Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Kar Kaddy and a Hybrid

We are looking into any number of ways to tow a vehicle along with out Winnie 35j sightseer. Coming to the top of the pile after reading numerous posts is using the Kar Kaddy SS. From the sound of it most folks are happy with the set up.

Has anyone had experience with towing a hybrid in this manner? There is lots of conflicting information especially around Toyota vehicles. They apparently don't like their vehicles to be towed to anywhere other than the dealership.

In all seriousness, we are considering towing a Lexus ct200h or a Ford cmax. Any information you can share would be great. Thanks for the assist.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

We tow a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Same as Ford Escape. No problems using a Master Tow dolly w/electric brakes and a pendulum controller.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As long as all drive wheels are off the ground there won't be any problem other than the posible low groung clearance when loading and un loading. The Kar Kaddy SS comes with a fold down light bar in the middle of the frame and I had to remove that.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have a Sightseer 35j. Our towed vehicle of choice is our AWD Ford Escape. We have not implemented our plan yet but our intention is to buy an open frame tandem axle car trailer to carry the Escape behind us in tow. This combo approaches the tow cap limit but saves us $$$ because we own the Escape and will not need to purchase all of the accessories needed for a four down TOAD. We also have a FWD Focus we could use on a dolly but we think the compact SUV will be be a better choice for scouting sites and other chores.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we tow our Honda Civic Hybrid on the ACME EZE TOW Dolly...no issues whatever!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
I tow a Lincoln MKZ ( sister to ford fusion) hybrid 4 wheels down! Note you need a special type supplemental brake system for full time electric brakes on hybrids too!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a Lexus RX300 on a KarKaddy SS. I did not like the stock tie-down wenches. I re-engineered, and fabricated new wenches. I do like the KarKaddy SS.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Since you are also looking at Fords, just ask your dealer for the Ford Towing Guide (you can also search this forum for it). You might just be able to tow the c-Max 4 down and that is always preferable to dolly towing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I tow a Lexus RX300 on a KarKaddy SS. I did not like the stock tie-down wenches. I re-engineered, and fabricated new wenches. I do like the KarKaddy SS.
You've got tie-down wenches on your KarKaddY? Kinky!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You might just be able to tow the c-Max 4 down and that is always preferable to dolly towing.
Is that because there is less hardware to store at the destination or is it also a safety issue? According to Ford you can tow a CMax 4 down.

Less equipment is always a plus but then I am married to the car I get the baseplate for... My wife likes to have options and a dolly seems like a good choice... Unless there is a safety concern (I have not seen much either way).
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

We are currently looking at the ct200h to put on a dolly to tow. The mph on the ct200h is great. I have a buddy that swears he gets upper 40's to 50 mpg with it on the road . It would balance the mileage from the RV. Lol.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-banditos View Post
Is that because there is less hardware to store at the destination or is it also a safety issue? According to Ford you can tow a CMax 4 down.

Less equipment is always a plus but then I am married to the car I get the baseplate for... My wife likes to have options and a dolly seems like a good choice... Unless there is a safety concern (I have not seen much either way).
No safety concern. It's just a preference, some people prefer 4 down while others prefer dolly towing. I have a Kar Kaddy SS, follows the coach fine don't know is there without looking in the rear camera. I boughg a used dolly, and tow a 03 Altima. Went with dolly because I didn't want buy a vehicle just to tow 4 down, plus all the equipment needed.
Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote