Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
KK460SS Auto Steer question

How "loose" should the Auto Steer be?

I recently bought a used (2006) KK460SS and on my first short trip (approx 10 miles to a CG) discovered a problem with the auto steer.

Initially, dolly was centered and straight behind MH with Toad centered on dolly and strapped per owners manual. Within a couple of miles after starting I saw in the side mirrors and rear monitor that the dolly was not tracking properly. Toad appeared straight but not the dolly. I stopped about 5 miles from home and confirmed what I was seeing while driving. The toad was straight and centered in relation to the MH but the dolly was not. If you drew a line parallel with the rear of the MH the dolly roadside tire was now forward of the curbside tire and if you were to back the toad straight off the dolly it would fall off the curbside edges of the ramps.

Thinking I may not have done it right before leaving, I unloaded the toad and then followed the loading instuctions again. Same problem occurred shortly after getting on the road.

Called Demco and they thought it may be the king pins needed to be lubed since it was a used unit and who knew how long it was since the last lube. Demco's instructions were, after lubing, jack the dolly lifting the tires off the ground and manhandle the auto steer to get it to loosen and move freely. After lubing it still takes great effort to move the tires back and forth. Pulling on one side of a tire I need to use my knee pushing on the other side to get it to move. So my question is, How "loose" should the auto steer be? Yes, the locking pin has been removed.

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours does the same thing. Our '05 Honda Odyssey steering won't lock dead ahead. It only locks at about 5 each side of centered. I tie it down with the steering centered but it'll shift as we travel and then the dolly "steps" out to one side or the other.
When the tires are on the ground I have to push the tire with my knee to move it. Have never tried it with the wheels off the ground.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't get the impression from Demco that what was happening to mine was normal. As hard as it was to get the tires to move side to side off the ground, there is no way I could get them to move when on the ground.

When you say your dolly "steps" out is that the same as I was describing?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
When you say your dolly "steps" out is that the same as I was describing?
Yep, it runs closer to the center line or fog line depending on which way the tires/wheels on the Ody lock. No matter how tight I tie them down they still turn and lock one way or the other.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

dolly

Check to make sure the axel is in alinement with the tongue. Take a tape measure from a fixed point on the tongue over to each king pin. Measurement should be the same. My wheels were hard to turn but the dolly worked great. Don
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just put new tires on the dolly. Have you experienced uneven treadwear because of the stepping out?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Check to make sure the axel is in alinement with the tongue
Eyeballing it, there was no obvious difference. Tomorrow, I'll take a tape and check.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
I just put new tires on the dolly. Have you experienced uneven treadwear because of the stepping out?
One tire is showing some extra wear on the outside of the tread. Should probably check the alignment as it showed up after towing 60 miles or so empty and the lock pin in.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My steer wheels are pretty easy to push around and only require my grabbing the front and rear of one wheel to put it in position... when unloaded. I've never tried moving them when loaded or when off the ground.

I also bought mine used and the first thing I did was to grease all fittings.
With the four cars I have hauled, it always tracks straight and true, even when the front wheels on the car were not completely straight when strapped down (adding yet another thing to my check list!!).
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
My steer wheels are pretty easy to push around and only require my grabbing the front and rear of one wheel to put it in position... when unloaded. I've never tried moving them when loaded or when off the ground.

I also bought mine used and the first thing I did was to grease all fittings.
With the four cars I have hauled, it always tracks straight and true, even when the front wheels on the car were not completely straight when strapped down (adding yet another thing to my check list!!).
Thanks for providing hope that mine will soon move easy and track straight. I've greased all the fittings but it's still very difficult to move when jacked up. I expect it's just going to take some time for the new grease to loosen things up. Until then, I will not even make an attempt to reposition the tires when they are on the ground.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry you are having problems. I truly like mine and can't imagine giving it up.

Just a suggestion, after lubing, you might need to load it up (put some weight on it) and take it for spin around a several blocks, making left and right turns, so it can work its way loose.

If it doesn't loosen up and track straight after that I would call Demco again.
It's possible that parts need to come apart and get cleaned and re-lubed before it works correctly... I like the loaded driving test better.

Maybe borrow a buddies truck and do the tow test with it instead of your MH.

Good luck!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fortunately, I have a vehicle that can be used for the tow test but other circumstances won't allow me to do it until the end of the month. Hopefully driving it will help loosen it. I'd hate to have to take things apart.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you go too far disconnect the steering shock and then see how easy it is ti turn. This steering shock is there to keep it from moving too freelyfrom side to side while going down the road.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion. That will make it easier to determine if it's binding or just in need of some fresh grease.