Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #15

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
This is great info thanks.Now to order that wire harness

2002 PREVOST XL 45 / 2006 HUMMER 3
2006 THOR HURRICANE /2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 door

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #16

Hi Bill,

All of this info is great. Still new to the site and have posted a couple of questions with excellent results (one recently about an '01 Jeep I ended up not buying). I notice that you have an '04 Wrangler as well as your '07. I just purchased an '04 wrangler manual trans and have never had a toad before. From all of the info I have read, it sounds like the way to go is an SMI silent partner brake system, Blue ox BX1120 plate, and an Aventa LX tow bar. I want to get set up right the first time and believe this to be the case with the above equipment. Does that sound about right? Also, is there options available for the wiring of the lights on the Jeep such as with the '07, or do I need to get the bulb and socket wiring kit to make this all work? Hope this all makes sense and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BillArf,

I just returned from a great trip to Tahoe (pre-fire) towing our 07 4x4 Unlimited Sahara and have a few questions. First, it does not seem like my steering wheel has a lock position - I have tried but it never seems to lock. Am I missing something? Also, I have the CoolTech wiring harness and found that my SMI wireless brake feeds back to the coach - when I step on the Jeep brake I see the coach brake lights go on. I put 3 diodes just behind the front bumper wiring on 3 wires but not the ground to stop this. Seems unusual that I would need to do this with the CoolTech - have you ever heard of that? Regarding pulling the fuse, is it correct you have to pull it up pretty far (nearly off) for the no fuse light to come on? I doubt I really need to do this since I also run a toad charge line to the center pin of the tow cable. And finally, what position should the key be in...hard to tell how many clicks. I seem to have to go to the click right before the starter engage position in order to see the no fuse and then a few other dash lights are on. If I go back one click these lights are off. Jeep towed great, lights worked, and brake worked. Just a few issues I wanted to ask you about. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I did the baseplate install a couple of weeks ago, then towed for the first time this past weekend for a couple hundred miles (Bay Area to Reno). Wow. What a difference between this setup and the a-frame. It is awesome.

The baseplate install was much more simple than I thought. I did the whole install at the RV park I was at, other than the cutting. I went outside the park and used my cordless sawsall(-like) saw. I did the whole install in about an hour and a half (or so).

There are a couple of install pics on this page - Jeep Album if you are interested. I haven't uploaded the new pics of the entire setup - Aventa LX towbar, Blue Ox baseplate, new coiled cable for lights, new safety cables, Cool Tech LLC harness, Brake Buddy. It all works together harmoniously.

Thanks again for this thread Bill. I am so glad to be done with the a-frame

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
.... By the way, for those viewing the pic above that shows the Cool Tech wiring harness coming out of the grill and crossing over the bumper do know that Kev chose to have the wiring harness routed this way. The harness can also be routed from the underside of the vehicle so it is not at all visible. Personal choice of the installer...
True. That was just after I finished up the install on the baseplate, but before I mounted the plug adapter. I now have the plug connected to the baseplate and the wiring is not visible.

On Edit: here is a pic of the final installation - plug installed and all.

--kev

Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Base Plate on Back order. A lot of 07 wranglers getting towed.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #21

I am just finishing up getting my new Sahara 4 door ready to tow with the Blue Ox base plate and the Cool Tech wiring.. Thanks a lot Bill for your help and threads. But..I do have a problem with my Cool Tech wiring harness, after following the simple plug in direction, I ran the 4 wire harness to the front of the Jeep but, before I installed my connector, I tested each wire to make sure all the lights worked. All but the right turn (green wire) works. I have reinspected the plugs at the rear, everything appears to be in order. I also tested to see if any current was reaching any of the pins at the rear plugs, and had nothing. Does anyone have any sugestions??
Thanks

Tim
Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #22

My connector at the splice was not making contact. I removed it, installed another connector and it works great

Thanks BillArf and Kendall @ Cool Tech, for all your help!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #23

Thanks Bill for the suggestions

Spent this sunday installing the cooltech wiring and the blue ox baseplate on the jk.

I'm planning on also installing the us gear tow system. The winnebago is an 08, and apparently it has been prewired for us gear.

How would you suggest I connect the rv to the jk wiring wise?

I've got a 7 pin plug on the rv, 4 wires from the cooltech harness (snaked up the frame).

I see a plug for a single wire, assuming that's the us gear wiring plug, hanging near the rear hitch.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
How long did it take to install the base plate. Looks like a nice install from the pictures and instructions. I have the cooltec wiring to install also.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UPS 34:
How long did it take to install the base plate. Looks like a nice install from the pictures and instructions. I have the cooltec wiring to install also.
Give yourself 3-4 hours total to do the baseplate and Cool Tech harness install. Remember to have a reciprocating saw (Sawzall)and some extra fine tooth blades for same.

Helps to have a second set of hands when you remove and then reinstall the bumper. You only need the second set of hands for say 10 mins.. 8-) A young teen or gal could assist as the weight to lift is not much.

As I have mentioned before, the baseplate install and Cool Tech install is quite straight forward and easy for someone somewhat familar with hand tools. Hmmmm, I've done 3 of thse installs thus far. Each one got easier.. ho, ho,ho.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with Bill's statement. It is a very straight-forward install. I did mine in a campground, however I did drive outside to do the cutting. Didn't want to disrupt everyone in the park with my Sawzall

Here are a few pics from my install - http://www.chillaxnet.com/gallery2/m...ech/?g2_page=2 Starts on the last pic of the second row where I show the bumper removed. It would have been nice to have an extra set of hands, but I did this install solo.

Good luck -

kev

Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering how much time I was looking at. I have all the tools to make the job simple. I was a Mechanic so should be no problem. Wife is a great second hand to help.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 AM   #27

I always stage my 07 Wrangler 4 door as instructed in the manual, but after a tow of any distance, I smell hot oil and the engine outline yellow warning signal is on...I double ck to stage the jeep as required, but always the hot oil smell..am I the only one with this problem, also at times the front wheels lock when first starting out, key is in first positon
Old 08-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone installed a us gear brake system on the Jeep. Will the cyl. fit under the seat

Closed Thread