Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Buy an American car and support your own national economy. The Koreans won't be paying your pension.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

And even if flat-towing is not covered under warranty, that still applies only to components specifically affected by the towing, e.g. transmission or drive axle. Your entire warranty is not "voided" by that one act. For example, they can't refuse to fix your dashboard or a droopy headliner because you towed it. Federal law prohibits any sort of blanket "voiding of a vehicle warranty (Magnuson-Moss Act).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Totally agree with Jim2. As others have said, get it in writing from KIA. KIA out trumps the dealer. I have a Tacoma that has been modified against the warranty for towing. I have never had a problem getting warranty work done. One time I did have to remove the disconnect before they would replace the transmission seal. I removed it in the parking lot and the repair was made under warranty. The base plate has never been a problem at two different dealers and I am in direct violation of the warranty.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Did you listen to the dealer or did you read this in the owners manual? I would not believe the dealer. Read the manual. After reading the owners manual, call Fiat corporate, don't simply rely on the dealer. Most don't know, only guess... I have had the dealer say that they checked with the service manager and was told that the car I was looking at could not be flat towed, then I read the owners manual and it clearly stated that the car must be flat towed and could not be towed on a dolly.

What does Fiat have to do with a Kia? Did I miss something?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
No Doc Fiat has nothing to do with Kia, Kia does have a plant in West Point Ga but the Soul are not made there, I did call their customer satisfaction no in GA and the young lady I talk to did send me the 2014 TSB and I got the 2015 (same as the 14 TSB ) from another source. You could print out the one that was posted or I could send you a copy so you could show your Dealer, from the sound Of your post on your Dealer I'm not sure it would do any good but if he will call Kia he could get the correct info, it been out there since at least 2011.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #20

Carolina Campers
Kia Soul - Flat Tow VOIDS Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
What does Fiat have to do with a Kia? Did I miss something?

Nothing.... But who knows, maybe Fiat has the answer.... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #21

I went there yesterday in person, and yes, only looking at stick shift. Dealer says flat tow info is only for short distances in emergencies, not for long flat towing. .. what the. .... he said that all warrantee work goes through kia to pay and they may refuse if damage is related to flat tow, especially transmission issues.
Doc Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way. There is a Federal Law that says they can not void a warranty unless the reason they are voiding it is a contributing factor to the failure. For example. If you burn up a transmission towing (improperly) That voids it,, IF the Air Conditioner goes out. That is not towing related and they can not deny you.. (I am using extreme examples) Several other issues may or may not be towing related.

HOWEVER to a dealer: ANY modification can be used as an excuse to void the warranty.. I am serious when I tell you to a dealer changing hubcaps (or brands of tires) may be enough to get them to deny at least at the first level.. Of course at second level that may not work and you may be approved but ....

Well dealers are not in the habit of doing repairs for which they do not get paid well, and the company does not pay nearly as well for warranty work as you do for the same exact work out of your pocket.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
I went there yesterday in person, and yes, only looking at stick shift. Dealer says flat tow info is only for short distances in emergencies, not for long flat towing. .. what the. .... he said that all warrantee work goes through kia to pay and they may refuse if damage is related to flat tow, especially transmission issues.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #24

Well, I got the 2015 Kia Soul in the garage tonight. Price was amazing (less than $15k out the door). It is the manual transmission model.

So, what do I need to do to get it tow read???

I am stoked!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what I'm using:

RoadMaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-520

Base Plates for 2015 Kia Soul - Roadmaster RM-522114-4

DYI install. Still shopping for a supplemental brake system.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #26

Carolina Campers
Kia Soul - Flat Tow VOIDS Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Well, I got the 2015 Kia Soul in the garage tonight. Price was amazing (less than $15k out the door). It is the manual transmission model.

So, what do I need to do to get it tow read???

I am stoked!

Camping World and many other places can advise and install. You may need an auxiliary braking system as well.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah!
You are being jerked around of you have a manual transmission.

I have a 2015 Soul with a manual transmission, and the dealer even drove my Soul over to the local Camping World for them to install the baseplate and electrical wiring for me.
This is also mentioned specifically, on their web site in a technical bulletin.

RamblingDon
2006 Fleetwood 35E Bounder
2105 Kia Soul - TOAD
ramblingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Here's what I'm using:

RoadMaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-520

Base Plates for 2015 Kia Soul - Roadmaster RM-522114-4

DYI install. Still shopping for a supplemental brake system.
THANK YOU SIR! I ordered the stuff from eTrailer. I went with a Falcon All-Terrain tow bar though since I got one locally slightly used. I did get the exact same base-plate as you.

Tags
tow