Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

I need some assurance that I am not going to make a mistake when I alter the way the motorhome is wired to my toad. Here is what I want to do: Run a wire from the 12 volts connection on the motorhome large harness plug at the back to essentially the 12 volts toad battery. I use the Stay In Play SMI Brake unit which draws its power from the toad battery. The problem is that the battery has gone dead twice already after being connected continuously for 24 hours.

Thanks for your help.

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

I need some assurance that I am not going to make a mistake when I alter the way the motorhome is wired to my toad. Here is what I want to do: Run a wire from the 12 volts connection on the motorhome large harness plug at the back to essentially the 12 volts toad battery. I use the Stay In Play SMI Brake unit which draws its power from the toad battery. The problem is that the battery has gone dead twice already after being connected continuously for 24 hours.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gaetan Lavoie:

Thanks for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out the Toad Charge product. It includes everything to do what you want.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

The Toad Charge looks like a good way to go, I have a relay conected to the ignition switch that turns off the charging circuit when the motor home is not running, preventing the toad from killing both batteries.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #5

I ran a 12VDC wire from the Coach's Chassis battery to the "Toad-Charge" unit. I also ran a dedicated line for the even-Brake directly from the Toad's battery.

When we stop for the night I disconnect the umbillical from the Coach to the Toad and remove power to the Even-Brake. In the morning I re-connect the Coach to the Toad and power-up and test the Even-Brake again.

So far (after 5,000 miles), no problems.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several years ago I made a toad charge. I ran a fused wire from the starter lug on the Onan to the toad along with a ground. I used a heavy duty diode to prevent feed back from toad when MH engine not running. It has worked fine. I used to pull a 02 Buick LaSabre and there was not a way to stop battery drain. I used a 2nd umbilical cord.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I found a toad tow wiring kit at rvupgrades.com
It is a little pricey but it gives you all wires,connectors,etc and thier module does more then the minimal diode setup. I just got it in mail and haven't installed it as yet.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Several years ago I made a toad charge. I ran a fused wire from the starter lug on the Onan to the toad along with a ground. I used a heavy duty diode to prevent feed back from toad when MH engine not running. It has worked fine. I used to pull a 02 Buick LaSabre and there was not a way to stop battery drain. I used a 2nd umbilical cord. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

I like your idea of installing a diode to prevent the toad from draining the motorhome battery when parked overnight.

Thank you,
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
If you are like me and 12V challenged, consider buying this. I use this product. It works as advertised and I would make the purchase again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 12v wire running from my MH to the battery of the toad through a small circuit breaker for protection. It works flawlessly.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like your idea of installing a diode to prevent the toad from draining the motorhome battery when parked overnight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The diode will not do that, Gaeton. What it does is to prevent the motorhome from sucking power from the toad battery when the motorhome engine is not running.

Think about it: the diode has to let power flow from the motorhome to the toad or you aren't getting the 12v you want there. If it allows power to flow in that direction while towing during the day, it will also allow it to flow overnight while parked.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #12

I Agree!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like your idea of installing a diode to prevent the toad from draining the motorhome battery when parked overnight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The diode will not do that, Gaeton. What it does is to prevent the motorhome from sucking power from the toad battery when the motorhome engine is not running.

Think about it: the diode has to let power flow from the motorhome to the toad or you aren't getting the 12v you want there. If it allows power to flow in that direction while towing during the day, it will also allow it to flow overnight while parked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #13

Wiring a relay in the circuit that is controlled from the ignition bus will prevent current from flowing either way with the MH off.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #14

use a fuse and blocking diode.

tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote