Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

JK with Rock Hard Blue Ox Mounts ?

So today I installed our new bumper with the rock hard brackets for the Blue Ox tow bar. I don't have a tow bar yet, but have been looking at the Acclaim Class III tow bar as we only plan to tow the Jeep once a year and like the idea of a ball mount and not into the hitch. This would also allow me to move the jeep with the tractor or other vehicles. Anyway the instructions for this show a 7" drop. I put the brackets on the lower holes, but not sure I will have enough drop.

The JK is a 2 Door Sport, but with Rubi springs. It only raised it about 1 1/2" with the hard top. The camper is a 30' Fleetwood Bounder with factory hitch. Unfortunately it is parked in the side driveway under 12" of snow so can't get it out to do some measurements.

Thoughts on if this would work or not ? I hate to order the tow bar if it wont work, but we are leaving for Virginia on March 30th and want to get the tow bar shipped in time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The instructions for the Acclaim shows the ball must be 7" higher than the base plate attachment point. If needed, a drop receiver could be installed upside down to raise the receiver higher. You could still install a ball hitch at the end of the flipped drop receiver. The nice thing about the receiver type is that the tow bar can be folded and stored on the back of the motorhome. A ball type tow bar has to be completely removed and stowed each use.

It's interesting that the ball hitch tow bar wants a 7" height difference, a receiver tow bar is to be no more than 3" above or below the base plate mounting point. When stopping the tow vehicle in an emergency situation, the towed vehicle pushes with a lot of energy. When the height difference is greater than 3", the rear of the towing vehicle can be pushed up or down, likewise the towed vehicle could nose down or actually 'pole vault' into the rear of the RV.

I'd suggest waiting until the snow melts and you can move the MH to a level area. Then pull the Jeep up behind and measure the differences in height.

You might watch Ebay or Craig's List, I picked up a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar for $175 that's served me well.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Might watch hitchtrader.com also.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My BO tow bar came via Craigslist. Many years of good service. Have had it checked and passed at a couple RV get together by BO techs.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

I have one of these BO Acclaim tow bars. it works great and is easy to fold up on front of the toad. I put a 4" drop hitch upside down in the coach receiver and it lines up perfect at the 7" level. Bought thru e hitch.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You got choices
just need to know the weight of the jeep and how much drop/rise you need ...
Robot Check
Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Thanks Guys. Plan is to dig it out this weekend. Leaving in 3 weeks so running out of time looking for a used one, so may try the drop/rise hitch if needed.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Well was a great day in CNY. Did some measuring and the hitch is 20" off the ground (at the base) however the JK sits 23" at the pin on the tow bar mount...

So guess plan B now.

Does anyone run a basic tow bar ? I dont care about folding the bar against the motor home or vehicle, nor hook ups. I just need a way to tow the Jeep to some NASCAR tracks. Once on site we are there for a week or longer so i'm not worried.

I see Reese offers a bar, however im not a fan of the mounts for the bumper. Has anyone swapped in the Blue Ox mounts on one of these bars ? I see Blue Ox offers these adapters. I have the harbor freight tow bar on my old CJ but i wouldn't want to use this on a 1000 mile trip being it is just channel steel, hence I thought the Reese being a tube would be better.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

Well ended up with the basic Blue Ox bar and reinstalled the mounting brackets and also added some recovery tabs that I'll use for the safety cables. Tested the Mopar harness and all is working great. At this point the tow bar will sit level with a standard ball mount in my hitch. Only thing left to do before we take off is find/determine what to do for supplemental braking.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks good, just remember to cross the safety cables under the tow bar to serve as a support if the ball hitch fails.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Looks good, just remember to cross the safety cables under the tow bar to serve as a support if the ball hitch fails.
Yup always have. Actually always used chains in the past but everyone says these cables will work so figured i'd try them. My old tow bar that i use on my other jeeps has them welded so i didn't loose them, but always added more for safety !

I was actually surprised with the quality of the bar. I really wanted a better one, but funds are getting pretty slim and talking to the folks from Blue Ox they actually told me it would be fine. Being we only plan to tow the jeep 4 times this summer I think this will be perfect.

Also the bar measures to be exactly level on a standard hitch so I think it will be good.

Tags
blue ox