Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Jeep Wrangler with BIG tires 35x12.50

Here's an interesting question for the group. Just bought a nice Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 3" lift kit and 35x12.50 tires. The tires are not the big mud tires, but they are definitely not 17" highway tires.

I was thinking about (and would prefer), to go with a tow bar setup. However now I am thinking about going with a flat trailer.

Looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance

- Mike

mmullane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

I tow my 2008 Wrangler with 35 inch Goodyear MTRs with no issues. Why do you think there would be a problem? Our Jeep has almost 50K on the odo and probably another 30K towing (includes towing all around the country and Alaska).

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmullane View Post
Here's an interesting question for the group. Just bought a nice Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 3" lift kit and 35x12.50 tires. The tires are not the big mud tires, but they are definitely not 17" highway tires.

I was thinking about (and would prefer), to go with a tow bar setup. However now I am thinking about going with a flat trailer.

Looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance

- Mike
Mike,
Do not, REPEAT, DO NOT worry about towing with those tires. There's a few zillion Rvrs out there that tow their Jeeps with tires that size and larger and NEVER have any issues. We've towed well over 50,000 miles with (7) seven different Jeeps, all with those size tires. All our Jeeping buddies do the exact same. None of us ever used any trailers or, did the rediculas "tire change" thing when we got to our destination. The Jeeps towed fine, no wandering, no steering issues, no "lock-up" in any tight turns while hooked up to the coaches, nothing.

I've towed with Mud Terrain 35s and All Terrain 35s and NEVER had any issues. There is and NEVER WAS any wear issues either. They never scuffed or, wore funny or, cupped or, anything. The only thing I did when towing Jeeps was raise the tire pressure in the Jeeps tires to about 45-50 psi. to simply decrease the rolling resistance in them for making it easier for the coach to pull them. I don't know if that ever did any good or not. But, simply hook up your new Jeep and tow away, have a good time. Below are pics of our last Jeep, an '04 Rubicon with 35s on it, parked in worthless Circus-Circus camping area in Vegas.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had multiple jeeps lifted and on oversize tires, towing 4 down. Easy, and no problems at all.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
KIX

2013 Rubicon Unlimited with 35 x 12.50 tires here ......... no problem
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
bap

as stated above....im a jeep nut..you will have no problems
Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The only thing you need to be aware of is your tow bar angle, it should be relatively flat (parallel to the road). Your tow bar manufacturer will provide a spec for the maximum angle. You will likely need a drop receiver flipped upside down to raise the receiver side of tow bar. Other than that, don't leave home without the Jeep... and make sure it has lots of trail dirt on it at all times .
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #8

I know i am the 1 in a million BUT that is all we had was problems towing a jeep stock-235 tires mh turned right jeep went left, lifted 2inches 31 inch tires same problem, lifted 4 inch 33 tires same result 4 alignments 3 different shops 2 tow bars same problem?? Never owned a jeep that didn't leave me on the side of the road! traded jeep off on a new tahoe all problems fixed more room. That said i loved all my jeeps and would buy another wrangler in a heartbeat. just don't tell my wife!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwest View Post
I know i am the 1 in a million BUT that is all we had was problems towing a jeep stock-235 tires mh turned right jeep went left, lifted 2inches 31 inch tires same problem, lifted 4 inch 33 tires same result 4 alignments 3 different shops 2 tow bars same problem?? Never owned a jeep that didn't leave me on the side of the road! traded jeep off on a new tahoe all problems fixed more room. That said i loved all my jeeps and would buy another wrangler in a heartbeat. just don't tell my wife!
Caster was not set correctly.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #10

You know i would say yes but i got the print out at all shops including the jeep dealer and it was right on. Called blue ox once they told me to just lock the steering wheel in the straight position and DRAG it through the corners! REALLY!!! I just have that kind of luck! still think they are the best toad out there. Really miss that jeep it was a very expensive jeep lost my &%# on the deal.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #11

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Do not, REPEAT, DO NOT worry about towing with those tires. There's a few zillion Rvrs out there that tow their Jeeps with tires that size and larger and NEVER have any issues. We've towed well over 50,000 miles with (7) seven different Jeeps, all with those size tires. All our Jeeping buddies do the exact same. None of us ever used any trailers or, did the rediculas "tire change" thing when we got to our destination. The Jeeps towed fine, no wandering, no steering issues, no "lock-up" in any tight turns while hooked up to the coaches, nothing.

I've towed with Mud Terrain 35s and All Terrain 35s and NEVER had any issues. There is and NEVER WAS any wear issues either. They never scuffed or, wore funny or, cupped or, anything. The only thing I did when towing Jeeps was raise the tire pressure in the Jeeps tires to about 45-50 psi. to simply decrease the rolling resistance in them for making it easier for the coach to pull them. I don't know if that ever did any good or not. But, simply hook up your new Jeep and tow away, have a good time. Below are pics of our last Jeep, an '04 Rubicon with 35s on it, parked in worthless Circus-Circus camping area in Vegas.
Scott

I think the votes are in, Going with towing four down. Thanks for the awesome feedback !!!!
mmullane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I tow my 12 Rubicon JK with a 2.5 " Rock Krawler lift kit running Nitto 35" tires. I use a 4 inch receiver hitch drop bar reversed and it makes the towbar perfectly level. I've towed it 20,000 miles without problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	72772  
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When our Rubicon was totaled it had 80k miles on the odometer and probably another 30k as a toad, with the stock mud terrains still on it. Must have been something about the compound used in those tires. The '12 Sahara now has 30k on the odometer, maybe another 15k as a toad, and I'm guessing I'll be replacing the stock all terrains well before 50k on the odometer.

As other posts have suggested, a proper alignment and you should have no issues.

For the record, this is our fifth Jeep, never had one leave me stranded, on road or off. That included the '60 that threw a rod while being abused on a sand hill climb (4 cylinder). It still got me back to camp (and later had a Buick V6 installed to replace the old quad).
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwest View Post
You know i would say yes but i got the print out at all shops including the jeep dealer and it was right on. Called blue ox once they told me to just lock the steering wheel in the straight position and DRAG it through the corners! REALLY!!! I just have that kind of luck! still think they are the best toad out there. Really miss that jeep it was a very expensive jeep lost my &%# on the deal.
Maybe I should have said that the caster was not set correctly for being towed. But, correctly set caster will force the wheels to return to straight. Positive caster provides for self-centering. Your Jeep did not have enough positive caster.

Tags
tires