Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

JKU dingy with mopar wiring harness and patriot brake

Hi I recently bought a 2012 JKU. Going to be towing behind a RV. Manual says to disconnect battery when flat towing. Looking at the Mopar wiring kit and using a patriot auxiliary brake. Does anyone have this wiring harness with an auxiliary brake? The brake plugs into a cigarette lighter so it will need power. If the battery is disconnected does the wireing harness power any of the cigarette outlets to power the auxiliary brake?
Travisc JKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 04:51 AM   #2

I am towing a Jeep YJ, I wired a separate heavy duty power outlet for my Brake Buddy, it's wired/fused to the jeep battery.

I also put in a charge line from RV.

Brake Buddy sells a battery direct connect kit for $20.00.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Products/A...ery-Direct-Kit

I purchased a heavy duty 12v power outlet from Walmart, and used some extra wiring and inline fuse to complete mine.

This should resolve your problem.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisc JKU View Post
Hi I recently bought a 2012 JKU. Going to be towing behind a RV. Manual says to disconnect battery when flat towing. Looking at the Mopar wiring kit and using a patriot auxiliary brake. Does anyone have this wiring harness with an auxiliary brake? The brake plugs into a cigarette lighter so it will need power. If the battery is disconnected does the wireing harness power any of the cigarette outlets to power the auxiliary brake?
No, the harness does not power any of the outlets, but there is no reason to disconnect the battery when towing. I have a 2012 and towed for 20,000 miles without disconnecting. The key does not have to be in the ignition when towing these models, and there is nothing active. The owner's manual I have does not say anything about disconnecting the battery and I feel that's a holdover from the older models that required the key to be in the ignition due to the steering wheel lock.

Also, just FYI the dash 12v outlet is key controlled, but there is an outlet inside the console that is hot all the time. I use an RVI2 brake system and have towed for three days without any noticeable drain on the battery.

I also installed the Mopar harness and here is a post I made a couple of years ago showing how to make the installation a little easier.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2012-...te-236583.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, wiring