Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Just installed a "Protect-a-Tow"

Since we switched from the gasser Class C to a DP, the Jeep and all the tow equipment have been getting covered in black soot.

I installed a "Protect-a-Tow" today. Other than replacing all the supplied zinc coated hardware with stainless steel (an anal obsession with me), the installation went very smoothly.

I'll let you all know how good it works after the next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	protectotow.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	12108  
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They were not designed to stop soot, might be time for a tune up!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
They were not designed to stop soot, might be time for a tune up!
Brand new RV with about 2000 miles on it. Doubt I need a tuneup. Maybe "Soot" wasn't the best word to use. It's not coming from the RV but rather road grime being kicked up by the rear wheels of the RV. The gasser was MUCH lower and had a longer overhang and didn't kick up all the junk the new DP is throwing all over the tow gear and Jeep. The crap all over the car will certainly be reduced by the mesh material being in it's path.

I'll let you know HOW effective it is after the next trip.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
JDT

We used a Protect-A-Tow for 8 years on 4 different vehicles. Not one rock ding on any of them. Also, helped keeep the toads clean. We have a side exhaust, as it appears yours does also, so that was never a problem. I'm sure you have figured out it is easier to put it on before you back up to take up the slack in the tow bar.

I'm a little anxious about the new Acadia we just bought as we have decided to switch to a tow dolly. I know the front end is raised and probably protected but still concerns me. We do have mud flaps behind each wheel and the full across flap at the rear of the coach. Hopefully most stuff is caught there.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT
We used a Protect-A-Tow for 8 years on 4 different vehicles. Not one rock ding on any of them. Also, helped keeep the toads clean. We have a side exhaust, as it appears yours does also, so that was never a problem. I'm sure you have figured out it is easier to put it on before you back up to take up the slack in the tow bar.

I'm a little anxious about the new Acadia we just bought as we have decided to switch to a tow dolly. I know the front end is raised and probably protected but still concerns me. We do have mud flaps behind each wheel and the full across flap at the rear of the coach. Hopefully most stuff is caught there.
Yes we have a side exhaust. Good tip about putting it on before extending the tow bar. I only installed it once and took it for a test ride around town.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Have you been on a trip and been able to evaluate the protect-a-tow?? I'm looking to keep the "stuff" off my old Toad before I buy a new one.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Have you been on a trip and been able to evaluate the protect-a-tow?? I'm looking to keep the "stuff" off my old Toad before I buy a new one.
Yes, it really does keep the goop off the Jeep and all the tow gear. Of course IT is pretty grimey to deal with now but I'd rather have that than my Jeep and tow gear all full of road grime.

One unintended benefit. It keeps morons from walking over the tow bar when you are parked in a lot, etc.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
"One unintended benefit. It keeps morons from walking over the tow bar when you are parked in a lot, etc. "

That would be a great benefit, almost ran over a kid who decided to do just that as I was pulling out. Luckily I looked at the camera screen just in time to hit the brakes. I ran out the door yelling at the kid then his dad came and yelled at him some more.

Guess I'll go for one, thanks.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have one, been from home in Ontario Canada to Texas, Florida, East coast Canada have traveled 3 years with it. Best thing yet. Tow a Jeep GC not one mark on it. Have been in rain,snow, cold and hot weather, still looks like new. Rain will clean it,so far it still fits in the pouch for storage when I do not use it. My Monaco only has flaps behind drive wheels not the full flap at rear, also side xaust.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
You might consider having the 3M film installed. Just as added insurance. I use the Roadmaster TowDefender and it seems to be the same as what you have. The major diff is that it's over the tow bar.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe
"One unintended benefit. It keeps morons from walking over the tow bar when you are parked in a lot, etc. "

That would be a great benefit, almost ran over a kid who decided to do just that as I was pulling out. Luckily I looked at the camera screen just in time to hit the brakes. I ran out the door yelling at the kid then his dad came and yelled at him some more.

Guess I'll go for one, thanks.
I'd recommend it after several trips now. It only adds a minute to the hookup and it does work.

We travel on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard every year. On the ferry, it drives me nuts watching people trip over the tow bar while walking between the MH and Jeep. I always have to triple check that nothing got knocked off before we move off the ferry. This year I enjoyed watching people start to cut through then see the protectotow and walk around the mh frustrated
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
So, I visualize all the crud that does not collect on the toad to now be attached to the underside of the shield! How do you keep yourself clean while working with the shield?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre
So, I visualize all the crud that does not collect on the toad to now be attached to the underside of the shield! How do you keep yourself clean while working with the shield?
It's easy to fold up without getting messy. It does clean itself in heavy rain.