Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

Just a Little Nervous

Seeing my brand new car, with under 800 miles on it like this, is just a little unnerving. The baseplate and harness are being installed on the 2016 Grand Cherokee .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Grand Cherokee.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	121707  

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

I don't blame you
Sure will be a great toad, though.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

We've all been in that boat. It's why I don't like to watch the install. You have a great car as a toad and you'll be happy with it.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

I heard from the installer late this afternoon. Baseplate is not fitting correctly on the driver's side. He has the passengers side done, but still fighting the other side. So the jeep is spending the weekend in his shop. No sense in putting it back together just to take it apart again on Monday. I called Blue Ox to make sure they had verified that the baseplate for a 2015 would fit the 2016 Gramd Cherokee. He said yes. will wait to hear on Monday.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just seeing the instructions laying on the hood would make me very very nervous.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

When we purchased our brand new 2011 Honda CRV to be used as a daily driver and a toad, I purchased the base plate from E-trailer.com and already had a tow bar.

But, I've been working cars/Jeeps/Motorhomes/motorcycle for decades but, I was kind-a stumped as to how to install this base plate. So, I called my neighbor over. He's been a Honda tech for about 10 years and worked at a pretty prestigious Honda dealership Carlsbad CA. Well, I couldn't believe my eyes and my watch.

He had the entire front end of that CRV completely off, (almost exactly what you see in the OPs pic) in just about 1-2 minutes. Wow! Now, I had to do some drilling and re-engineering of a few spots to get the base plate to fit more efficiently but, when it was all installed, my neighbor came back over and re-installed that entire front end, in about the same time as it took to take it off.

So, just like the OP, my worried looks of the "dismantled" CRV, were gone in a matter of only a few minutes. The car looked just like it just rolled off the assembly line, no marks, no scrapes, nothing. To him, it was like a giant leggo assembly.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
The way cars are constructed today, Legos are far superior construction...
Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
When we purchased our brand new 2011 Honda CRV to be used as a daily driver and a toad, I purchased the base plate from E-trailer.com and already had a tow bar.

But, I've been working cars/Jeeps/Motorhomes/motorcycle for decades but, I was kind-a stumped as to how to install this base plate. So, I called my neighbor over. He's been a Honda tech for about 10 years and worked at a pretty prestigious Honda dealership Carlsbad CA. Well, I couldn't believe my eyes and my watch.

He had the entire front end of that CRV completely off, (almost exactly what you see in the OPs pic) in just about 1-2 minutes. Wow! Now, I had to do some drilling and re-engineering of a few spots to get the base plate to fit more efficiently but, when it was all installed, my neighbor came back over and re-installed that entire front end, in about the same time as it took to take it off.

So, just like the OP, my worried looks of the "dismantled" CRV, were gone in a matter of only a few minutes. The car looked just like it just rolled off the assembly line, no marks, no scrapes, nothing. To him, it was like a giant leggo assembly.
Scott
you get the right one and those guys know their stuff. My neighbor is a tech at a Toyota dealership. I've worked on cars my entire life and am no slouch when it comes to turning wrenches but he's shown me a ton of short cuts and easier ways of doing things the last few years. Handy guy to have around.