Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Kia Soul as a Toad?

I'm thinking about getting a Kia Soul with a standard transmission to use as a Toad with my diesel. Any thoughts?

BlondeGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
We rented a Soul before we bought our toad and really liked the room and amenities and it had plenty of power. When shopping for a toad we found a Soul that had about 35000 miles on it, but the doors sagged and it had not been well maintained so we passed it up. We didn't see another manual trans so we ended up buying a Yaris. Dependable but uncomfortable and not very roomy. I really wish we could have waited for either a Soul or a Fit.

In other words, I think a Soul could be a good toad.

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been considering one as a future toad. Appear a good value, has long warranty, lots of room and utility.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
We drag ours all around the east coast. Its an automatic so it goes on a dolly but it's a great 4 seat car. 4 big adults and the 2 liter engine zips along.

Almost 70,000 miles with no problems other then tires.

Our 2011 has locking steering, something you may need to address, flat towing.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
We have a 2013 Soul that has followed us behind a Navion, a 34 ft Country Coach and now it follows our new Tiffin Allegro Bus. It's a great choice and has already rolled up about 20,000 miles as a tow car.
Dan and Dr. Jan, 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37 AP, 450 HP Cummins ISL, 2013 Kia Soul Toad, SMI Stay in Play toad braking, Protect-A-Tow stone guard
Dsmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #6
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We also rented a 2015 Kia Soul and found it to be comfortable for us. We were towing our full sized pickup, so we wanted to make sure we were comfortable in the Soul first. So we purchased a new 2015 Soul, standard transmission.

VERY easy to set up - put in neutral, turn key to the 'off' position but do NOT remove the key. Removing the key locks the steering wheel. Release the emergency brake and that is it. We use a "jumper pack" to power the brake buddy, it keeps from drawing down the Kia battery and also as an emergency jump start, air compressor etc. I don't think the Kia has a 'hot' 12v plug available, but one could be added easily if you wanted.

Many ways to handle the tow lights, I purchased an LED turn/brake light with turn and brake functions and mounted it inside the rear window, running the wires through the rear hatch, underneath the car to the front connector. Another way would to be to use the rear reflectors, replacing them with brake/turn signals.

At the weight of the vehicle, you don't even know it is their. The tow plate installation was a little intimidating, but after getting over the shock of removing parts from a brand new car, it was straight forward and not all that difficult.

We enjoy the car, good mileage, comfortable .. .. .. but doesn't haul nearly all the 'stuff' we had managed to stow in the covered bed of the pickup truck<grin>.

All in all - seems like a great little tow vehicle.
GRonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I also tow a 2015 Kia Soul used Roadmaster brackets and was a easy install with hardly any trimming,
Also there is a link on this forum to a Kia Soul forum with instructions how to install a OEM cruse for about $70 also install a key fob to lock the doors for under $12, I also installed the delux middle arm rest but it's a little bit more bucks at over $200.
I also installed led DRL on the inside edge of the headlights.
I removed the rear reflectors and added our tow lights threre, my toad brake system mashes the toad brake (Roadmaster Brakemaster )and would cover up my signal lights from the coach when the coach brakes were mashed, also the Korean cars use Gerry small wire to the brake tail lights and I did not ant to cut into them, I also added a charge line from the coach chassis battery to keep the toad battery up in fact I have used a charge line on all our toads for a few yrs now and don't have to worry about a dead battery.
We love the little car!
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
I had one as a rental once and loved it. Unfortunately my wife doesn't. The Soul is probably second on my list for next toad, first being a Suburu CrossTrek for the 4wd capability. I think that could be useful when we start sightseeing in the western states.

I found the Soul to be very comfortable and the seating position was more upright similar to a pickup truck. Some cars have you almost reclining and they aren't comfortable after a while. It also has a ton off room in it and I think it would be a great car to tow. Not sure of the curb weight though.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2015 six speed Soul. Over 10K miles so far with no issues. Using Roadmaster towing gear, which was a fairly easy do it yourself install. Car weighs about 2,700 lb. and coach tows it no problem. It's a great combination of economy, comfort and utility.
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
Thanks everyone. I think we will go that way too ☺

BlondeGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote

« LR3 | Honda CR-V »