Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #127

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excuse my asking the obvious.
With a volt meter:
Check each pin at the front of the Jeep.
Turn on key to position 2
Check left, right, running and ground by attaching one probe of your VOM to ground and the other to each respective pin. Turn on the left blinker, check. Do the same for right and running lights.
All check out?
Now plug in your cord that runs up to the coach. Repeat the process at the MH end of the cord. All check out?
Now pin out the coach. Do you have a 4,5,6 or 7 pin connector? Pin out with a vom the left, right, running and ground at the connector. Lastly, is you cord wired to match the MH connector? It's easy to get things switched around when your are wiring.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #128

I installed my Blue Ox base plate on my 08' Rubicon this last week. It went pretty well, thanks to the extensive information and pics that are in this thread. The one part that I thought would be difficult was easy (cutting the frame sections that stick out past the frame rails) and the part that I thought would be easy was a real bear. It was drilling the two extra holes in the frame rails that are required to mount the mounting plates on the outside face of each frame rail. It may have very well have been my crappy drills though. I actually burned up a 1/2" drill motor (Harbor Freight) in the process. The metal was so hard that it took a significant amount of time to punch the holes.

I had pre-run the Cool Tech harness so it was ready to hook up as soon as the bolts were tightnend on the base plate. I did have one minor screw up when I hooked up the new 4 prong connnector to the wiring from the harness. I thought I was being real careful when inserting the individual wires into each screw terminal in the 4 prong connector. I put it all together and mounted to the tow plate. When I drove the Jeep the next day my son was following me in his own car. When I signalled to make a left turn, the rear tail lights blinked in unison. At first I thought it was the Cool Tech harness that was the problem. But after thinking about it for a while, I went out and pulled apart the 4 prong connector I had put on the base plate. Close inspection showed that ONE strand of one of the wires had missed the screw connector ut was susposed to be in and was touching the screw connector next to it. A quick adjustment to the plug fixed the problem, and all was well.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by SargeW:
... The one part that I thought would be difficult was easy (cutting the frame sections that stick out past the frame rails) and the part that I thought would be easy was a real bear. It was drilling the two extra holes in the frame rails that are required to mount the mounting plates on the outside face of each frame rail. It may have very well have been my crappy drills though. I actually burned up a 1/2" drill motor (Harbor Freight) in the process. The metal was so hard that it took a significant amount of time to punch the holes.

"Crappy" drill bits will make that process much harder than it should be. I suggest a brand new high quality bit for such tasks, such as: http://www.knkut.com/shop/index.php?...n=show_detail&

Believe me, it's $35.00 well spent. My 3/8 drill had no problems cutting though the Jeep frame with that bit.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 AM   #130

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I've learned is to solder the ends of all wires before you insert them into the connector. You'll get a better connection and will last longer. Once you are confident that your wiring is right, you can then solder the wire right in to the connector. Makes repairs a pain but it does make for a solid connection.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 AM   #131

I for 1 Want to THANK BIll ARF For all the Help and time That he has spent here Helping all of us.

THANKS BILL
Walter
Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #132

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here here, a wealth of info to say the least. Thanks Bill. You always make time for everyone.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #133

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Update to brake light / Blinker issue!!

To set the scene, this is my setup.
2005 W24 chassis on our 5376 Dolphin, 07 Jeep Wrangler Toad.
Using a CooltechLLC wiring harness on the jeep. Both use one bulb for both turn and brake lights.
While at rest, engine running or not. If running in park or Drive, no matter, the turn signals work fine on both the jeep and dolphin. The brake lights work fine on both the jeep and dolphin. The brakes and turn signals work fine together.
As soon as I get under way and need to use the brakes and a turn signal, the turn signal will blink about 3 or 4 times while the brakes are applied and then the signal will just go full on. Let go of the brake and the signals start to work. If I come to a stop, turn the signal on while still moving, the same things happens until I come to a full stop, after a few seconds the signals starts again as if nothing happened. If I am stopped for a few minutes at a light, brakes applied, turn on a signal it works fine no matter how long I apply the brakes. Seems speed related and I'm thinking DayTimeRunning lights have something to do with it. I've already replaced the blinker module. Help me please before I go friggin nuts.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #134

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Worth much more than a quarter!

OK, I tried to cut and paste one, so...it's in the mail.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #135
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hello to all here. First off, my apologies that I do not get to this site very often. As others have pointed out, this thread has the best Steward possible (aka BillArf) so I'm sure I am not missed!!

