Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #15

Is "wandering" a feature of Rubicons with the stock 32" tires? On three back to back test drives with Rubicons, they had to be "herded" down the road, wandering side to side at city speeds, while the comparably equipped Saharas drove straight and true.

We like the locking axel feature and the disconnecting sway bar feature on the Rubicons but not the "street" manners. Is the factory setting for caster causing the wandering and is it a simple alignment job to cure it permanently?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
I've owned an 07 and a 12 and never had that problem with the stock tires. I think somethings wrong with the test vehicle.

exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I've owned an 07 and a 12 and never had that problem with the stock tires. I think somethings wrong with the test vehicle.
I definitely second that. There should be NO VEHICLES on this planet that are brand new, right out of the box, that WANDER. The Jeep, in the "Wrangler" form, as in Rubicon, Sport and more, has been drastically improved over the last 10-12 years. In pure stock form, they should go straight as an arrow, down the road.

Now, you start goofing around with the suspension, lifts, ultra-large tires attitude (little lower in front or higher) and, you can and sometimes do, have handling issues. Most of the lift kits manufactured now days are pretty good in setting up adjustment to make the Jeep handle at least "close" to stock. But, in you "test drive" case, that's really odd that you found three different Rubi's that wandered.

No, it is not a characteristic feature of a Rubicon to "wander". While the Rubi's do have different differentials than the Sport, "X" model and whatever other models are made, they are setup for proper road manners which, is about 99.9% of the that models life.

If you're really interested in good quality off roading and, know that you will need the differential operational characteristics of a Rubi, i.e. Locking and limited slip, than surely go and test drive other Rubi's at different dealerships or, if you find one that you really like and it wanders, then simply tell them, "you get no money 'till that's corrected". and, do not, repeat DO NOT let any clueless sales person tell you that the Wandering is normal for Jeep Rubi's. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I definitely second that. There should be NO VEHICLES on this planet that are brand new, right out of the box, that WANDER. The Jeep, in the "Wrangler" form, as in Rubicon, Sport and more, has been drastically improved over the last 10-12 years. In pure stock form, they should go straight as an arrow, down the road.

Now, you start goofing around with the suspension, lifts, ultra-large tires attitude (little lower in front or higher) and, you can and sometimes do, have handling issues. Most of the lift kits manufactured now days are pretty good in setting up adjustment to make the Jeep handle at least "close" to stock. But, in you "test drive" case, that's really odd that you found three different Rubi's that wandered.

No, it is not a characteristic feature of a Rubicon to "wander". While the Rubi's do have different differentials than the Sport, "X" model and whatever other models are made, they are setup for proper road manners which, is about 99.9% of the that models life.

If you're really interested in good quality off roading and, know that you will need the differential operational characteristics of a Rubi, i.e. Locking and limited slip, than surely go and test drive other Rubi's at different dealerships or, if you find one that you really like and it wanders, then simply tell them, "you get no money 'till that's corrected". and, do not, repeat DO NOT let any clueless sales person tell you that the Wandering is normal for Jeep Rubi's. Good luck.
Scott
To address the issues:

1) A stock RUBI will wander a bit and is loud.
2) A lifted RUBI with 35 x 12.50 wanders a bit and is louder.
3) Both tow GREAT 4 down with no noticeable towing tire wear.
4) You put 35s on a RUBI and you will need a big trailer to tow.
5) A JK RUBI in any flavor is a great off roader, looks fantastic, and is a fun runabout.

No matter what you do to a RUBI, it will be a fun and enjoyable experience in a TOAD, off-roader, and grocery getter.

dubdub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-12 18.45.43.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	74042  
Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #19

Well,
All I can say is, after building SEVEN different Jeeps, (1) CJ 5, (2) CJ-7s, (2) YJs) and (2) TJs, the last one being the '04 Rubi, absolutely NONE of them ever wandered, stock or otherwise. I did all my own alignments which, included setting caster and tow-in-out, and they all performed flawlessly, all lifted, all setup with everything possible for high quality off roading. The newest one that we purchased of all of them was the '04 Rubi and it was only 18K miles old when we got it.

It drove straight as an arrow down the road. And, you're right about it being just a tad loud. The primary reason is, Jeep had Good Year design those absolutely HORRIBLE Cement truck tires for the Rubi that came stock on them. The first thing I and every one I know that purchased those year Rubies did was, shi.... can those tires, even when they were brand new and get some good ones for it. Usually they were changed from the 16" wheel size that was bone stock, to a 15" and, either 33s or 35s. The reason we went with 15" wheels was because they had safety beads built into them and, there was a lot more choices in 15" tires than there was in 16" back then.

Well, things have changed and, 15" wheels and tires are almost phased out completely. Yes, you can still get them but, they're slowly becoming a thing of the past.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #20

We too tow ours with 35 inch tires and a lift.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
All I can say is, after building SEVEN different Jeeps, (1) CJ 5, (2) CJ-7s, (2) YJs) and (2) TJs, the last one being the '04 Rubi, absolutely NONE of them ever wandered, stock or otherwise. I did all my own alignments which, included setting caster and tow-in-out, and they all performed flawlessly, all lifted, all setup with everything possible for high quality off roading. The newest one that we purchased of all of them was the '04 Rubi and it was only 18K miles old when we got it.

It drove straight as an arrow down the road. And, you're right about it being just a tad loud. The primary reason is, Jeep had Good Year design those absolutely HORRIBLE Cement truck tires for the Rubi that came stock on them. The first thing I and every one I know that purchased those year Rubies did was, shi.... can those tires, even when they were brand new and get some good ones for it. Usually they were changed from the 16" wheel size that was bone stock, to a 15" and, either 33s or 35s. The reason we went with 15" wheels was because they had safety beads built into them and, there was a lot more choices in 15" tires than there was in 16" back then.

Well, things have changed and, 15" wheels and tires are almost phased out completely. Yes, you can still get them but, they're slowly becoming a thing of the past.
Scott
Maybe you are not noticing it. I have built as many (actually more) than you, owned late models and older Willy's Jeeps. I think "wander" is a loose interpretation. All of them will follow the roads grooves and pull the Jeep where it wants to go. Call it a "wander" or not, those big tires have a mind of their own at times......

Tags
tires