Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Large Jeep Tires

Getting ready to purchase a 1980 Jeep to tow behind my 31 ft Class C. The Jeep is in excellant shape and has off-road tires, slightly larger than stock tires. Does anyone know if the larger tires will cause a problem towing, should this be a concern when purchasing this vehicle as a toad?
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

What kind of Jeep? If it is a CJ-7 with the Dana 300 transfer case you don't want to flat tow it.

Here's why you shouldn't flat tow a dana 300 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #3

Thanks, how do I tell if it is a Dana 300 ?
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #4

Look here. It will give you an idea. I have an 82 with a Dana 300 and a 77 Quadratrac. Neither one is towable as they sit. I have seen kits to put locking hubs on the rear axle in the past but haven't looked into it for a while. That would only work on my 82 but it would beat removing the drive shaft. I don't think the driveshaft in the rear is long enough for a disconnect either.

http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/6453...t-tow-my-jeep/
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As to the question of larger tires, not a problem. I have 33x13.5x15 Toyos on mine.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have many miles towing a jeep with over size tires. No problem.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only possible issue I see is high speed cornoring, and if you are turning a motor home that fast... You will likely not be all that worried about the jeep.. It's going to be the house that rolls over to take a nap.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
1980 was the first year of the Dana 300, it does not lubricate properly and shouldn't be flat towed. The one person in our club that didn't trailer their CJ disconnected the driveshafts at the axles and tied them up, enough of a pain they bought a trailer.

Larger tires don't necessarily mean you can't tow it. My Cherokee has 33" tires on it and tows well. Due to the lift on it I did have to play with the caster angles to strike a happy medium between it and driveshaft angles. But once I got it right it tracks very nicely.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

I got some fat 31s on my Jeep...no issue. 31'' is a nice all around size. Big enough to have some fun and raise it up, but with no issues, and still rides nice.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #10

I run 35s on my JK and had 35s on my CJ7. I had converted my CJ7 Dana 300 to 4:1 gears and at that time I put a full float conversion on the rear axle, with locking hubs, similar to the front. The full float conversion is not cheap, but sure takes the worry out of things.

As I remember, the CJ7 owners manual recommended stopping around 150-200 miles of towing and running the engine for a while to facilitate lubrication.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires