Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #15

FWIW: I believe most decent dollys will load most toads if the recommended hitch ball height is at the manufacturer recommended height.
I belive the KarKaddy recommends 18".
There are of course a few cars that are exceptionally low in the front that would have problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
What kind of dolly are you using for the mini cooper?
Kar Kaddy SS - we love it.

On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The VW will be very happy on a dolly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow-dolly-lead.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	131056

This photo includes ours - a different brand...so EZE to use.

We have the little receiver hitch on the toad too, like mentioned above...and doubles as a place for a bike rack.
But, have never been asked to store the dolly off our park site, because being very lightweight is slides under the RV with little effort. And another member here got a small dolly for the tongue to make it a breeze to move about. Good idea for any brand dolly.

And, I submit there is no reason to get under the car for loading. If your car's hard points for the safety chains are under the car and hard to reach...just add a small loop of quality chain to the car with a screw d-ring...makes hooking the safety chain easier.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
We have a VW New Beetle and I think the front bumper is about 5 inches from the ground...similar to the prius. Have you had any issues loading or unloading your prius because of ground clearance?
The Prius C front air dam is 5.5 inches from the ground and about 25.5" in front of where the tire meets the pavement (the shorter the better for loading clearance). I had no problem loading except one needs to make sure the pin for keeping the dolly wheels from steering when towing without a car is removed since the pin handle would hit the car. I have used both an 8 inch drop ball mount which puts the top of the ball about 22 inches above the ground and an 11" drop mount to get closer to Demco's recommended height.

Before I bought the KK3 I tried to load the Prius on a Master Tow dolly and the air dam hit the ramps before the tires. I test loaded a Demco dolly with the Prius before I ordered mine and I suggest if you are considering another brand that you either do the same or get information from someone towing your type vehicle with one before purchasing.

I also have put a bike rack receiver hitch mount on the Prius and use it move the dolly. So far, I have only used it to bring the dolly up or down my sloped driveway so I can hook/unhook on the street. The dolly is easy enough to move short distances on level ground by hand. (One hint - take off the foam sleeve on the handle before lifting the tongue as it may slip off and drop the dolly on your toe. Ask me how I know.)
AnBfromDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnBfromDE View Post
The Prius C front air dam is 5.5 inches from the ground and about 25.5" in front of where the tire meets the pavement (the shorter the better for loading clearance). I had no problem loading except one needs to make sure the pin for keeping the dolly wheels from steering when towing without a car is removed since the pin handle would hit the car. I have used both an 8 inch drop ball mount which puts the top of the ball about 22 inches above the ground and an 11" drop mount to get closer to Demco's recommended height.

Before I bought the KK3 I tried to load the Prius on a Master Tow dolly and the air dam hit the ramps before the tires. I test loaded a Demco dolly with the Prius before I ordered mine and I suggest if you are considering another brand that you either do the same or get information from someone towing your type vehicle with one before purchasing.

I also have put a bike rack receiver hitch mount on the Prius and use it move the dolly. So far, I have only used it to bring the dolly up or down my sloped driveway so I can hook/unhook on the street. The dolly is easy enough to move short distances on level ground by hand. (One hint - take off the foam sleeve on the handle before lifting the tongue as it may slip off and drop the dolly on your toe. Ask me how I know.)
You used two different heights...how did each one work for you?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #20

I don't see a big difference between the two ball heights. The dolly is a little more level with the lower ball height but I have not had any issues when loading with either height. I have also not had any issue loading when the MH is on the jacks which raises the ball even more.

The reason I have experience with both ball heights is because when I bought the dolly we kind of guessed at the hitch receiver height. The MH was parked in my driveway where the slope increased behind the rear wheels so I couldn't get an accurate measurement. The dealer and I guessed 8 inches would be about right. After I got the MH on a level street I measured the ball height at 22 inches so I bought the 11 inch drop ball mount. About 1500 miles into our recent 6000 mile trip I pulled into a Pizza Hut parking lot for lunch. There was a steep short drop in back of the restaurant which I foolishly went down, fortunately slowly, and the 11 inch drop drug on the pavement and bent. I switched it out with the 8 inch drop mount I still had in the basement and went on my way. In retrospect I should have taken the car and dolly off, done a K turn, rehooked up and exited the way I came in but I was still a relative noob at that point. Actually, I am still a noob looking for more dumb mistakes to make.

AnBfromDE is offline   Reply With Quote