Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
NC25T... there are a lot of various lift kits out there! I went with AEV because it was so universally recommended by a lot of people who know much better than I do what to go with. The AEV 2.5" Coil Lift kit is well-engineered and well-built, widely known and used.

And, interestingly, the AEV 2.5" kit gives a nicer, more comfortable ride than the stock set-up!

If you decide to go with this kit, make sure to add the geometry correction brackets which are standard on their higher kits, but may be optional with the 2.5" kit.

2.5" lift with 35" tires is a nice, happy medium and will raise a Jeep 4" over stock, which I think is plenty for most off-road purposes. And not so tall as to be overkill for a daily driver. You will definitely notice a 4" lift when getting in and out of the Jeep..... the extra effort helps keep you youthful!
The AEV is a nice kit and you have a great looking Jeep. Love that color and the AEV Pintler wheels just work so well with the whole Jeep.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
This is turning out to be a great Wrangler thread. Glad that so many are chiming in with their Wranglers.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We love our Wrangler too!
It's a stock JK Sport model, but gets me to sights where the tourists can't go. Rock crawling is nifty, but we get into it well enough to know that it ain't the boulder or river you cross, it's the overlooks and critters that Disney only wishes to copy that make it so grand.
Don't you love the full dress Jeeps that will hardly see dust let alone some good mud! They will never know the honor and pride of a good Arizona pinstripe!
The Journey is Our Destination

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Dave... you're right, the stock Jeeps are pretty capable just as is.

The heavily built-up Wranglers with big lifts and tire, that never leave the pavement are often called "mall crawlers". Sometimes "mommy crawlers".
Old 04-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I second the AEV lift...very smooth on the road but plenty of articulation. We did a 2200 mile trip from socal to Moab and down through western CO and the suspension combined with the very comfortable seats, made that trip a real pleasure!
Great looking Wrangler, tankcj!

Jeep seats are really well-designed to deal with the off-road bumps!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Nice lookin' Jeeps here, and YES, I have to agree, gotta love them Jeeps.

Here is ours with our coach. Sometimes she rides in comfort in the trailer, other times she's flat-towed.

Corkscrew Gulch in SW Colorado.

Side trip into Glacier.

And all shined up for a night out on the town.

Ours like others started out as a blank canvas and I have built it myself from the ground up. Including the machining and fabrication of the suspension, bumpers and everything in between.

Here is a complete buildup of mine.
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...R-Build-Thread

Mike.
Mike... you are the Jeep man! Very nice.

Speaking of Glacier NP... amazing place, isn't it. We were there a couple of years ago.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dave... you're right, the stock Jeeps are pretty capable just as is.

The heavily built-up Wranglers with big lifts and tire, that never leave the pavement are often called "mall crawlers". Sometimes "mommy crawlers".
Mike is indeed the Man... hope to meet him in person in a few days.

Slightly off topic but a couple of pics further defining Mall Rated Jeepers
NOTE: one of my best friends could be a charter member!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crawler.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	123271   Click image for larger version

Name:	mallrated_zps35177dbf.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	123272  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #35

I totally love this thread and do not want to take it sideways but I have a couple of questions. I plan on getting a Wrangler Rubicon HR and plan to add a 2.5 to 3" lift, bigger tires, winch, etc. I have always owned a 4 wheel drive trucks but this will be my first Jeep. I would consider myself a novice 4 wheeler.

Which option as it relates to 4 wheelin
2 door or 4 door
Auto or Manual

Which option as it relates to towing
flat or dolly
Auto or Manual

zmotorsports, how big is the trailer? Could you fit a Polaris RZR in the trailer with the Unlimited? Could you fit the Unlimited and touring motorcycle?

Thanks
BrokeDown
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mike... you are the Jeep man! Very nice.

Speaking of Glacier NP... amazing place, isn't it. We were there a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the compliment and YES, Glacier NP is awesome. We love it up there.

Beautiful picture.

Mike.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Mike is indeed the Man... hope to meet him in person in a few days.

Slightly off topic but a couple of pics further defining Mall Rated Jeepers
NOTE: one of my best friends could be a charter member!
Thanks David, your too kind. Looking forward to meeting you as well in a few days.

Mike.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
I totally love this thread and do not want to take it sideways but I have a couple of questions. I plan on getting a Wrangler Rubicon HR and plan to add a 2.5 to 3" lift, bigger tires, winch, etc. I have always owned a 4 wheel drive trucks but this will be my first Jeep. I would consider myself a novice 4 wheeler.

2 door or 4 door
Auto or Manual

flat or dolly
Auto or Manual

zmotorsports, how big is the trailer? Could you fit a Polaris RZR in the trailer with the Unlimited? Could you fit the Unlimited and touring motorcycle?

Thanks
BrokeDown
My enclosed trailer is 26' with extra height and an RV extended tongue. With a 2-door Jeep a RZR would possibly fit, but doubtful with a 4-door. I haul our HD Ultra Classic in the nose and then the Jeep when we take both and they barely fit. I also have a 2' "L" shaped workbench and cabinets in the nose with toolbox, vise, etc. so if it weren't for that there would be a bit more room.