Regarding Rick's problem, sounds like a doozie to diagnose over the web!

Quote:
As soon as I get under way and need to use the brakes and a turn signal, the turn signal will blink about 3 or 4 times while the brakes are applied and then the signal will just go full on.
When this happens, Rick, is the flasher in the MH still flashing? I assume it is solid too?? Also, can you confirm there's no Brake Buddy device in the Jeep? It does sound like that flasher is getting over-loaded.... but this is weird. As you already know, the Cool Tech harness is only lighting the taillights - and not any other bulbs in the Jeep. So, it could be that you have a very "soft" short. I would advise you to check the wiring in the connectors. First, look at the connector that you used to terminate the Cool Tech harness with. (You are looking for the slightest single strand of wire where it shouldn't be.) Then look at the connector on the back of your MH. Disassemble it if you need to and make sure again that all of the wires look good. Let us know what you find!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #136

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did all the checking and re-checking when we got home. I checked for ground potential in the Jeep and through each pin on the cable. I know that we should only have to lift the one big white fuse on the Jeep but I wonder know if I should also remove M37 fuse for the Stop Light Switch as well. Seems that when the MH and Jeep are coming to a stop is when the signal stops. Once at rest they work again. I'm using a ReadyBrake system. No boxes or electrical connections. No false braking. I am going to go out and remove the big white fuse, turn the ignition to the 1st position and see if the brake lights come on when I press the pedal.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376:
Update to brake light / Blinker issue!!

To set the scene, this is my setup.
2005 W24 chassis on our 5376 Dolphin, 07 Jeep Wrangler Toad.
Using a CooltechLLC wiring harness on the jeep. Both use one bulb for both turn and brake lights.
While at rest, engine running or not. If running in park or Drive, no matter, the turn signals work fine on both the jeep and dolphin. The brake lights work fine on both the jeep and dolphin. The brakes and turn signals work fine together.
As soon as I get under way and need to use the brakes and a turn signal, the turn signal will blink about 3 or 4 times while the brakes are applied and then the signal will just go full on. Let go of the brake and the signals start to work. If I come to a stop, turn the signal on while still moving, the same things happens until I come to a full stop, after a few seconds the signals starts again as if nothing happened. If I am stopped for a few minutes at a light, brakes applied, turn on a signal it works fine no matter how long I apply the brakes. Seems speed related and I'm thinking DayTimeRunning lights have something to do with it. I've already replaced the blinker module. Help me please before I go friggin nuts.
I think your problem may be that when your aux braking system presses on the brake pedal in the Jeep, the Jeep is lighting it's own brake lights and swamping out the turn signal. To prove it to yourself, reach under the dash of the Jeep and unplug the brake light switch wire. If the problem goes away, that it the issue. I installed a relay on my jeep to prevent a similar problem with my SMI system.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #138

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm headed there as well. I'm just surprised that no one else has had this problem. Could be that most use a Brake Buddy in stead of the ready brake system. Brake buddy seems to be an On Off system where as the ready brake is proportional. I'm thinking that my ready brake uses the Jeeps brakes to assist more often than the brake buddy system would and therefore you would not notice this as much as I have.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #139

Rick. Why don't you disconnect the braks system completly and go for a test drive. If the lights work ok then you will know it is in the beake system...john
Old 04-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #140

I have just encountered a similar situation as Rick. I hooked up the Jeep to the MH, using the same cord that I have used on my previous Jeep for the past 2 years. The main difference being that the 01' Wrangler had the extra bulbs put into the tail lights from Blue Ox. It worked seamlessly.

I haven't had the opportunity to tow yet, so I hooked up in the driveway to test Rick's problem. What I found was that all signals on the MH and the Jeep work together. When the DW stepped on the brakes in the Jeep to simulate the brake light coming on when the Jeep brake pedal would be depressed during braking, the brake lights over rode the turn signal. The turn signal on the MH would continue to blink as normal, but the Jeep turn signal would stop. When she let off the brake the Jeep turn signal would start to flash again.

I believe "off the wall" has it nailed. The Cool Tech harness is not equipped to handle the feed back of the Jeep brake lights, and therefore overrides the signal from the MH turn signal. No unusual conditions were noted in the MH when this was occurring. In other words, the Jeep was not interfereing with the regular operating conditions of the MH. This would also explain why this condition has not been noted before. Unless someone was following me telling me that the Jeep's turn signals were being over ridden I would have never known it.

I will call Cool Tech tomorrow and present this problem.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
Closed Thread