Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
KarKaddy SS by Demco

What has your experience been, and what type of car did you tow with it?

The more input, the better!

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Also, any problems?
__________________

__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,491
We've had the KK-460 for several years now. Used it to tow a '05 Honda Odyssey (dry weight of 4,400#'s). Never had any trouble even though the van is pretty much maxing the dolly out plus we loaded another 500#'s of goods in it. In fact the van tire sidewalls ride on the outside of the tire pans but never damaged a tire. Follows the MH better than towing four down. The only "trouble" we had was the first time out using it and I didn't get one of the ramps secured and it let the nose of the van scrape the ramp.
Went back to towing the Ody four down now but am keeping the dolly in case the next vehicle we buy can't be towed on all it's wheels.
Well the original fenders did break around the mounting holes. Took pictures and forwarded them to Demco and they shipped me new ones at no charge. It was also missing a spring and plunger unit that was needed with a DP to keep the surge brake from activating when the exhaust/engine brake is in use. Again, no charge.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
What has your experience been, and what type of car did you tow with it?

The more input, the better!

Thanks!
We have the Kar-Kaddy 3 which is the same as the SS but without the folding features.
We towed a 2007 Toyota Highlander with it until I configured the F-150 for flat tow. Even without the folding features it was easy enough to put at the rear of the RV park pads and back the RV in place since most of the length ended up uder the rear of the RV.
The dolly worked just fine when we used it. It's probably one of the best rated dollys out there but the price holds most back.
[moderator edit]
__________________
JohnH12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 8
KK3 with Prius C

I bought a Kar Kaddy 3 this year to tow the DW's Prius C behind our new Motorhome. (The KK3 is the non-folding version of the SS). These Demco dollys are the only brand I found that will load the low ground clearance Priuses without modification to the dolly or car. These dollys are also well designed and well made.

We just got back from a 6000+ mile trip from Delaware to NM, AZ, Utah and Wyoming and are very happy with the KK3. It tracks well and is fairly easy to load/unload taking about 10 minutes to load and tie down the car and 5 minutes or less to unstrap and unload the car.

I use a rubber mat to lay on the ground for hooking/unhooking and I highly recommend using something similar. The solid rubber cushions the gravel and protects from ground moisture. I use one designed to go under a stationary bike since I had one on hand but a floor mat designed to reduce standing fatigue should work as well.
__________________
Bob & Ann
Bennie, Maggie & Murphy (shih Tzus), Rina (cat)
Itasca Sunstar 35B, RSSA, Demco KK3 towing Prius C
AnBfromDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We've had the KK-460 for several years now. Used it to tow a '05 Honda Odyssey (dry weight of 4,400#'s). Never had any trouble even though the van is pretty much maxing the dolly out plus we loaded another 500#'s of goods in it. In fact the van tire sidewalls ride on the outside of the tire pans but never damaged a tire. Follows the MH better than towing four down. The only "trouble" we had was the first time out using it and I didn't get one of the ramps secured and it let the nose of the van scrape the ramp.
Went back to towing the Ody four down now but am keeping the dolly in case the next vehicle we buy can't be towed on all it's wheels.
Well the original fenders did break around the mounting holes. Took pictures and forwarded them to Demco and they shipped me new ones at no charge. It was also missing a spring and plunger unit that was needed with a DP to keep the surge brake from activating when the exhaust/engine brake is in use. Again, no charge.
By not getting one of the ramps secured do you mean it wasn't locked forward? Did it hurt your van?
__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
By not getting one of the ramps secured do you mean it wasn't locked forward? Did it hurt your van?
Yep, and yes, it made some pretty nasty gouges in the plastic bumper cover. Never had it repaired either.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, and yes, it made some pretty nasty gouges in the plastic bumper cover. Never had it repaired either.
About how many inches between the bottom of the bumper and the ground?
__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
About how many inches between the bottom of the bumper and the ground?
I'd have to go measure it and I'm at work now.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
vettenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,583
Even though I have a different dolly, one suggestion. I put a small hitch on the car I tow. This allows me to move the dolly around when necessary. At some campgrounds, they have you store the dolly off your site in a separate parking area. Even though they will get the dolly for you, if you want an early start I always go grab it myself using the hitch on the car. Then just remove the ball mount part of the hitch prior to putting on the car on the dolly.
__________________
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Even though I have a different dolly, one suggestion. I put a small hitch on the car I tow. This allows me to move the dolly around when necessary. At some campgrounds, they have you store the dolly off your site in a separate parking area. Even though they will get the dolly for you, if you want an early start I always go grab it myself using the hitch on the car. Then just remove the ball mount part of the hitch prior to putting on the car on the dolly.
Nice idea.
__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
LynnD's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Even though I have a different dolly, one suggestion. I put a small hitch on the car I tow. This allows me to move the dolly around when necessary. At some campgrounds, they have you store the dolly off your site in a separate parking area. Even though they will get the dolly for you, if you want an early start I always go grab it myself using the hitch on the car. Then just remove the ball mount part of the hitch prior to putting on the car on the dolly.
OMG this is a great idea!!!!! We never worried with it but age has changed that to the point that sometimes we just rent a car!

We tow our Mini Cooper and we had a steep learning curve at first! It took us up to 30 minutes to load and unload...now we're much more efficient, it only takes 28 minutes! Just kidding!!
__________________
Lynn & Andy Dudish
2005 Winnebago Adventurer
Kar Kaddy with VW Eos
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
OMG this is a great idea!!!!! We never worried with it but age has changed that to the point that sometimes we just rent a car!

We tow our Mini Cooper and we had a steep learning curve at first! It took us up to 30 minutes to load and unload...now we're much more efficient, it only takes 28 minutes! Just kidding!!
What kind of dolly are you using for the mini cooper?
__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
BobMontgomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cody, WY
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnBfromDE View Post
I bought a Kar Kaddy 3 this year to tow the DW's Prius C behind our new Motorhome. (The KK3 is the non-folding version of the SS). These Demco dollys are the only brand I found that will load the low ground clearance Priuses without modification to the dolly or car. These dollys are also well designed and well made.

We just got back from a 6000+ mile trip from Delaware to NM, AZ, Utah and Wyoming and are very happy with the KK3. It tracks well and is fairly easy to load/unload taking about 10 minutes to load and tie down the car and 5 minutes or less to unstrap and unload the car.

I use a rubber mat to lay on the ground for hooking/unhooking and I highly recommend using something similar. The solid rubber cushions the gravel and protects from ground moisture. I use one designed to go under a stationary bike since I had one on hand but a floor mat designed to reduce standing fatigue should work as well.
We have a VW New Beetle and I think the front bumper is about 5 inches from the ground...similar to the prius. Have you had any issues loading or unloading your prius because of ground clearance?
__________________

__________________
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for owner comments on Demco Karkaddy 3 dolly BBQ Judge Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 05-16-2015 09:19 PM
Installing Surge Brakes Demco KarKaddy RJsfishin Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 5 04-01-2014 07:39 AM
Specific Experience with KarKaddy SS MN_Traveler Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 35 08-19-2012 02:36 PM
Problem with KarKaddy 460SS Weekenders Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 09-21-2010 07:25 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.