Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

Smile Jeeps

Why are jeeps so popular for toads? As my search reveals, they aren't very reliable....we are currently looking for a toad and our search seems difficult with limited funds. So, will be searching for a used vehicle. We will be getting our 2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA and very excited. Appreciate any input or suggestions. We also have to doodles to travel with.
kaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

No steering lock, so even with the key out the steering wheel can turn freely.

Also a transfer case that allows vehicle to go into a neutral so it can be towed and still have an automatic transmission. This also makes it not roll any miles on the odometer when towing. Probably 1/3 of all tow vehicles are Jeeps. (just a guess)

Just so you don't get another shock.... all said and done it cost us near $3000.00 to get everything set up to tow our newest Jeep last year.

Blue Ox "Avail" tow bar and base plate about - $1500
RVI 3 electric brake about - $1100
Tow vehicle charger so car has power from coach for brake. - $75
Vehicle installation and all needed wiring etc. - $ the rest

This is just what I chose, there are probably cheaper options, but these are the brands I trust.

You will need stuff like this on any vehicle you end up towing.

Lastly we have owned 3 with no issues.

Good luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltman View Post
Why are jeeps so popular for toads? As my search reveals, they aren't very reliable....we are currently looking for a toad and our search seems difficult with limited funds. So, will be searching for a used vehicle. We will be getting our 2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA and very excited. Appreciate any input or suggestions. We also have to doodles to travel with.

Well Sir,
Not sure where you're coming up with "not very reliable" but, we've owned, modified and towed, 9 different Jeep Wranglers in over 35 years and have not had ANY TROUBLE with any of them in that period. I know probably at least 100 people personally that have them and, love, use, alter and have a great time with them. If you're getting info from something like Consumer Reports, well, it's up to you to take that information for what it's worth.

There's probably no less than a few dozen posts on towing Jeeps, especially Wranglers, on this forum and many on other RV forums and, not very many people complain of issues, if at all. Our present one, a '15 Jeep JKUR has 41,000 miles on it and to date, has only been in for any "recall" or Technical service bulletin ONE TIME in the four years it's been alive. We change oil, and that's about it. It runs flawlessly, every single day without skipping a beat. It's the Rubicon model and therefore, we take it off road as often as possible. It's been to Moab, So CAL, AZ, and many, many other places and, it jumps right back on the pavement and gets us back to camp, or home, without even thinking about it

As for using them as a toad, yep, you'll see thousands use them. They're easy to set up for towing and, they're REALLY easy to prep for towing before a days drive.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
A jeep is a fun vehicle. And they are easy to get configured to flat tow. I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4-door and love it. Mine has been very reliable.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaltman View Post
Why are jeeps so popular for toads? As my search reveals, they aren't very reliable....
Well, I can't speak for all Jeeps but every Wrangler I've ever had has been bullet proof.

Maybe you could share some of your research for clarification.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Jeep Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Well, I can't speak for all Jeeps but every Wrangler I've ever had has been bullet proof.

Maybe you could share some of your research for clarification.
I can't quote anything specific except that I do read CR and Jeeps according to them are one to stay away from. So, I really appreciate your response, as it gives me positive ammunition to convince my husband that we really DO need one. Thanks again. Happy Camping.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

Thanks for your response. We've only ridden in one many years ago, and I agree, it was fun. I am seeking positive or negative info bc I definitely want one and the only info I have gotten is from CR, so I guess the lesson learned here, is "don't believe everything you read!"
Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks so much for the valuable information. We do our research from CR and obviously it isn't as accurate as some might believe. This info will definitely help in searching for a reliable toad within the next few weeks. I'm all in for a jeep, its my husband that is not sure. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info. And the heads up, wasn't really a sticker shocker, we have researched most of those for hooking up and you are correct. The more positive info we receive, the more likely we are to be shopping for a jeep. Our research comes from CR, not first hand, so we don't have any first and issues to back us up.
We do see hundreds of the as toads, and that obviously should speak for itself. But, not everyone's situation is the same as far as useage etc.

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned Jeeps for 20+ years and they take us into the back country where you don't want to have vehicle troubles. I've gotten myself in pretty deep a few times and my Jeep has never failed to bring me home. Nothing this side of eternity is perfect, even my Jeep but, our latest w/ about 40,000 flat tow miles has been flawless. Also, IMHO, CR should be reviewed with hefty amount of skepticism.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

Jeeps, especially manual trans versions can easily be flat towed. However DD is in a buy back for her manual trans Jeep after it sat 5 months waiting for Jeep to ship a new transmission. Older models of Jeep are expensive, but can be decent vehicles. Suzuki Grand Vitaras and Sidekicks can be had pretty cheap and with a true transfer case make great run around vehicles. In 13 years of ownership of Suzukis we only had one failure, so I consider them to be a great little SUV.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #12

Hi Kaltman; I guess I will the first to say what others might say, it's a Jeep Thing. Maybe you heard the phrase and maybe not. I have owned jeep products since 1969. A lot of their line up. Out of all of them, my opinion, the Wrangler has been the most reliable. Yes, easy as pie to tow. Once you get all you need to tow it is a matter of minutes to get hooked up behind the coach and you are on your way down the road. As with anything mechanical they are not perfect! I have had Wrangles since the 1997 model and they have had a few issues. Sorry if I step on some toes here, but the worst Jeep product I had was the Grand Cherokee. Had 2 of them 1996 and a 2001. Worst vehicles I ever owner. The 1996 was way far better than the 2001. As others here mentioned, it can go anywhere. If you have budget constrictions, there is a huge used market out there in quite a model year range. By the way, I have two. A 2011 JK Rubicon Unlimited I tow behind the coach and a 2010 2 door Rubicon with the 6 speed manual transmission that I use in the mountains here in the pacific northwest. The 4 door tows great and have yet to get the 2 door set up for towing. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Happy decision making!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

You can’t trust consumer reports on reliability there reviews are no different then any other on line reviews and only the worst comments seem to be what gets noticed. Jeeps especially wranglers are really easy to tow, connect and disconnect. Outside of that my wife’s Jeep is a 2013 and haven’t had any problems with it. She has owned two wranglers and hasn’t had any problems with either. I used to own a Liberty which was a great car only got rid of it because I needed a new tow vehicle. Wranglers are versatile vehicles SUV so you can carry stuff, off road capabilities so you can see the back country and they are a convertible so you can enjoy the weather.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A few things not mentioned about Jeep towing:

When we had our 06 JL, it didn't require any lube pump, it didn't require any running through gears before set up (ignition unlocked, xfr case in N, transmission in P), it didn't have any top towed speed, it didn't have to be stopped every so many hours/started & run through the gears & it didn't require any fuses be pulled in order to tow. If you look at a lot of the vehicles that can be towed 4-down, one or more of those parameters are required. Our JL could not have been less hassle to tow.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote