Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Just ordered a Master Tow Dolly w/Surge Brakes

Thanks to the forum I just ordered a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes. Should be in about 3 weeks. I have learned alot reading around. They had 4 on the lot but none had brakes. Didn't really want to do the brake buddy thing.

cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Thanks to the forum I just ordered a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes. Should be in about 3 weeks. I have learned alot reading around. They had 4 on the lot but none had brakes. Didn't really want to do the brake buddy thing.
Congrats! Master Tow makes a fine product and your decision for surge brakes is a wise one.

You obviously know why having brakes on the dolly is smart...and you will find that the surge brakes auto adjusting to the weight of the tow, makes such a difference over adjusting electric brakes...with the load going from a fully loaded car, to no load is hard to adjust in electric brakes.

Now just 1 warning...be sure to check the tie-down straps for tightness, when you can. All dolly straps will stretch over time especially on bumpy roads.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Congrats! Master Tow makes a fine product and your decision for surge brakes is a wise one.

You obviously know why having brakes on the dolly is smart...and you will find that the surge brakes auto adjusting to the weight of the tow, makes such a difference over adjusting electric brakes...with the load going from a fully loaded car, to no load is hard to adjust in electric brakes.

Now just 1 warning...be sure to check the tie-down straps for tightness, when you can. All dolly straps will stretch over time especially on bumpy roads.

Safe travels
Thanks for your comments. Yeap - that seems to be the number 1 word of caution given. Will be also purchasing an extra set of straps, tow chains for backup of the straps. Gotta figure out a spare tire solution too. I know Tow Master sells them as accessories too. I don't recall seeing too many people having them. I assume they rely on their road side assistance to resolve?

So what can of tow chains do you guys recommend? I should have asked this in my original post.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm surprised that they didn't offer the back-up chains as an option with the dolly. You can purchase chain at Harbor-Freight and the associated clamps. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you load the car on the dolley let it roll to the back of the pads then tighten the strap and then put in park. This allows the car to roll forward while tightening the straps and they don't have the problem of coming loose.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about tow dollys, so this may be a dumb question, but is Master Tow a steering dolly? Which type is preferred?? I really want surge brakes, and wondered how well they function on the steering type dolly.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
When I started out I had a car that could not be towed flat, so I got a tow dolly. Whew, what a pain. I traded up and now flat tow. I'll never go back to a dolly. But if it is necessary, getting it with the brake is the better choice. I am glad you chose safety over cost savings.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

I used a Master Tow with surge brakes for six years with absolutely no problems. Greased bearings once a year, ran 60 lbs. of air instead of 55. Replaced bias ply tires just before I sold it. It probably had about 25000 miles on it. Checked brakes, showed very little wear. After the first few times using, the straps tended to loosen up a bit, but then there was very little looseness, although I checked them at every stop. To answer the question about steering, the Master Tow has a pivoting pan.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my Master Tow dolly used from a friend. It came with chains as backups to the straps. I didn't like the idea of them scratching the chassis of my new car. I removed them and replaced them with coated cables that I had from my Blue Ox tow bar.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought my MT (w/SB) used (Garage stored) for a great price last month. Two points for your info.

The straps were faded and beyond my comfort level so I ordered new ones from MT (Cheaper than anywhere else). They did have the "Middle sized" straps with the buckle but I tow a Toyota Solara with 17" OEM rims. The straps did not come over the sides of the tires enough for my comfort so I went up to their large sized/ring adjustable straps. These also fit our other tow, Toyota Yaris but I have to take apart the straps to use the smallest loops.

Second piece of info is that the MT must not come from the factory with surge brakes. The manual only covers electric. I had to google the mfg of the surge coupler in order to find out how to "test" the coupler, and lock it out for reversing (OBTW it takes a 2x4 against the safety chains to lip of the coupler to compress the receiver and check the brakes). Not sure what model/mfg yours will have but ask for a manual. Mine came with a Titan Aero-6000TM. That model is not made anymore but the manual was on-line. It has a wide coupler latch and the attached safety pin did not stay in place so I replaced it with farm implement latching bale pin.

Enjoy your MT
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

OBTW, if you tow the dolly empty, you are suppose to drop the tire pressure to 10psi (to reduce bounce and strain on the welds) so a portable compressor might be a handy tool.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Thanks for your comments. Yeap - that seems to be the number 1 word of caution given. Will be also purchasing an extra set of straps, tow chains for backup of the straps. Gotta figure out a spare tire solution too. I know Tow Master sells them as accessories too. I don't recall seeing too many people having them. I assume they rely on their road side assistance to resolve?

So what can of tow chains do you guys recommend? I should have asked this in my original post.

Thanks.
Odd that is didn't come with safety chains...maybe worth a call to your dealer(?)

If you have to buy a set, I recommend chain over cable for overall strength. Walmart sells a quality set from Reese for a good price and the threaded loops ends won't drop like a hook end might: Reese Towpower Safety Chain: Automotive : Walmart.com

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Coupler safety chains should be included. However chains you connect from the dolly pan to the towed vehicle as a back up to the straps are an option.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
When you load the car on the dolley let it roll to the back of the pads then tighten the strap and then put in park. This allows the car to roll forward while tightening the straps and they don't have the problem of coming loose.
Nice tip - I understand that is what fray's the straps is it coming loose. I haven't read up on how to properly strap down yet. This is good stuff.

Tags
brake, brakes, dolly, tow dolly