Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler tow car

What year(s) Jeep Wrangler makes the best tow car?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #2

Seen all models, all years in tow, all have transfer cases that can put in neutral,

Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

I can only speak for our 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I just have to put the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park and we are good to tow. It doesn't have lock steering so no need for the key in the ignition and no worries of draining the battery.

Irishguy
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
I can only speak for our 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. I just have to put the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park and we are good to tow. It doesn't have lock steering so no need for the key in the ignition and no worries of draining the battery.

Irishguy
X2. 2010 Sahara, tows like a dream. No steering lock. Transfer case in neutral and go.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	154388
Old 03-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

01 Wrangler 5 speed stick. Transfer case in N stick in 3rd gear does have a steering lock so key in to unlock. Never any issues. Cheap 50.00 base plate.

And Mr. Wrangler waiting to do some work in a couple hours.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

We tow a 2000 wrangler transfer case in N gear shift in N or P makes no difference, great tow
Old 03-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarShel View Post
We tow a 2000 wrangler transfer case in N gear shift in N or P makes no difference, great tow

I believe it makes a differance. Automatic trans should be in P.
Check out your owners manual.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarShel View Post
Should be in park. Prevents parasitic movement of internal components without pump running.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend 1997 or later TJ, LJ, JK, JKU. Earlier years can also be towed, but 1997 and later have better creature comforts.

We have a 2005 TJ.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #10

We tow an 09 JK 2 door. Hope to get my CJ on the road this summer and plan to tow that also when needed.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Wranglers after '08 do not have to keep the key in the ignition to tow. They use a chip in the key as security and don't have locking steering. As others said, just about any year can be towed but the newer ones are more convenient to set up without the key.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Jeep Wrangler tow car

Looking to go from a 2013 Edge to a 2017 Jeep Sahara. The instructions for readying the Jeep seem a bit of a hassle...engine on, engine off, shift to neutral, shift to reverse, parking brake on, parking brake off, shift to Park. With the Edge...put in neutral, put in accessory position, and go. Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudebbie View Post
Looking to go from a 2013 Edge to a 2017 Jeep Sahara. The instructions for readying the Jeep seem a bit of a hassle...engine on, engine off, shift to neutral, shift to reverse, parking brake on, parking brake off, shift to Park. With the Edge...put in neutral, put in accessory position, and go. Thoughts?
fsudebbie,
What you're reading in that prep section is a redundency for safety. They, (Jeep) has taken something that is seriously simple and made it HARDER in the aspect of attempting to provide for what they think is, the best possible procedure for prepping for towing. If I'm not mistaken, it says the EXACT same thing in our 2015 manual. We have towed 9 different Jeeps over a 30 year period and, while there were/are minor differences between the older ones and our (and yours) newer ones in terms of prepping for towing, in reality the procedure is very simple.

By Jeep asking you to shut the engine down for steps in between others, it's basically eliminating any potential gear grinding from moving parts while shifting the transfer case and engine, to end up it the desired postitions, IF, the engine is still kept running. Only recently has Jeep inserted this part of the procedure of shutting the engine down prior to other steps.

When we're getting ready to tow, I do all the outside prep and the wife drives the Jeep up to me to guide her for hooking up to the tow bar. Once we're connected, I give her the thumbs up and she then put's the Jeep into reverse, in an effort to LOCK the tow bar extensions in the fully extended positions. Once it's locked, she begins all the necessary moves to render the Jeep ready to tow, on the inside, while do all the final hooking up of stuff on the outside.

She never shuts the engine down 'till she's completed all the right moves for the transfer case and transmission. Yes, on rare occasions, there MIGHT be a tad bit of grinding but, it's not extensive nor, has it ever caused any damage. It's not done every time.

Please do not be intimidated by the steps that Jeep has laid out in the manual. If you choose, follow them to the letter. It's your Jeep and no one would want any harm to come to it while prepping for towing. After owning, working on, driving, altering, and having a ton of fun all over the western U.S. with 9 different Jeeps, you kind-a know what's needed and what's not for various and given situations.

You think the procedure for prepping a newer model Jeep is intimidating, you should try the procedures for a 2012 F-150 and up. Each manufacturer has their way of making a flat tow vehicle they produce, ready for towing. As stated, Jeep just recently started having the owners shut the engine down in between steps. We've never done it. Good luck on your new '17 Jeep, they're a great toad and, fun for all other situations.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Jeep Wrangler tow car

Scott,
What a great response! Thank you very much for clarifying some of those steps. I guess I'm spoiled by the ease of the Ford. I'm sure once I do this a few times it will seem easy. We were going to tow our 2015 F150 4x4, but decided not to because of the length. Do you use a trickle charge while hooked up? I'm using Blue Ox and have a trickle charge on the Edge.
Debbie

Tags
tow