Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You mean you do not get to drive a safe dually if you get sonewhere.
They are very safe. I've heard that they automatically go into reverse when they see snow.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
Blue Ox sells a set of locking pins for their hitches, had a set and they were well made.
What's all the arguing about. I posted this a while back on this thread and it seems to solve the whole problem. Made by Blue Ox for just this application. They also have rubber end caps to keep moisture out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1627371923006
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
What's all the arguing about. I posted this a while back on this thread and it seems to solve the whole problem. Made by Blue Ox for just this application. They also have rubber end caps to keep moisture out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1627371923006
The link goes nowhere.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
No arguing but check out this: Blue Ox Towing Lock Set (WARNING) - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums
Skip to post 5 - I had the same problem.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
No arguing but check out this: Blue Ox Towing Lock Set (WARNING) - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums
Skip to post 5 - I had the same problem.
Yep that's why I added a extra hitch pin to mine years ago.
Had one come off .
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2017, 04:25 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
Had one come off .
Good idea, I'm going to do it to mine!
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
Had one come off .
And I did exactly the same for exactly the same reason.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
My lynch pin holes are all drilled out to 9/32" and I have 3 keyed alike locks that go in them. It's not coming unhooked without a key or cut off grinder. I keep the keys in the MH, easy and quick to get at, one with the ignition keys, another with the spares in the cup holder. The time difference between the locks or lynch pins is about 2 seconds, so in case of a fire in either MH or toad, I don't worry.
Happy Glamping.
Small hammer and a cold chisel or good screwdriver can pip a padlock off on one swing.
Lost al case of beer years ago to a co-worker from Texas who opened a high security American round large padlock in one shot.

I have the licks at the end of the pins from BLUE OX.
4 total
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Small hammer and a cold chisel or good screwdriver can pip a padlock off on one swing.
Lost al case of beer years ago to a co-worker from Texas who opened a high security American round large padlock in one shot.

4 total
That is true. However it keeps some of the punks from getting their jollies though.
I just carry spares of everything and always do a visual at every stop where there are others around.
Never had a problem, but you never know.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post

4 total
I don't think anybody is trying to stop the hard core criminal. They would likely carry a battery powered angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and could cut your 2" draw bar off in about 1 minute and your hitch pin in about 10 seconds. No kind of lock will stop them.

Most of us are just interested in stopping the parking lot vandal/pranksters. Just as important, small locks thru the pin prevent the hitch pins from falling out accidentally if they get cross ways with the safety cables.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #109

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
im glad my wife doesnt read these. shes paranoid enough about us traveling to Newfoundland in a few yrs. we were thinking of stopping at Wal marts rather than RV parks ,then she reads about chit happening at Wal marts to campers ? i see most Motorhomes going thru here to Alaska pull Chevy Trackers or the smaller Jeeps. we need a 4 dr. so a smaller Jeep is out.we tryed scooters on a rack ,but the wife is no help to load them. so that is out.
I tow a 2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4 auto, 4-wheels down. It's small, has 4 doors, with fold down rear seats and roof rack. Love it as toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Now you have yet another RV story to tell

These keyed alike are on all mine too
The spare keys, my gloves, and regular hitch pins as spares are all in my little bag kept in the back of the jeep.
takes NO extra time putting them on and like 5 seconds more to unlock and store in my bag.
(Click on pic for closeup of them)

Tags
toad