As for your questions about Jeeps, these are ONLY my opinions as others will have theirs. I also have a philosophy that there is an ass for every seat, meaning what one person likes in a vehicle someone else may not.

I prefer a 4-door for two reasons, the extra wheelbase is better for off-reading in "most" situations, but not all. The 4-door with its longer wheelbase have a better ride and I definitely like the extra interior room with the 4-door. The downside is the extra weight of the 4-door and the breakover angle is less so somewhat higher chance of high centering when going over obstacles. Unless of course you add some ground clearance.

When talking transmissions, either will flat-tow the same. You simply leave the manual in gear and put the transfer case in Neutral for flat-towing. With the automatic, you leave it in Park and put the transfer case in Neutral. For off-reading I prefer an automatic but I also am anal about putting an auxiliary transmission cooler on it. I prefer the stacked plate style of trans cooler run in series with the OEM cooler.

If traveling fire roads or mild trails either trans will be fine, but for easing over rocks and gently climbing up and over things I prefer an automatic transmission.

Again I have owned both and driven both in all situations above and this is merely my opinion(s).

Mike.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #39

It's funny how some jeep people state a wrangler 4dr isn't a real jeep, they state a 4dr can't do anything off-road, handles horribly and the list goes on.

My opinion is like z..... States above, in some situations a 4dr will handle the obstacle better while in other situations a 2dr will perform better. Obviously really tight switchbacks or tree obstacle and a 2dr can negotiate easier while other situations the longer wheelbase of the 4dr can make the job much easier.

I needed a 4dr for the extra room for hauling stuff inside as well as being able to haul heavier stuff on a trailer,

Also as mentioned it's easier to high center a 4dr thus it requires a bigger lift vs the 2dr to clear the same obstacle. A 2dr might clear a obstacle with a 2in lift while the 4dr might need say a 4in lift (guess) which gets very expensive...

Some will only use a manual off-road while others swear by the auto. As stated its personal preference... This is my first auto daily driver... Maybe I am just getting old but I like it, love the remote start in cold icy and snowy days
Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post

2 door or 4 door
Auto or Manual

flat or dolly
Auto or Manual
For off roading only, I could probably live with a 2 door, which gives some advantage in some situations, if I had to. But only with 2 people and no dog(s).

Given the choice, I'd much prefer the 4 door all-day, every-day.

I had a 2 door Wrangler Rubi Black Ops edition in all black - very cool Jeep bought pretty much on impulse.... I bought it brand new on a Sunday and by Wednesday it was back at the dealer and I came home in a Rubi Unlimited (4-door).

What I dislike about the 2 door is the poor handling at freeway speeds, the inconvenience involved in putting things or people in the back seat, and the overall more limited space for taking people, dogs, things. I found out quickly that these were very important things to me that I didn't realize when I initially bought the 2-door.

I carry a day-bag with me whenever I go out of the house, it has a variety of items in it (iPhone, iPad, earbuds, wallet, checkbook, sunglasses, S&W M&P .40 cal. pistol, 2 spare mags, and a nice quality camera). I always put this bag in the back seat before I get in. Fast and easy with the 4 door. Just doing that with the 2 door Wrangler was a PITA for me.

Go to a Jeep dealer, check out a 2 door and try putting things in and out of the back seat. You'll see what I mean. In addition, the space behind the back seat in a 2 door is very small. With the 4 door, access to the back seat is practically instantaneous and effortless AND there is a lot more space behind the backseat to carry stuff.

As for manual vs. auto for off-roading, I'll take auto every time. I've had some nice manual stick vehicles in my years and enjoyed them at the time, but at this point I'm done with them, especially when four wheeling. The auto trains works so well when off-roading that I'm glad to not have to think about clutching and shifting... I can concentrate more on keeping to my line and getting through sticky spots without harm to the vehicle. You can still manually downshift the auto transmission on the Jeep if you wish to.

Engines... I had a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited, which had the older engine and transmission. It was just ok. When I got the 2013 Wrangler Unlimited, I was amazed at how much nicer the new engine and transmission was. Given the choice, I'd go with the new engine and transmission every time. I think 2012 was the model year that Jeep went with the new engine and transmission.

Towing behind the motorhome, I'll go flat towing every time. I would hate to have a trailer that I would have to deal with. The Jeep is such a fine and easy toad (manual or auto) for flat-towing, that I wouldn't consider using a trailer, unless I needed the trailer for other purposes.

Others may and will have differing views... That's just what I have found works the best for me.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #41

Since our toad is my daily driver, I went 4 door auto. More room for dogs, gear, etc, also a smoother ride. We also have the hard top that also adds to the quieter, cooler (or warmer if it's cold) ride.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thanks for the compliment and YES, Glacier NP is awesome. We love it up there.

Beautiful picture.

Mike.
Thanks Mike.