Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

Just got dingy

We just got a 2007 Saturn Vue 3.5L already set up to tow we are looking forward to having a car when we get to the campgrounds to look at sites. Can anyone give us any hints, warnings, advice to a newly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCaw View Post
We just got a 2007 Saturn Vue 3.5L already set up to tow we are looking forward to having a car when we get to the campgrounds to look at sites. Can anyone give us any hints, warnings, advice to a newly?
Hi Stuart, congratulations on getting the toad! It will provide you with really great freedom and convenience. I'd say the best advice is to make absolutely sure you understand the hookup procedure, and double or triple check everything. In particular make sure the steering wheel is free to turn, the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is off. I always drive the MH a few feet while my wife watches to make sure the toad wheels are turning ok. Some people attach a piece of white tape to the top of the steering wheel and watch it in the rear view camera. As you turn a corner you should see the toad steering wheel turn.

Driving with a toad really isn't very much different. You'll have an extra 15 or 20 feet to allow for when you pass another vehicle. Generally speaking if the motor home can make a turn, the toad will just follow as it has a narrower track width which will be inside the MH's track. Lastly, NEVER try to back up with the toad attached! Nasty, expensive things will happen!

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You say the car is set up for towing, does that include brakes? I would strongly advise you have brakes and a break-a-way system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, DW and I have our jobs when we set up and break down each trip. Found out the hard way when we get side track and didn't finish our jobs. As I pulled out DW saw we had not put the antenna down, luckily stopped before any damage was done. So now we do our jobs without interruptions
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #5

It did not include aux braking but I have already purchased it to install before I tow
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for the info, DW and I have our jobs when we set up and break down each trip. Found out the hard way when we get side track and didn't finish our jobs. As I pulled out DW saw we had not put the antenna down, luckily stopped before any damage was done. So now we do our jobs without interruptions
There's a discussion going on here about things that can be forgotten and the importance of using checklists.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on your toad! Lucky for you to find a toad already set up for towing, we are in the process of getting ours set up and putting the mounting plate on for the tow bar turned out to be a real job! Next time I look for a vehicle to be towed I'll be looking for one that already has the mounting plate mounted, or it'll be put on at a tow bar shop! Enjoy the new freedom your Vue is going to add to your RV experience!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Make sure you follow the instructions in the manual with regards to preparing the transmission before towing, otherwise you will be shopping for a new tranny.
Depending on the length of your trips you will need to pull the 30 AMP IGN fuse. I find that for trips of about 3 hours or less I don't need to pull the fuse. If you have the smarts you can fabricate a fuse by-pass switch so you won't have to wrestle with that cursed fuse. There are several companies that manufacture the switch but not for this model of the Vue.
Good luck, they are a super little vehicle.
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2006 Vue and am going to buy a Blue Ox base plate for it next month, then get the plate installed sometime between now and the end of the year. I already have a Blue Ox Acclaim Tow bar. Then, all that I will need is the brake assist, the electrical and the break away cables. I have to do just a little at a time since getting a toad set up is expensive. But I will be watching your progress as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #10

We have been towing a 2005 Saturn Vue 3.5 fwd for 2.5 years without any problems. It is my opinion that you should pull the 30 amp ign fuse every time you tow. I also believe, as has been stated, that you should have an alternative braking system for the toad, we use Brake Buddy, and a break away system, again ours is also Brake Buddy. Along with the obvious safety feature, it is a requirement in many states. Enjoy your toad.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ1826 View Post
Make sure you follow the instructions in the manual with regards to preparing the transmission before towing, otherwise you will be shopping for a new tranny.
Depending on the length of your trips you will need to pull the 30 AMP IGN fuse. I find that for trips of about 3 hours or less I don't need to pull the fuse. If you have the smarts you can fabricate a fuse by-pass switch so you won't have to wrestle with that cursed fuse. There are several companies that manufacture the switch but not for this model of the Vue.
Good luck, they are a super little vehicle.

On my 97 Saturn, I did not need to pull a fuse.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

On my 97 Saturn, I did not need to pull a fuse.
I didn't need to on my 2000 Saturn but I do on my 09 HHR. The manual will have the proper procedure . They change from model to model and year to year.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

Wired up the rvi aux brake system, put all the parts together and hooked up dingy to motor home we are about 3-1/2-4" from level, then had to replace light connector at MH corrosion hook it up exactly and right blinker did not work. Got on line verify wiring diagram and after moving onesie everything works. Going to drive around our high school football stadium parking lot to get ready for our first trip. DW is very nervous about the length (33' + 15') told her no difference than the flat bed trailer, horse trailer but she will wait until after our practice drive. Wish us luck
Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Wired up the rvi aux brake system, put all the parts together and hooked up dingy to motor home we are about 3-1/2-4" from level, then had to replace light connector at MH corrosion hook it up exactly and right blinker did not work. Got on line verify wiring diagram and after moving onesie everything works. Going to drive around our high school football stadium parking lot to get ready for our first trip. DW is very nervous about the length (33' + 15') told her no difference than the flat bed trailer, horse trailer but she will wait until after our practice drive. Wish us luck
Good luck! After a few miles you won't even know it's back there unless you see it in the rear monitor.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote