Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #43

It isn't the cite. The big problem arises if you have an accident. But to satisfy your curiosity. Yes I carried a tape measure in my patrol box. Along with extra flashlight batteries, bulbs and report forms.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a gun, but I've never used it

Are you telling us you have pulled people over with a MH pulling a towd because you thought the lights or flag might have been a foot short? Then tell us you carry a tape measure for that soul purpose. Sieg Heil

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #45

We tow a Honda CRV and love it. Roadmaster tow bar set up from etrailer.com was about $400.00. Fast and easy hook up and release.
Now, if you don't want to bother with all of that, Enterprise will pick you up and they have $20.00 weekend specials. Some campgrounds have deals set up with local car rental agencys where they will give you a discount on the rental fee.
Just a thought.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If I was still working in CA and I saw you driving during night time hours without additional lighting I would have cited you for cvc 24604 : lamp or flag on projection. Any projection over 4 ft must have flag or lighting. However, during the day the red color of toad tail light would probably qualify as flag. I suspect you can't find the section in your own state because of looking in wrong area. On equipment violations you just have to install or repair problem and show proof. Some agencies charge for the inspection after repairs are made. JMHO
SO SORRY to not reply sooner...
I had to run to the auto parts store to get some single bulb red lights, not to exceed 6 candle power IAW CVC24604 for the back of my toad that projects past the end of my dolly by 6 feet

AND, I was busy writing letters to U-Haul and Penske telling them that they have been allowing thousands of people to violate the vehicle code by renting car dolly's, without extra lighting for the back or their dolly carried car

I too would like to know if this was ever the basis for an actual vehicle citation, or not. A local po-po could make a killing at the end of each month in my local area, by sitting in wait near Camp Pendelton, MCAS Miramar, NAVSTA San Diego, NAS North Island, and the Amphib Base to ticket all those young Sailors and Marines with their spouses, just trying to move their household goods with the car on a dolly
Why would the local police be so harsh!?
It's sad just thinking about how they would feel.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I carry a gun, but I've never used it

Are you telling us you have pulled people over with a MH pulling a towd because you thought the lights or flag might have been a foot short? Then tell us you carry a tape measure for that soul purpose. Sieg Heil
More than just those measurments out there. Measurement at accident scenes. You would be surprised at all the items that are carried by each officer in his or her patrol box. I doubt it would matter, MH, tractor trailer rig.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Al:
Not sure if you have made your decision but if you consider installing the base plate yourself, you should be able to get everything you need for about $1500 with careful shopping to tow 4 down. I set up my system in 2010 for about $1400 using Blue Ox equipment and am somewhat "mechanically declined". You can download the base plate install instructions for your vehicle from Blue Ox to see exactly what is involved - mine just involved bolting it to the frame and some simple removal of trim pieces - all clearly spelled out in the instructions. I had absolutely no problems installing it and it took less than 3 hours. It is also much more convenient than a dolly in my opinion.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

More than just those measurments out there. Measurement at accident scenes. You would be surprised at all the items that are carried by each officer in his or her patrol box. I doubt it would matter, MH, tractor trailer rig.
I know what LEOs carry in their patol box and why. They do vary a bit depending on jusisdictions and and experience of the various departments. My question was how many MHs did you pull over for suspected violation of light or flag misplacement on a towd? Also, did you regularly inspect a MH towing anything for appropreate wiring for trailer brakes or the evidence of a surge brake? Just curious as I've never heard of this ever happening.

Now I understand if you were were a local city officer as opposed to Highway Patrol or State Police, your encounters would have been greatly reduced.

I do know if one was to get into an accident and they were not legal in the jusidiction, they would be in some legal/financial trouble. That's why you don't leave home unsafe. Again just curious based on your reply.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Joe and Annette, only we went with the Blue Ox base plate with the ReadyBrute Elite. Got it all for $1150.00, and it's everything we need to legally and safely tow our Captiva. The tow bar and brakes are all in 1 system, simple hook-up and unhooking, and it works great! When we're not towing, the tow bar is swung sideways and only adds about a foot to the length of our motorhome. The Blue Ox base plate practically disappears when not being used and most people don't even notice it on our car unless we point it out to them.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing