Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Kar Kaddy SS

I have a Kar Kaddy SS. Wondering if other users have a similar issue.
Towed it empty the other day about 100 miles and noticed that the wheels were NOT tracking straight to the RV.
If you have seen this issue, how did you correct it?

P.S. the wheels were turned in Prior to putting in the Locking pin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like the locking setup is not set straight ahead. Easy adjustment, just need to slide the bracket on the tie rod a little bit.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

Our locking pin requires that the wheel be straight.

Also, if you are towing it empty, they recommend reducing the sir pressure, to about 15 as I recall. That would not explain the tracking issue though. .
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the toe-in, the procedure is in the owners manual. If you don't have the manual you can download it here.
Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #5

Can u please tell me how to do this?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If its a new unit take it back and have them fix it. I have had one for 4 years and have no problems except one finder cracked (I have no idea how that happened). The split the cost $50.00 and they paid for shipping. They have great customer service I find.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHERMANN View Post
Can u please tell me how to do this?
Here's the instructions copied from the owners manual. I would attach the manual, however, it is over the 3 MB limit.

MEASURING THE TOE-IN
Have the tongue in a “hooked-up” position with the ball coupler 18” off the ground. Jack up the axle just enough to allow you to take the wheels off and put blocks under the axle. Take the wheels off. Find two 24” long bars. These could be a level, a square or a straight piece of iron bar. Clamp one bar tight to the face of each hub/Brake Drum with 12” extending forward and backward of the center of the spindle. The bars must be parallel to the platform the car sits on. Measure across the back end of the bars and then across the front end. The front measurement should be 1/32” to 1/16” less than the back measurement. If the unit needs to be adjusted, this must be done by adjusting the tie rod.

TOE-IN ADJUSTMENT
1. Put a mark on each side of the locking clamp on the tie rod.
2. Loosen the locking nuts on each end of the tie rod and then the six bolts on the tie rod locking clamp.
3. Turn the tie rod whichever direction is needed until you have a front measurement of 1/32” to 1/16” less than the back measurement.
4. Hold the tie rod and tighten the locknuts on each end.
5. Measure again to make sure the toe-in measurement has not moved.
6. Tighten the locking clamp bolts while holding clamp between the marks you previously put on the tie rod.
7. Reassemble the rest of the Kar Kaddy unit.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
Our locking pin requires that the wheel be straight.

Also, if you are towing it empty, they recommend reducing the sir pressure, to about 15 as I recall. That would not explain the tracking issue though. .
And, as I said, if the locking bracket is slightly off center then the dolly will tow crooked as the OP states his does.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
If its a new unit take it back and have them fix it. I have had one for 4 years and have no problems except one finder cracked (I have no idea how that happened). The split the cost $50.00 and they paid for shipping. They have great customer service I find.
Tim
Our original fenders both broke around the rivets, they sent me two new ones for nothing not even freight and I installed them myself.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our original fenders both broke around the rivets, they sent me two new ones for nothing not even freight and I installed them myself.
Same here and I'm the third owner. Called Demco when I bought it, told them the finders were cracked at the rivets. Sent me two new ones at no charge.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And, as I said, if the locking bracket is slightly off center then the dolly will tow crooked as the OP states his does.
That's much easier to check first then the Toe-in.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ouch that one hurt, I had heard that before, Free.
That's how it goes
If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote