Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #1

Last minute advice on my towed vehicle setup

I am new to RVing and tomorrow we leave for our first trip with my 2014 Wrangler attached to the MH.

My Sterling towbar does work for my setup however since I am not using a tow bracket (instead using tow adapters on my d ring mounts on my bumper). The problem with this is the tow bar's safety cables will not work in this situation. They had the hooks on one end and the little ball thing on the other (which I assume fits somewhere on a tow bracket).

Since I am not using a tow bracket we had to improvise at the last minute. I used bike lock cables with the strongest hooks I could get at Lowes to attach them with.

My question is is will this work you think? I am not sure if I have enough slack in the cables. I realize these are the safety cables and it's unlikely they'll ever get used (lets hope) but I don't want to have problems towing.

Also, my Jeep is about 2" higher than the mh + receiver adapter (Roadmaster' biggest was a 10" but I could use a 12" if they made one). Is this going to be a problem?

Thank you in advance for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4567.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	163364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4565.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	163365  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4566.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	163366  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #2

Cables look like they will be fine. From all I've read your towbar and hitch should be level. If not the angle will put stain on the hitch in ways it wasn't designed for. They have hitches with 2in drop or raise. Good luck 😁
Oh, I see you have that kind of hitch. If the angle isn't straight on, or you use the raised hitch you are using, it's rating, in weight goes down. I'm sure there are threads on here with more info....

Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 AM   #3

I've never liked the looks of the stepped hitches but I've never seen one fail either.
When you can find the time, I would have a dedicated attachment point installed on the bumper in the vicinity of the tow bar attached point. The spot you are using now temporally, will fail and damage radiator mounting in the unlikely event of the tow bar disconnecting.
The angle will be no problems for you, two inches is plenty close enough to level as you need.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

Not sure what the rating is for the snaps..
Generally that style is not as high as the cast hooks or the quick links w the threaded but that connects the 2 sides of the opening.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

Agree--"technically" you have safety cables but who knows what the tensile strength of a bike cable is and am pretty sure the hooks you are using cant be good. As for the connect point on the jeep--not sure what it is or if its good enough....need a direct frame connection in the event bumper/bar fails...
PS--normally, 2" up or down is ok but I don't like having towed vehicle connection above RV any amount--gives towed the ability to "pitch-pole" in an emergency stop or accident.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

I am researching my Tow bar/brake system for my 2016 Jeep Rubicon and I was wondering where to hook my safety cables also. I have an aftermarket bumper as well and will use the D ring pads for the towbar. I think I'm going to do what was recommended by Dtwallace and add a couple of more eye pads on the bumper. Bolt on pads are readily available on the net.

I would get some real safety cables soon. I would hate to see that beautiful Jeep four wheeling by itself!

Have fun!

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Readybrake.com will make you a 12" drop hitch. We have their 10" and it is a quality product.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Thank you all for the helpful info! I think I'll seriously take your recommendations. I'll definitely get some other cables and perhaps get a raise hitch made for 12". I hate that it's not level.

Much appreciated all! Thank you!!!

Tags
advice, tow