Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Jeeps/brakes

We are switching from a 5th wheel to motor home. Question Jeep CJ's 5&7 or Wrangler, do you feel these need a brake system or would a 22000 GVW chassis be enough. I want to flat tow and I can use a Jeep when home for my daily driver. Than you for any options and comments. Steve
slamberte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

If you're going to a gas powered motorhome you should have brakes on the towed vehicle. Both Ford and Workhorse Strongly Recommend brakes on anything being towed that weighs over 1,500 lbs. Ford goes farther to say the brakes on the motorhome are rated for the GVWR not the GCWR.

Neither gets into the semantics as to whether a towed vehicle is considered a trailer. They both just say anything towed over 1,500 lbs. should have it's own brakes.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
My opinion, cause I can't show you the facts, but stopping the toad in normal driving conditions is not a problem. Where the problem starts is where some states require a braking system in addition to situations where lawyers might get involved such as accidents or a break away ( no breaks mean a free rolling toad ) and yes there are stories of run away toads.

Like insurance, IMOP, you can't travel without it. Go have fun!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas or Diesel you need a braking system for your towed. In most all states a trailer over xxxx pounds must have brakes,, Most all cars will be over the weight limit in most states (Texas the limit is 4,000 so most JEEPS will be over, but my Neon, (2500) is under) some states it is 1500.

And a car in tow.. IS a trailer

Many "Do I need brakes" web pages miss that last sentence, they say "Trailers yes, Cars no" but in Michigan at least, a car in tow *IS* a trailer.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't need them. Until you need them. Think panic stop when you need all the help you can get. I towed the CJ for years behind my Safari van without aux brakes. It's a wonder we survived, I just drove it very carefully. Now that I tow it much more, I added a brake buddy for peace of mind. More than once, I was glad it was there.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Think of an aux braking system like insurance. You may spend your entire RV life never needing an aux brake on the toad. It's that one time where it is needed that can be devastating.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've toad my Cherokee behind my MH without brakes and now am dolly towing a Prius with surge brakes with the same MH..both toads about the same total weight. The MH/dolly seems to stop better. I like to keep a good space between me and the vehicle in front of me for stopping distance, but someone always seems to dart in front of me at the most inopportune time ending in that pucker factor. The surge brakes help negate that feeling.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

I also towed a cj7 for years including 2500 miles one way to Moab .Then had 2 really close calls within 2 months. Now have aux brake and it's a must in my opinion!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #9

Jeeps/brakes

Thank you all and I have changed my mind [I'll do brakes]. I was thinking a CJ5 would be light enough to cheat but your advise has changed my mind. Steve Lambert
slamberte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been using the same Brake Buddy for about 14 years, in several different toads, and I have been very thankful on several occasions, that I had it.

You can set the sensitivity such that it comes on for anything from a normal stop to a panic stop. I have mine set somewhere in the middle, for a what I would call firm braking. The dashboard receiver lights up bright red, when it activates, and I can feel it helping to stop the motorhome.

I think my motorhome stopping distance with the BB in the tow, is actually shorter than the motorhome with no car in tow. A one-time expense for a lifetime of towing is worth every penny spent.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a Wrangler and I have a 36000 lb RV and I definitely want aux brakes. Not only do most states require toad brakes above 3000 lbs toad wt, all of Canada does. Just think of the liability goldmine you'd be setiing for those ambulance chasers if you rear ended anybody no matter if it was your fault or not!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

I have the Roadmaster Brakemaster air system installed in the Wrangler. I can charge the braking system from the dash control and I do notice a difference in stopping with or without the brakes hooked up.
As someone else pointed out, most states and provinces require braking systems on vehicles and trailers over a certain weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	60316  
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow. so far 100% aggreement.. Brakes needed.. First time I've seen that in a thread like this.. Folks.. We are learning, this is good.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Plus if you don't have brakes, and they are required where you are towing, When you have an accident, it automatically becomes your fault because you were breaking the law. In this instance your insurance company can drop you and not pay the claim. Is it worth the chance???

EVERYONE READING THIS SHOULD GET THE AUX. BRAKES!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes