Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

Keeping Honda CRV Steering Column Unlocked During Dolly Towing

Since I already have an EZ Tow Dolly from my previous car I'm going to continue to use it for my new-to-me 2014 CRV for a while. On the EZ Tow you must have the steering column unlocked which requires the key being in the ignition and set to the accessory position. Over the course of several hours of towing this could lead to the battery draining to the point of the car not being able to start. There are several options including (I would think) disconnecting the battery. On my old Murano there was a specific Steering Column Lock fuse I could remove. Once taken out the steering column would not lock (the Murano had a keyless FOB unlike the CRV where you put the key in the ignition). So I'm assuming the steering colum lock is mechanical, not electrical where a fuse could defeat it for towing. Any other ideas for the least amount of effort to tow on a dolly? Battery disconnect switch?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

Most 4 down in a instructions include removing the fuse to the radio or putting in a switch. You could do that too. There are switches available that fit into one of the blank punch outs by the steering wheel. The bad news is that you loose your radio programing.

The only other option I know of is to run a separate circuit to charge the battery from your tow.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remember you can only tow the front wheel drive CRV on a dolly, not the all wheel drive.

Glenn
Old 10-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or you could add a charge line to the CR-V. We have a KK-460 and owed our '05 Ody on it with no trouble as the column needs to be locked on that dolly. When we went back to four down I ended up having top install a charge line as the battery went dead otherwise.
And, as was posted above, only the front wheel drive CR-V can be towed on a dolly, the AWD must be flat towed or on a trailer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Since I already have an EZ Tow Dolly from my previous car I'm going to continue to use it for my new-to-me 2014 CRV for a while. ...
Just to repeat...you can't tow it on a dolly UNLESS it is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY!

But I see you are from FL where that could be entirely possible/normal availability.

EDIT: OOPPSS...I see Mr_D was the second reminder after Glenn...LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Have been towing an '05 CRV 4-down ad not pulling the fuse since 2007. If you do not have an outside electric draw (ie. Brake Buddy or similar) you should have no problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Since I already have an EZ Tow Dolly from my previous car I'm going to continue to use it for my new-to-me 2014 CRV for a while. On the EZ Tow you must have the steering column unlocked which requires the key being in the ignition and set to the accessory position. Over the course of several hours of towing this could lead to the battery draining to the point of the car not being able to start. There are several options including (I would think) disconnecting the battery. On my old Murano there was a specific Steering Column Lock fuse I could remove. Once taken out the steering column would not lock (the Murano had a keyless FOB unlike the CRV where you put the key in the ignition). So I'm assuming the steering colum lock is mechanical, not electrical where a fuse could defeat it for towing. Any other ideas for the least amount of effort to tow on a dolly? Battery disconnect switch?
Please read the owners manual on towing, page 235. PM me with your email address and I will provide you with some pictures of the fuse modification and switch location. Trying to pull the fuse and replace it each time you tow is nuts. The radio memory is not bothered with this fuse pulled. Only the AUX circuit which includes the Bluetooth and USB ports are shut down.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would never tow the car on a dolly. Sell the dolly and equip the car with a base plate and breaking system. I did all the work myself and it was not that hard. The Air Force One breaking system is great.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or you could add a charge line to the CR-V. We have a KK-460 and owed our '05 Ody on it with no trouble as the column needs to be locked on that dolly. When we went back to four down I ended up having top install a charge line as the battery went dead otherwise.
And, as was posted above, only the front wheel drive CR-V can be towed on a dolly, the AWD must be flat towed or on a trailer.
This is true for the 2015 on model years. The 2014 and earlier model years can be towed 4 down. Pulling a fuse saves the battery on cars with bells and whistles drawing power in the steering wheel unlock position.

Rick Y
Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks. I'll PM you. It's Front Wheel drive and I already have everything I need for dolly towing. The front tow loops male rigging the safety chains much easier, which was one of my biggest complaints about the dolly. Eventually I'll go 4 down, but I'm still deciding on supplemental brake systems (see my separate thread on that subject).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Please read the owners manual on towing, page 235. PM me with your email address and I will provide you with some pictures of the fuse modification and switch location. Trying to pull the fuse and replace it each time you tow is nuts. The radio memory is not bothered with this fuse pulled. Only the AUX circuit which includes the Bluetooth and USB ports are shut down.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would never tow the car on a dolly. Sell the dolly and equip the car with a base plate and breaking system. I did all the work myself and it was not that hard. The Air Force One breaking system is great.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I installed the FuseMaster from Road Master on my 2011. Haven't had to jump start her since.

Oh I did have a "nice" conversation with Honda Corp about the dumb place they put the fuse you have to pull. Suggested they move it to the fuse block under the hood. That was in November of 2011. They told me it wasn't that big of a deal since less then 1% of their CRV's were sold to RV'ers.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, honda, steering, tow, towing