Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Just about lost our toad

We left Pigeon Forge for home on Sunday morning with our 2016 Ram 1500 in tow behind our 2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. We had purchased our new Blue Ox Aventa 10,000 lb. hitch and had it (and the brake buddy) professionally installed only the week before. We decided to travel from Central Michigan to the Gatlinburg area to try the new system out and enjoy better weather and the beauty of the area.

Being a newbie to all of this, I wanted to stop at several rest areas on the way down and on the way up to take a look at how all of it was performing to gain confidence in the system. Each time I was amazed at how the whole thing worked and was happy to have the freedom to drive away from a campground in our own vehicle.

We stopped for yet one more check up at the northbound I75 welcome center just inside of Kentucky. As I was walking around the coach giving it the once over, a woman about our age (we will turn 60 later this year) was suddenly next to me asking questions on how we like towing our vehicle behind our motorhome as she and her husband were thinking about doing something like that. I responded that it was wonderful, we chatted for perhaps a minute more and then we took off northbound.

I check the mirrors and rear camera often when towing and had just done yet another check of the mirrors/camera about 20 minutes after our last rest stop. Within seconds, I checked the camera again and realized that the truck wasn't centered in the camera anymore. It was actually half in the shoulder lane. I didn't panic, softly slowed the coach down without moving over and once I felt it was safe, slid over to the shoulder and stopped the vehicle, put the brake and flashers on and buried my head in my shaking hands.

The pin holding the passenger side base plate was missing, that side of the towbar was dragging on the pavement and grease was exposed on the chrome slide where it should have been covered with rubber. We disconnected with 70 mph traffic within feet of us and my wife and I drove our separate vehicles the rest of the way home to Michigan while talking on speaker phone about what could have caused this.

A call to Blue Ox the following morning told me all I need to know about how they stand behind their product. I told them what had happened and asked if they thought it was operator error or a problem with the product. Jeremy (Blue Ox rep) told me that they weren't sure but they would take care of me by sending me a replacement for free.

He then suggested we get lock pins as some people like to remove the pins while at rest areas....... My wife and I both turned pale as we remembered the discussion with the woman (with her husband nearby) at the northbound I75 Kentucky Welcome Center. My wife actually had come up with that scenario while we were on speaker phone after the incident. I'm not saying that the person I talked to pulled the pins, but it just seemed strange that she appeared so quickly, wanted to discuss all about towing and stood with her husband and watched as we drove out of the rest area.

So, the replacement Blue Ox Aventa was just delivered within days of the call and I need to send the damaged one back to Blue Ox. I can't say enough about the company and how they want to do well for their customers. It could have been operator error or even purposeful sabotage, but they cheerfully sent us a replacement anyway. Incredible.

This all seemed to work out ok (with the exception of Blue Ox paying for a new bar) and we both think that this could have been much worse. No one was injured and there was no damage to either vehicle.

I'm buying the lock pins.
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #2

All my connecting points have a lock. Tales a few seconds longer to use, but means when I forget to check after a stop, the odds are small something will walk away.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #3

I always check my fifth wheel that the locking lever is in place. I don't put a lock on it in case I need to get unhitched fast like camper on fire or something. As a former trucker, I have heard of things getting unhooked in parking lots, so I always check everything, tires/hitches, before taking off.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just set up my Toad, before my last 7 week trip, and did buy the locking pin for the tow bar to the hitch connection, as I leave the tow bar on the MH, and did not want it walking off, when we were away from the MH on day trips!
I never thought about the locking pins for the tow bar to base plate connection! After reading your post, I will also buy the locking pins! You just don't know now days?
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Rail!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use locking pins on mine and a lock on the receiver hitch. I check them every time I stop just for this very reason. I've heard of it before on a couple RV forums.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One of my buddies had that happen to him. He was positive all was done up and after a stop his hitch came loose and thank goodness for the safety chains. His MH got beat up a fair bit, but he got stopped and hooked back up. Glad it was only stuff damaged, and nobody hurt or worse.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #7

I have had my pin disappear as well and the car just being pulled along on the breakaway cables. We were about 10 miles out of a rest stop, so I have always asumed the issue was created at the rest stop. I discovered that this is not such a rare occurance having brought it up with many people over the years. Everything now has a lock on it as I am sure there are more sick people out there that think doing this is funny.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do26 View Post
All my connecting points have a lock. Tales a few seconds longer to use, but means when I forget to check after a stop, the odds are small something will walk away.
Same here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I just upgraded my entire setup as my BlueOx was wearing out. I decided on the Roadmaster Blackhawk II 10,000lb system, (gotta update my sig). The unit comes provided WITH padlocks for the tow bar to base plate connection. That should perhaps tell us something right there.

Up to now I guess I've been lucky. I've used a locking pin on coach tow package to tow bar like Rail said above. Everything else I just used snap rings with no troubles. I'm not pushing my luck any further, EVERYTHING is locked from now on. People are malicious out there, although I do look for the good in everyone first. (can't help it)

I'm happy for you Chadrock that you folks didn't have a wreck, no one was hurt, and no damages. It is good of BlueOx to take care of you as well.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Now you have yet another RV story to tell

These keyed alike are on all mine too
The spare keys, my gloves, and regular hitch pins as spares are all in my little bag kept in the back of the jeep.
takes NO extra time putting them on and like 5 seconds more to unlock and store in my bag.
(Click on pic for closeup of them)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	182582  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad

Just a note When you park overnight at Rest Stops - Walmart make SURE you remove your Electric Connections from Toad to Motorhome for same reasen thy walk away overnight, don't ask me how I know.
George

2013 Monaco Monarch 33 SFD
Toad 2002 Saturn LW 200 Wagon
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
Just a note When you park overnight at Rest Stops - Walmart make SURE you remove your Electric Connections from Toad to Motorhome for same reasen thy walk away overnight, don't ask me how I know.
George

2013 Monaco Monarch 33 SFD
Toad 2002 Saturn LW 200 Wagon
Mine are strapped onto the tow bar. Not easy to remove.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

I also have heard about other people pulling connection pins, safty clips etc. I heard truckers will do it to 5th wheel people. Always check if you remember.

That kind of stuff boggles my mind. Dirty rotten people.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #14

As everyone should know, those spring loaded pins can be put in incorrectly. Put them in the wrong way and they can fall out.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad