Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Any water problems?
YES...FLOODED 1 5.88%
Leaking around doors 3 17.65%
Leaking under dash on firewall 0 0%
No problem at all 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep wrangler water leaks?

I wanted to hear from people on the subject of "water leak problems" with thier jeeps over the years. I know a lot of rv folks use the jeep as I do but after buying and having water problems I was just wondering how much of a problem it is. Some people have had no trouble with water and others have had thiers lemon lawed that I have talked to, so if you have one lets hear from you.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure if you are refering to the water leaks on the rag top Wranglers. Mine had a water leak on both the driver and passenger side. When it rained, and the Jeep was sitting still, water would leak ofrom the top above where the door frame came in contact with the top. On the Jeep Forum a fix was posted and I followed the instructions to fix the leak. It really works. soft top water fall fix? - Page 2.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

The first winter I had our '08 Rubicon I had a small dribble from the split roof above the dash. I removed the two roof pieces and wiped the seals with a damp cloth and have never had an issue again. This includes our two month trip to Alaska earlier this year with a LOT of rain.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We had an '07 4dr with the "Freedom Top", if DW tightened the threaded knobs to secure the removable pieces it would leak, if she just used the flip over things (pardon the technical terms ) it wouldn't leak. Turns out the threaded knobs put enough stress on the roof to warp it a bit. We figured this out 'cause she's not the type to do "unnecessary work" and left them out after the first couple of times and put 2 and 2 together.

'07 with soft top never leaked, '01 never leaked with either top on it. '56 CJ that I had for years leaked no matter what you did to it.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I am not sure if you are refering to the water leaks on the rag top Wranglers. Mine had a water leak on both the driver and passenger side. When it rained, and the Jeep was sitting still, water would leak ofrom the top above where the door frame came in contact with the top. On the Jeep Forum a fix was posted and I followed the instructions to fix the leak. It really works. soft top water fall fix? - Page 2.
There have been problems with both kind of tops with people I know, I was just wanting to hear from owners on this subject. My first trip for the problem the dealer had it for 3 weeks, next time 2 days and now it has been back for the 3rd time for water getting the floors wet.After the second time they had my doors adjusted so tight your about sprained your thumb opening the door and when you opened it the door poped open, door latchs were adjusted so tight. I told them that this was wrong to have any door so tight so they did not leak. The back of my doors were sucked in past the rear body 1/4". My wife just about could not put enough pressure on the door button to open it so back it went. I have dryed my floors out 3 or 4 times in my garage. We did not notice this problem as we bought the jeep just to take on vacations with us as a toad, we did not drive it as a everyday auto.. When I learned of this problem I set it outside of my garage when it would rain and that is when I noticed the problem. In 2011 I looked at a new 2011 on the lot and before I drove it I was checking it out and when I looked inside the passenger door the floor had 2" of water standing in it, that ended the sale of that one but I still did not do my homework to know that this has been a problem with some for quite sometime. I love my Sahara and just want it fixed as it is fun to take with us to sight see when on vacation.
Just wondering where the poll results show up as I have never done a poll thread?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
1st wrangler a 2010 two door 6500 miles no leak
2nd wrangler a 2011 four door auto w/hard top (not a real jeep but my wife likes or should i say tolerates it) no leaks on either 1 ,to date only complaints are the low tire warning light goes on for no reason and takes a visit to the dealer to reset and clock loses a minuet a week fiat say no fix for clock i guess it is fine german/American/italian engineering
brianj
Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

this happened to us on our two door TJ ,When the a/c defroster control was left on or in the open door position. When we travel towing we now close the switch but in extream wet tows I still see water on the floor pass side. I think it is seal in a/c pletaum
Johnandcara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
1st wrangler a 2010 two door 6500 miles no leak
2nd wrangler a 2011 four door auto w/hard top (not a real jeep but my wife likes or should i say tolerates it) no leaks on either 1 ,to date only complaints are the low tire warning light goes on for no reason and takes a visit to the dealer to reset and clock loses a minuet a week fiat say no fix for clock i guess it is fine german/American/italian engineering
brianj
Brian--you might check the air pressure in your spare tire next time the TPS light goes on. We found that tire has its own sensor.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Our Wrangler is nearly a year old and no leaks. We have never had the hardtop off, though.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I had a 2002 Wrangler with a passenger side door leak from day one ( we bought it used 3-4 years ago ). Whenever it rained the passenger side floor mat and rug would get soaked. I tried a new door gasket....no good. I tried removing the hard top and cleaning and re-setting it.....no good. I decided recently to trade it in for a 2007 Honda CRV . Hopefully the next owner of my Wrangler can figure it out.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #11

Our '05 leaked so bad I thought I was going to have to pull the floor plugs, but first I'd try one last thing.

I put the top and doors back on, sure enough it quit.

The only leak it had was when I didn't seat the top correctly. Even then it was only a few drops.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My '47 leaked, as did my '60, the '67 and even the '76. All were soft tops, tops designed as an afterthought to keep the worst of the elements off you but with no real attempt at a good seal. I remember finding a snow drift INSIDE our '76 after a snowstorm one time.

Fast forward to our '07 with a soft top. It was as tight as any convertible top (and I've owned a number of convertables over the years) I'd ever owned. Our '12 has a hardtop and we've not had any problems to date.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #13

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1999 Wrangler has been mighty good .No leaks and is as tight as a new one.Thought about trading up,but decided why-since this one is doing a great job.Like it best with the hardtop on.
roadmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE: The service depy. called today and said a factory rep. came in to help out with this problem(6 kj's sitting with problems) He said that they were working on it and that they had things way to tight. So we will see what happens next. It is raining like cats&dogs here in Penna. and is going to turn to snow tonight, winds of 30mph plus and up to 15" of the whit stuff for santa's sled.

Tags
leaks, water