Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler vs Mustang Cobra

We are in the process of going from trailer to a motorhome. we have not camped/ RV'D in a few years and now we are going back to RVing (i'm not going to call it camping, as that involves pitching a tent)- we are seriously looking at a class C ( maybe a class a) in the 30' range - most all we have looked at are V10 Ford E450's
Now for the real question - the "toad" I have a 2001cobra convertible
with very few miles on itthat i love to drive but i hear the are not easy to set up for towing or should not be towed 4 down ???
I have considered swaping for a jeep wrangler for the "toad" the jeep seems to be a real favorite in the RV community. I don't think the weight of either car car will be much different - jeep wrangler @ 3780 and the cobra @ 3560, but is there an issue with tow and brake systems that would be better on one than the other.
My wife does not like to drive the cobra so that is the 1st problem
and I have never had a jeep - maybe its time
pwechols is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
JVJ

The Jeep Wrangler is a very popular choice as a tow vehicle. Now that being said, the Jeep Wrangler is also a "Love it or Hate it Vehicle". They are a very short wheelbase, rough ride, can be a handful in high wind, uncomfortable vehicle. They do however have the ability to go just about anywhere you could want to travel, both on and off road. They are cheap and easy to set up for being a Toad/Dingy.
First I would recommend going out and test driving a few different Wranglers...you did not mention if you are looking to buy new or used. There are a lot of difference between the Wrangler TJ (1997-2006) and the new Wrangler (2007-current).
I would also recommend that you do additional research on a few of the Jeep Forum online. There is a lot of valuable information to read as to what to look for when buying.
Good luck in you choice!
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

tks - jvj

my son has an 05 rubicon which i have driven some
it's of course heavier and stiffer than a wrangler sport - sahara which is what i would use - i'm sort of baffeled by the aux brake systems - trailers come with them - i have read some on this - anyone have a comment on these in the wranglers
Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwechols View Post
tks - jvj

my son has an 05 rubicon which i have driven some
it's of course heavier and stiffer than a wrangler sport - sahara which is what i would use - i'm sort of baffeled by the aux brake systems - trailers come with them - i have read some on this - anyone have a comment on these in the wranglers
We have an 03 Sport. We use the Brakemaster air brake from Roadmaster. You should use a toad brake with any toad and many states require their use.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwechols View Post
We are in the process of going from trailer to a motorhome. we have not camped/ RV'D in a few years and now we are going back to RVing (i'm not going to call it camping, as that involves pitching a tent)- we are seriously looking at a class C ( maybe a class a) in the 30' range - most all we have looked at are V10 Ford E450's
Now for the real question - the "toad" I have a 2001cobra convertible
with very few miles on itthat i love to drive but i hear the are not easy to set up for towing or should not be towed 4 down ???
I have considered swaping for a jeep wrangler for the "toad" the jeep seems to be a real favorite in the RV community. I don't think the weight of either car car will be much different - jeep wrangler @ 3780 and the cobra @ 3560, but is there an issue with tow and brake systems that would be better on one than the other.
My wife does not like to drive the cobra so that is the 1st problem
and I have never had a jeep - maybe its time
I would think the only way you are going to pull that Cobra behind a C is with a trailer. Jeeps are great if you want to do some 4 wheeling. I would not want to drive one coast to coast, but for shorter trips they a comfortable enough. As far as the difference between the new Wranglers and the TJs all I can say is the straight 6 is great on the TJs.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Remco advises a 2001 Mustang w/ manual trans is towable 4 down. An automatic will require a driveshaft disconnect.
We researched towing our GT Convertible either 4 down with a disconnect or dolly. After considering damage from what the M/H kicks up and the low profile of the car we abandoned that idea.
We ended up with a Grand Vitara (I wanted another Wrangler, LW won).
IMO I think you'll be happier with a Wrangler..........even a Jeep will need front end protection when towing.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
If your Cobra is a manual you can tow it without drive line modification - if it is an automatic then you must make modifications - that is according to remcotowing.com website. My thoughts: Life is full of trade offs so you'll either have something fun to drive (both the Cobra & Jeep would be fun) or you need something less exciting but more to the wife's liking. Lot of folks in the past liked Saturn's - good economy, not to heavy and ready to tow. I tow a mini Cooper or a VW Trike - neither really practical but both enjoyable.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Well at least they have something in common. They are both convertible.

We have a 2010 jeep. The 2010's drive very comfortably compared to prior models. With the top off they become a fun vehicle. It even has a built in GPS and other gizmo's. My wife loves to drive it because it's so easy and goes just about everywhere you point it. If you like going off the beaten path, this is it.

We use the US Gear brake for it's ease of use once it's installed. Just plug it in and you're ready to go. I highly recomend any brand of aux brake system for safety of loved ones and others.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 4 dr. We haven't set it up as a toad yet, but our research leads us to believe that we will go with the
ReadyBrute Elite from NightShift Auto. It has the system built into the tow bar. It is not connected to the brake line or vacuum line and this is what Jeep requires. Even with automatic it can be towed four down. You do have to add a battery disconnect switch because the ignition has to be in the accessory position to prevent the steering wheel locking. Other than that there is nothing invasive about the system. If you want to save some money you could go with the 2 dr Wrangler and a lessor model than the Sahara. I had traded my 2dr in for the 4dr, but we weren't thinking of a toad at the time. We wanted the extra room. The longer wheel base of the JK 4dr gives a much better ride than the 2dr. I guess you would have to determine how much weight you want to pull and what you will do with it besides using it as a toad. Happy travels, Joe

I should add that you have to read the towing section of the manual before picking out any toad. The towing info in mine is very specific re use of the Jeep as a toad. Some people use towing systems that tie into the brake and/or the vacuum line, but you will see that the tow instructions from Jeep say that it is not to be done under any circumstances. I would only follow the manual and not what some aux brake system company says. I feel that if anything went wrong, accident or whatever, I want to know that I have done it according to Jeep.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the cool factor, I'd like the Cobra, but I would sure be worried about it getting chipped up from being towed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
AZloafer. Can you tell me in what section of the manual you found the info on brake systems approved. I've read the book a couple of times before installing the US Gear and talked to people in service and it's the first time I hear of this. I don't want to give out misinformation. Thanks. Tom.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing...

In my manual, I just looked in the index for towing and it directed me to several pages regarding the Jeep being towed by a recreational vehicle. I recall that the towing section is toward the back section of the manual. You may not have a steering wheel lock, but the '07 does have it. If you can't find it I could make a copy and send it to you. It is almost too much to post. Joe
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #13

Lots of good information..
All cobras are manual transmission 5 or 6 speed
the low set of the car is what worries me most - no room there. i have looked a few wranglers and they look like there is plenty of room for the tow equipment - and i see lots on the road behind MH's
The brake issue thing is probably the most concerning. I would like to investigate systems that are installed permently or the one that is the drawbar thing - with all the jeeps towed you would think there would be a "factory" option.
Look at what they did with the rubicon - all the aftermarket stuff from the factory. Why not a "toad" package. Is there a way around the battery disconnect - if I am correct this resets all the electrical on the systems ie radio - computer etc
Old 07-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #14

If I did this correctly this is the RV towing pages from the wrangler owners manual - if not there you can get the manuals from the jeep.com web pages

2008 wrangler recreational towing.pdf