Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Just bought a 2015 Kia Soul 5 speed Standard - Steering question

It seems that this Kia Soul has power or power assisted steering. Does that matter when flat towing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Consult the owner's manual. Everything you need to know about towing the vehicle will be in there, and if it isn't, then consult the manufacturer. Especially if there's any warranty left on it.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Towed a 2016 Kia Soul (manual transmission) behind the previously owned motorhome w/o any problem. It is suggested that a person stop about every 200 miles and start the engine to charge the battery and shift the tranny through the gear pattern.
Never experienced any problems when towing the Kia w/ the transmission or steering. It's a great TOAD with more interior room than expected.
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasProud View Post
Towed a 2016 Kia Soul (manual transmission) behind the previously owned motorhome w/o any problem. It is suggested that a person stop about every 200 miles and start the engine to charge the battery and shift the tranny through the gear pattern.
Never experienced any problems when towing the Kia w/ the transmission or steering. It's a great TOAD with more interior room than expected.
X2

I have towed my 2016 Kia Soul Base for 13,000 miles so far ..... not a spec of trouble. I have an RVI-2 brake system that uses some battery power so I ran a charge wire from the coach to the Kia battery via the 7-pin plug so no need to run the engine anytime to keep the toad battery charged. I bought mine new just for toad purposes (it sits idle in the garage all winter) and the dealer looked in his literature and verified that it was 100% towable 4-down.

BTW- Mine is a 6-speed (double overdrive) manual transmission (made by Mitsubishi, I believe.) Everything I have read says the 2015 is also a 6-speed manual (not a 5-speed.) Typo maybe? In any event, safe travels........................
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #5

I have a 2018 with a 6 speed. Just put it in neutral and put the key in acc and off you go.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #6

Thanks Guys! We just ordered the base plate for Soul and will be ready shortly to take it on our RV Excursions! Here she is:

Old 08-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittysrv View Post
Thanks Guys! We just ordered the base plate for Soul and will be ready shortly to take it on our RV Excursions! Here she is:

Looks like an identical twin to my 2016, Smitty.

Just a comment re installation of a (Blue Ox) baseplate. All the literature I checked out said 7 hrs to install........ took me 3 days!!!!! (That included the electrical, but most of it was the baseplate.) Not real difficult, but just a LOT to do ............ like removing the whole front facia from the Kia. About half way through I was wishing I had let one of their "Authorized Installers" do it. lol

Its been a great Toad ............ OEM battery cratered early (typical from what I read on a Kia Soul forum) but that's been it. Only wish my '15 Yukon was half as reliable.

Safe travels..................
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Here's the full blown video about our new tow car.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Congrats Smitty it's a great little toad. I have a 2018 and I installed a Roadmaster base plate with a Demco dominator towbar. I went with an independent lighting kit(not integrated with the existing lights), thats powered off the motorhome connector. One thing to know about the Soul is it's weight sensitive. If you have more than two people in it; it can really lag for power. On the freeway on ramp, don't try to beat the 18 wheelers. It's reliability is top notch, and there's a ton of room for storage with the back seats down.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #10

When it came time to install a base plate on my '16 Soul, I read the online installation instructions for both Roadmaster and Blue Ox. Went w/ Roadmaster base plate d/t being much easier installation w/ only removal of right and left plastic air baffles next to the radiator. Blue Ox instructions had some cutting of metal and I didn't want something that involved time-wise and also to the metal parts of the Kia.
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I have a 2018 with a 6 speed. Just put it in neutral and put the key in acc and off you go.
Agreed on the "acc" key setting. I read somewhere that you didn't have to do that. We had our base plate installed yesterday on the KIA and the technician showed us how the steering wheel looks and feels "loose" without that setting. But if the steering is turned far enough, it will indeed lock.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #12

Glad you didn't take that bad advice. I've seen a few posts over the years from people that forgot to unlock it. It makes a lot of damage before you catch it.

Tags
steering