Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
we recently traded our 06 pony for a 2010 wranler{2dr 6 spd cause its a jeep} loven it as much fun to drive as the pony car would have kept the mustang but no parking space in the garage and i hate dirty cars the mustang seldom seen rain ,the jeep is a blast to drive and tows behind the mh like almost not there .keep the cobra if you can but if not you probably wont be dissappoint
brianj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwechols View Post
We are in the process of going from trailer to a motorhome. we have not camped/ RV'D in a few years and now we are going back to RVing (i'm not going to call it camping, as that involves pitching a tent)- we are seriously looking at a class C ( maybe a class a) in the 30' range - most all we have looked at are V10 Ford E450's
Now for the real question - the "toad" I have a 2001cobra convertible
with very few miles on itthat i love to drive but i hear the are not easy to set up for towing or should not be towed 4 down ???
I have considered swaping for a jeep wrangler for the "toad" the jeep seems to be a real favorite in the RV community. I don't think the weight of either car car will be much different - jeep wrangler @ 3780 and the cobra @ 3560, but is there an issue with tow and brake systems that would be better on one than the other.
My wife does not like to drive the cobra so that is the 1st problem and I have never had a jeep - maybe its time
I've read the other responses and hope to not repeat any:
Can't decide between a cobra and a jeep? Isn't that like having to decide between a steak and gumbo? They're both outstanding but so different. If I took the cobra it would be trailered out of the weather but the Jeep can handle most anything. We pull our '07 Jeep Sahara 2 door with 4 down. We don't have brakes in it and will get them soon. It's a rough riding sonofagun and the back seat isn't practical except for contortionists, but it's just for us two and we like to explore.
We had Ford V-10s in a 2007 27' Phoenix Cruiser on an E-350 and a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain. Worked fine except in the Rockies where we lived and drove most of the time, then way under powered.
Now we have a 2008 Safari Simba toyhauler. If you can find one, check it out. 38', 300 CID Cummins straight 6, Allison 5 spd. with engine brake, FRED purrs quietly under our feet without interfering with conversation. The back 10' is either a fine bedroom with sink and storage, or the garage for the Honda GW trike which is put in and out with a 3300# capacity Tommy lift like the furniture/ appliance delivery trucks. 8 flush D rings hold the trike in place and it's never exposed to the road crud. The Simba is like the Safari Treks but with the added 10 feet and only made for 2 years, I believe. There were 4 models: 3 with 3 slides, and ours with only 1.
Towing 4 down will involve either a battery disconnect switch or disconnecting the battery; AND leaving the key in the ignition at ON so the front wheels can turn left/right with the RV turns. We failed to do that on our first trip out of the mountains and by the time we were told the front wheels weren't turning at 50 miles we were down to the steel ply on the front tires.
This stuff is an adventure, for sure, so enjoy and roll with the punches. You may never get it perfect but have fun trying your options.
bseidler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #17

in reading the owners manual it says to place the key in the assy position
if this does this unlock the steering on the wrangler -- why disconnect the battery - i know this makes the computer reset everytime ???
I think the jeep is a better towing option than the mustang -- I just have to convince her to let me have them both... going to take a look at the 07 +> wranglers -- our son with rubicon says the are much better ride than -< 07 wranglers.
pwechols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
If I did this correctly this is the RV towing pages from the wrangler owners manual - if not there you can get the manuals from the jeep.com web pages

Attachment 4636
Thanks pwechols, I have the owners manual and the same section for my 2010. What I'm asking is where does it say you can't use an evasive aux brake in a jeep. It's news to me after all my research.

The 2010 does not have a wheel lock so you don't have to leave the key in or pull fuses. They just haven't updates the owners manual.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #19

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I tow a 4 Dr with auto xmission and the M&G braking system which requires air.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
My manual seems more detailed than what was posted by someone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Thanks pwechols, I have the owners manual and the same section for my 2010. What I'm asking is where does it say you can't use an evasive aux brake in a jeep. It's news to me after all my research.

The 2010 does not have a wheel lock so you don't have to leave the key in or pull fuses. They just haven't updates the owners manual.

Good luck
Tom
My '07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara manual is much more detailed than the info that was posted from someone else concerning towing with an RV. If you had the same year as mine I would attempt to print some of my info. Your Jeep is so new that some of the info might be different than mine. I think they eliminated the wheel lock for one thing. Be sure to check with Jeep before you buy an aux brake system and find out it is not suitable. If you want me to, I'll post the section regarding not hooking anything into the vacuum line or brake line. Just ask and I'll put it in a post verbatim. Joe
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
The 2007 and 2008 Wranglers have a steering lock that engages when the steering wheel is turned 180 degrees. The 2009 and 2010 Wranglers do not have the steering lock feature. On the 07 and 08 Wranglers, the ignition key must be turned to the accessory position to defeat the steering lock while towing--the 09 and 10 Wranglers can be towed without the key--a better deal. On the 07 and 08's you pull the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse to keep the battery from discharging while towing--another benefit of the 09 and 10's which don't require this.

We plug the Brake Buddy into the hot plug on the lower right hand side of the center stack. This plug is hot even when the IOD fuse is pulled.
I would not consider towing a JK model Wrangler which weighs almost 4000 pounds without an auxillary braking system of some ilk.

We use a Blue Ox base plate, Aventa LX tow bar and brake and turn signal lighting bulb kit.

Good luck towing and RVing.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd consider a trailer (Fully enclosed) for the Cobra myself.. If that is your motor home has the towing capacity...

NOTE: the advantages. You are towing fully trailered, no wear on the cobra save for a bit of suspension play. it arrives looking like it was just washed and waxed (Which of course you did at the last CG just before trailering it) and no water spots if it rains cause you parked it IN THE GARAGE. (Trailer)

Of course... That's only cause that is one of the few Fords that truly impresses me.

Otherwise.. Id' tow the Jeep 4-down. In fact.. I am hoping one I"m looking at does not sell till I come up with the cash.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I think I'd consider a trailer (Fully enclosed) for the Cobra myself.. If that is your motor home has the towing capacity...
A Ford E450 class C is not going to have that kind of capacity, not even close, not even half. Even an F53 class A won't.
You need a big diesel pusher, or kodiak super C to get that kind of towing capacity.

I'd consider towing the cobra 4 down, it would be a gas to have available.

I tow a jeep TJ, 2000 model. Wranglers are fun to drive too, and the top goes down which is always a plus in my book.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #24

We looked at a new 2010 wrangler Sahara Saturday.As i said before the wife won't drive the cobra ?? BUT she liked the Wrangler - red no less. $$ kind of expensive i think - but at least its something she will drive - she even said she might trade her ford escape for it - that would be the ultimate as i probably would keep the cobra - now just how do you put a that cobra 425hp engine in the jeep ? the sales person did say that they expect a change in the jeep warranties for 2011 - not 5/100,000 any more --but that might be a sales pitch
also talked with the service manager about the brakes deal - the dealership here WILL NOT install any aux system.. says to take it to a RV center and any permanent system will void a lot if not all warranty
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
now just how do you put a that cobra 425hp engine in the jeep ?
If you're a mechanical person, perhaps look at an older jeep?

Winter project on my 2000 someday will be to yoik the inline six and slide in a 5.3 V8 / 4L60e trans combo from a wrecked chevy pickup. It's a nice swap, adapters, mounts, and even computer stuff are readily available.

As for manuals and warrantees and braking systems...
If the transfer case has neutral, you can tow it (if you're wife's escape is AWD, it is towable ya know.)
Steering must be unlocked. Key on, or go inside the column and disable the locking mechanism (that is what I did)
Braking is a MUST, and a permanently installed system is much more trustworthy and easier to deal with.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #26

"(if you're wife's escape is AWD, it is towable ya know.)"
It is an AWD but automatic - only a selector for auto and full i think

if its towable - details on just how do you do this
it was my impression that this vehicle is not towable
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #27

2004 Escape is auto - not towable according to the link below
Link has info on towables 2002 - 2010
my not be the definative work on this but answered my question

SO... I suppose its still a Jeep Wrangler

Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide

might be of some help to others
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
look in your owners manual for the escape. Escape / mariner was one of the ones on our shopping list before we decided on the wrangler.

New 2010 AWD automatics ARE towable. So are 08's and 09's. We didn't look any older when we were shopping.

Nevermind the websites, look in the owners manual under "recreational towing" or "motorhome towing" the info will be in there.