Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #15

The only retro-look vehicles I can think of now are the Ford Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.
The Chrysler PT Cruiser was dropped about the same time as the HHR.
Some one needs to make a retro 1950 bullet-nose Studebaker.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #16

Don't forget the Camaro. Retro not 4 down.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #17

Oops, forgot about the Camaro.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlin44 View Post
My only issue so far would be that the front end needs to be realigned as I can feel a slight front end shimmy while braking now and then.
Sounds more like the front brake rotors are starting to warp a common and relatively inexpensive problem to correct on most vehicles.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Sounds more like the front brake rotors are starting to warp a common and relatively inexpensive problem to correct on most vehicles.
Thats interesting, I had assumed it was alignment due to towing four down...Thanks I will check it out.
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlin44 View Post
Thats interesting, I had assumed it was alignment due to towing four down...Thanks I will check it out.
We have an '07 HHR and love it as a Toad. DW's daily driver. I have a fuse switch for Fuse 8, and just installed an AFO toad brake (Evenbrake died - no more getting on my knees to install the brake-in-a-box system ). It's ready to tow in about 2 minutes.

HHR's do tend to develop a shimmy on the front brakes, especially when going down mountains and using the brakes a lot. The HHR forums report this common problem as warping of the front rotors due to overheating. The forums actually recommend replacing with ventilated rotors and new brake pads. I've already changed my front brakes, and there's still a slight shimmy when braking. I didn't use the ventilated rotors. Next time I will. Car has 30K mi on the odo and another 10k towed miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-hhr-premier-edition-400.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	17880  
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Where have I been? Someone just told me that Chev. removed the HHR from the 2012 lineup. Great toad. Wonder why?
Well - maybe I can tell you just a bit of the "why" and after you have experienced this you will no longer wonder.

Son bought a new one in 2008. All was well and good for the first 30 to 40 thousand miles and then it was like "self destruct time."

Within the next 50,000 miles he had to replace his front brake rotors two (2) times and brakes each time they did the work.

The CV joint in front developed a problem and had to be replaced.

The front suspension decided to fail and he was without the car for about two weeks as they fixed that issue.

It developed a coolant leak internally and that laid up the car for a while as they repaired that.

The engine developed a miss on number 3 cylinder and that turned out to be a coil, so a new one was installed.

During this time he had to have three (3) sensors replaced as they begin to give the error codes.

The final straw was after he had gone through all these issues he was left stranded because of one more failure in the middle of nowhere ------ that next week after the repairs were completed he stopped by another dealership and traded for an "Edge" on the spot.

He drives approximately 6,000 miles a month and they are always "highway" miles. The vehicle was not abused in any way, just driven a lot and most vehicles absolutely "love" to be driven - often lasting well over 200,000 miles being used in this manner...... Not the HHR.

The Edge was a used one, had 60,000 plus on it and now after a few months he has just turned 122,000 last week. Problems ------ none.

When son bought the HHR I had just bought a new 2008 Malibu. I don't drive as much as he does, but at 80,000 miles the transmission begin to give me fits ----- after dealer begin to "throw" parts at the transmission (solenoid, and EXM) and still didn't fix it ---- I threw in the towel. I traded for a Honda.

Good luck to you guys that have the HHR and are totally satisfied, possibly son obtained a lemon ---- however after 50 + years of GM ownership I have abandoned them - forever.

God Bless

Bill
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
I had just bought a new 2008 Malibu. I don't drive as much as he does, but at 80,000 miles the transmission begin to give me fits ----- after dealer begin to "throw" parts at the transmission (solenoid, and EXM) and still didn't fix it ---- I threw in the towel. I traded for a Honda.

Bill
The 2011 Malibu may be as bad. Had the CV joints replaced at 6,000 miles. Right front rotor at 7,200 miles. My GM service writer (friend of mine) warned "at 30,000 miles it will get worse" and make sure its long gone before the power train warranty expires.

We too have driven Toyota's, Honda's and now a Lexus over the years. If we didn't return them to the dealer for pm service, we wouldn't know where the service department is located.

This is my personal experience only owning an "American owned" manufactured car in over 15 years. So far, I haven't been very impressed. I know others have had great success owning this product, unfortunately, I haven't.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My personal experience is: Honda CR-V 85,000 driven miles 25,000 towed miles not a whimper or repair, none needed now, silky smooth transmission and engine, no rattles, a very common, repeatable situation for the CR-V along with a high resale value.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote