Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
When I started out I had a car that could not be towed flat, so I got a tow dolly. Whew, what a pain. I traded up and now flat tow. I'll never go back to a dolly. But if it is necessary, getting it with the brake is the better choice. I am glad you chose safety over cost savings.
I do understand the trade offs. It's purely an economical decision based upon what I don't have. Beside I plan to train the wife to hook up when it's raining
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
OBTW, if you tow the dolly empty, you are suppose to drop the tire pressure to 10psi (to reduce bounce and strain on the welds) so a portable compressor might be a handy tool.
Thanks for the tips - yeaper - I did hear that - I have a portable compressor in both my truck and Motorhome. All good information for us.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I do understand the trade offs. It's purely an economical decision based upon what I don't have. Beside I plan to train the wife to hook up when it's raining
Darn, some people have such good wife's.... I just where a hat to keep the rain out of my eye...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #18

What about accessory lights. Do you guys have a preference versus wiring something up to use your vehicle lights. I am leaning towards something I can add and remove as I have a choice of bring either one of my vehicles that way.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What about accessory lights. Do you guys have a preference versus wiring something up to use your vehicle lights. I am leaning towards something I can add and remove as I have a choice of bring either one of my vehicles that way.
I don't use supplimental lighting and have had no problems, plus have not found any specific law requiring add'l lighting for dolly towing in my home state. U-Haul doesn't use any on thier rentals here either...so, I feel pretty safe in my decision.

But if there is a requirement, then a 4prong lighting splitter will provide power for any type light wanted...magnetic on the trunk...cross bar on the bumper or rooftop...etc.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #20

Just a quick update - Tow Dolly came in today - picked up and brought home. Wouldn't ya know it both of my vehicles will require ramp extensions. I used some wood blocks to practicing loading up today. Ran out of daylight to get the straps adjusted correctly. Realized that they are adjustable and they were adjusted for a mac truck or something comparable. Will make trial run tomorrow to and adjust out accordingly.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #21

Took me about 3 trips towing to get the straps fitted to my satisfaction and stretched. Now, it take very little time to throw them over the tires and ratchet them tight. The only thing dislike with my Master Tow, the tilt pin. Old men shouldn't have to crawl under cars. BTW, I use no additional or add on lighting.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just a quick update - Tow Dolly came in today - picked up and brought home. Wouldn't ya know it both of my vehicles will require ramp extensions. I used some wood blocks to practicing loading up today. Ran out of daylight to get the straps adjusted correctly. Realized that they are adjustable and they were adjusted for a mac truck or something comparable. Will make trial run tomorrow to and adjust out accordingly.
All I did with my MT was placed 2x4 blocks under the end of the ramps for loading/unloading and the car cleared without extensions.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
All I did with my MT was placed 2x4 blocks under the end of the ramps for loading/unloading and the car cleared without extensions.
Ditto, In my case it was a couple of 2 X 8's but they work great. I have front wheel drive vehicles which we tow so I rarely use the blocks but in rainy weather they come in handy since I can slip and slide trying to get up the ramp without them.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
Took me about 3 trips towing to get the straps fitted to my satisfaction and stretched. Now, it take very little time to throw them over the tires and ratchet them tight. The only thing dislike with my Master Tow, the tilt pin. Old men shouldn't have to crawl under cars. BTW, I use no additional or add on lighting.
I am hoping it will line out and make this process much quicker.

I do agree - thinking through the PIN replacement won't be the most fun - Will bring something to craw up under with.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I made some temporary blocks to get by for now until my extensions come in. They will work in a pinch - still wondering when / how long it will be before I drive off and leave them :(

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I made some temporary blocks to get by for now until my extensions come in. They will work in a pinch - still wondering when / how long it will be before I drive off and leave them :(

Thanks for all the comments.
That question is best for a different forum.....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Two more suggestions:
1) Check you light wiring length. The factory length was fine when I put the dolly behind the F-150. However it was too short for the MH. Luckily there is a utility trailer shop in the complex where we store the MH. They had a 4' extension wire with 4-pin connectors.

2) IF your tilt locking pin is not safety wired to your dolly, do it. We were blocking the campground lane (the only place to load) and was in a hurry. Care to guess what I remembered about 20mins into the trip home? Luckily nothing bad happened and I found a Lowes Hardware store and picked up a 5/8" x 6" pin. Longer than I need but it is cotter pinned so we were able to get back underway.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #28

2) IF your tilt locking pin is not safety wired to your dolly, do it. We were blocking the campground lane (the only place to load) and was in a hurry. Care to guess what I remembered about 20mins into the trip home? Luckily nothing bad happened and I found a Lowes Hardware store and picked up a 5/8" x 6" pin. Longer than I need but it is cotter pinned so we were able to get back underway.[/QUOTE]

We lost our pin first time out. Went to tractor supply and got a new pin with a flip down lock pin, like used to hold tractor implements on but smaller to make sure the tilt pin can't come out. I also wrap a bungee around the tongue and pin to make double sure.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, dolly, tow dolly