Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
KIA Soul pulling 4 down ??

I am seriously considering going to the Ready Brute Elite Tow-bar system. I know there are a few pulling the KIA Soul four down and I am curious if you have ran into any problems. When I bought the KIA I got the 6 speed manual in the event I ever decided to switch from the dolly.

The dolly has it's good and bad points depending on whether your "pitching or catching". It has also been trouble free for about 8,000 mile, and required zero mods to the KIA. However; my situation centers on storage. I rent covered storage and everything was fine with my previous 32 foot MH but an upgrade to a 38.5 foot unit is making it really difficult to get around the area allocated to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a Kia Soul, but have researched it as a next wife's car plus able to do Toad duty. Everything I have read and talked to others, the Soul plus Ready Brute Elite is a great setup.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I don't have a Kia Soul, but have researched it as a next wife's car plus able to do Toad duty. Everything I have read and talked to others, the Soul plus Ready Brute Elite is a great setup.
The Base model is the only one with the manual transmission, not sure if the auto is tow-able, Great car, very roomy, high roof, easy in and out, true 5 adult passenger vehicle.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Brock we tow a 2015 Kia Soul and think the ready brute will be a good cheap toad brake. We used the Roadmaster brackets and the Roadmaster Brakemaster toad brake, the brackets was a easy install and you can go to the Roadmaster or Blue Ox web site and download the installation instructions. Go to this post on this forum for more info. The Kia auto trans are not towable 4 down.

2015 KIA SOUL Tow Car
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
The Base model is the only one with the manual transmission, not sure if the auto is tow-able, Great car, very roomy, high roof, easy in and out, true 5 adult passenger vehicle.
stick shift is towable, auto is not. Stick is only available in base model
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone installed a Ready Brake on a late model (2014-15) Kia Soul? I would like to do this; but it seems like some significant dis-assembly would be required in the engine compartment to install the cable in the firewall.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Folks: I picked up my Kia Soul (new) 2 days ago. I am hoping to install the tow plate myself, but a bit worried on the lighting stuff.

What are the kits available? Any suggestions/advice?

Lastly, for the tow bar, it seems a 10,000 pound monster is overkill, i've seen some aluminum ones rated for (I think) 5,000 pounds, which is still overkill, but more in the correct range.

Thoughts? THANKS!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would stay with Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow brackets and Blue Ox is a little cheaper, on the tow bar you are right a 5000 or 6000 is all you need and you might want to have a look at the Demco Comander tow bar its on sale from Demco new for $499 and on Amazon for about $450, one of the super nice features of the Demco is you can raise or lower the tow bar without a drop hitch but you would have to buy the connection tabs to connect the tow bar to the Blue Ox or Roadmaster brackets and that's no big deal.
I found a simple solution to installing tow lights on our 2015 Soul, I removed the two red reflectors from the bumper and installed two Peterson V426KR round tail lights sealed water tight lights incased in a black rubber seal, they fit snug in the hole and don't have to cut into the wiring harness. Another thing this accomplishes if your toad brake mashes the brake peddle the toad brake lights would cover up a turn signal from the RV if you use the bulb kit or the diod kit, that could be a problem.
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
Old 08-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
I found a simple solution to installing tow lights on our 2015 Soul, I removed the two red reflectors from the bumper and installed two Peterson V426KR round tail lights sealed water tight lights incased in a black rubber seal, they fit snug in the hole and don't have to cut into the wiring harness. Another thing this accomplishes if your toad brake mashes the brake peddle the toad brake lights would cover up a turn signal from the RV if you use the bulb kit or the diod kit, that could be a problem.
Thanks! Would be great to see a picture of your set up. So, did you run the wires under the car to the rear, was it easy to route? I also assume you are using the turn signals and brakes into these tail lights. Does this mean you do not use the turn signals on the car at all? I would have guessed they were a little too low to be effective in those silly reflector spots.

Great to know.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Doc it is never easy for a 78 year old man to crawl around under a car to run the wires but doable. I use the coach turn, brake and tail lights on these added lights in the bumper, go look at the red reflectors in the rear bumper of your Soul, all I did is remove the reflectors and push the Peterson lights in their place you would not be notice the change unless you look real close.
They are low but will be seen, you might want to go with the diodes in the tail lights.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

I purchased a Roadmaster towbar used for our Kia Soul. We have towed thousands of miles with no issues. The soul is a very good toad. I paid to have my baseplate installed as my time is worth plenty to me, and even more the older I get. I let them order the correct parts as they received a discount and I wanted to make sure everything fit correct with my towbar and the connecting parts. I liked how the Roadmaster looked on the front versus the other brands. The Roadmaster install doesn't even show, as I use this as a daily driver. I wanted the car tail lights to work with the coach lights so it was a very clean install when done. I don't use a tow brake as the weight of my 2010 Kia is legal to tow in most every State without a tow brake and it's never been an issue on any mountain pass or road. We have traveled every mountain pass in WA, CA, AZ and Idaho with no issues on some very steep roads over 8,000 miles. Don't even notice the Kia back there even when going down steep roads. Just thought I would add my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I stopped posting and giving help here a long time ago after being attacked by the so-called experts on this blog. Good luck to you and don't over think it, it's a very light car.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Doc on the lights for the Kia I used a 4 wire round rubber coated wire # 14 or 16 wire and used a piece of 1/4 plastic tubing to route through the frame I used the driver side, on our coach I use a converter to go from the 5 wire ( tail,brake, left turn, right,turn, ground) to a 4 wire system ( tail,right turn and brake, left turn and brake, ground) and if I can rember correctly the top tail light does not light up when you mash the toad brake so you can use the diodes on this light for the coach tail, brake and turn lights but the wires in the Kia are really small probably smaller than a #20 wire and connections will be a little harder ( you might want to solder the connections ) it is doable but just need to be aware of the small wires. One other thing Doc your coach will most likely have the 5 wire system and may also already have the converter installed for the 4 wire system since you have towed a tow dolly.
Good luck with your install , it's not a hard job and you can go to Roadmaster or Blue Ox web site and print out the install instructions, just take your time , torque all bolts and use thread lock.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #13

ONE question on baseplate

Thanks again all! So, after reading these kind responses, I went on eTrailer.com and ordered a Roadmaster base plate with the EZ4 connection. Was $320 shipped. I know a guy in Tucson who has a Roadmaster all-terrain Falcon tow bar for sale cheap and in great shape (low use). Today, i spoke to fellow with the tow bar and he was really helpful. He told me I should get the EZ5 plate for $400 so i do not need to get the horizontal bar and adapters.

Does anyone have the straight info on this? I can see what he is talking about, so should I change my order to the EZ5 Roadmaster???

Thanks!