Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:15 AM   #29

To Bill Arf,
Thanks for your comprehensive info on the JK tow essentials. Since I have an '07 JK 2DR w/autotrans and am considering towing it I find your material very useful. But, I have a question. Since I currently tow an '06 Liberty and have been using the US Gear Unified Brake System with it, the understanding that I have is that this system keeps the battery charged with the key on in the #1 position. Did use the new tailight bulb arrangement. 10,000 miles of towing on the Liberty (15,000 more on an '03 Liberty previously) and no dead batteries yet.
To your knowledge, am I correct that this system
keeps the current on while towing? Never pulled a fuse or disconnected anything. I am aware that Chrysler made a corporate change of ignition systems which accounts for the difference between '06 and '07.
We use Aventa II and Blue Ox baseplate for the Liberty.
Any input appreciated before I set up the '07 JK.
Dealer is no help. BTW, I took out the back seat because with the new "Freedom Top" it is impossible to enter the back and use the seat even for our Jack Russell!
Thanks, again
Roscat

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by UPS 34:
Has anyone installed a us gear brake system on the Jeep. Will the cyl. fit under the seat
UPS 34--Yes, the cylinder will fit under the driver's seat.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
Roscat ..... I'm not familiar with hardware such as the US Gear Unified Brake System or at that matter it or other such systems. From what you say, you are sending 12v power from your RV to your toad which is what supposedly keeping the toad charge up. (or is it just powering the brake system) Regardless, where the 12v power is coming from, be it your RV, your toad battery or a combination of the two you still must understand that your toad itself even without a brake system is using 12v power unless you disengage the IOD fuse as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Will this 12v usage cause you to have a partially depleted or dead battery when you arrive at your destination depends on different factors especially the number of days the toad is towed on your trip. Personally, I think it wise to disengage the IOD fuse as mentioned earlier. This only takes a few seconds to do and will stop most of the unnecessary battery depletion. Sure, many don't bother to disengage the IOD fuse and have no problems. Regardless, the battery is being depleted/stressed unnecessarily if you do not disengage the IOD fuse or disconnect the toads battery.. As for me I disengage the IOD fuse. It is so simple to do...
Bill Arf--I understand your point about the IOD fuse, but if I am feeding 12V to the Toad would it not be keeping its battery charged?

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #32

hi bill,
i have the cool tech wiring harness. please advise what color wire for left,right,brake etc.
brown=
yellow=
red=
green=
braindead jay
Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #33

hi bill,
thank you for your help. all turning and braking signals are working. the running lights are not working. we checked the power with a meter from the mh and power is coming to the plug. we follower the power to the rear left turn connection and there also is power. do you need to connect the yellow to yellow/white with the blue plug? please advise if there is something i'm missing? i have a 2005 fleetwood providence. one last question according to your easy to follow tow instruction you advise manual tran. to be in 5th gear why not in neutral when being towed?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #34

My wife and I just bought a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited to pull behind our DP. I read about the CoolTech wiring harness. There is a MOPAR part also, but (of course) it is a little pricey. I asked the seller and he said it ran from the 7 pin plug on the MH to the back of the dashboard. You disconnect a connector, insert the new one, and replace the original connector into the back of the new one. How (and where) does the Cool Tech version connect to the jeep (and MH).

thanks
Mike and Joanne Patrick
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 AM   #35

Thanks, Bill. Of course this raises another question from the novice. It looks like you have to run all the way back to the left rear taillight assembly. This is instead of connecting to the back of the dash in the MOPAR wiring harness.

However, when I read the Cool Tech PDF, it talks about connecting to the original equipment towing wiring harness in the Jeep. Our Jeep did not come with the towing package, but I intend to add a receiver and a wiring harness that MOPAR makes (unless you can tell me of an equivalent source for less money). So I guess the Cool Tech harness would require me to add the rear tow (on the Jeep) harness first.

Secondly, neither the CoolTech nor the MOPAR RV wiring harness mention the use of diodes to protect the tow vehicle. I had read that this protects the towing vehicle from electrical malfunctions in the towed vehicle.

I really appreciate everyones help and experience.

thanks
Mike in TX
Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #36

I've decided to go with the Cool Tech Harness. However, I may not use the wire from the front of the Jeep to the MH. I am thinking about using a coiled cable if I can combine the functions of the lighting and installation for a US Gear supplemental braking system that I've bought. Trying to reduce the number of connections between the two vehicles.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #37

I have a US Gear towing system on my 2004 Tropical and Wrangler. I bought a cooltech wiring harness for my 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited. I had all of this installed by a mechanic. I just got back from an RV trip and had lots of problems. First of all, the battery was dead every day after as little as 4 or 5 hours of towing. I had to buy a battery charger to charge my battery every day that I wanted to use the Jeep. I left the key in the ACC position as recommended in the manual but I did not disconnect the battery. I specifically purchased the US Gear system so that it would charge my battery while towing.

When towing at night, the motorhome lights worked great but the rear lights of the Wrangler did not illuminate at all. So I had to turn on the parking lights - when I did that, only the left parking lights (front and back) illuminated.

I took the Jeep to the dealer to rule out any issues, since they had installed an alarm on the Jeep and I wanted to make sure that wasn't part of the power draw. They said everything looked fine on their end. That indicates I am having problems with the wiring harness or the US Gear system - or both.

I would appreciate any advice on where to go from here. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #38

All systems were professionally installed by a qualified mechanic who I paid to install them. He followed all instructions that came with the systems, including the Cooltech harness instructions. I think the US Gear system is powered by the motorhome.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #39

Maybe it's a problem with my motorhome or Jeep then. That's certainly a possibility. We've just stopped towing the Jeep with the RV and if we really need it, we just drive it separately.

Thanks for trying.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #40

On a pre 07 Wrangler do you need the extra lights in the tail lights??? or can you set up yhe same as 07???
Thanx Rick
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I installed thr Blue Ox Base Plate today. Took 3 Hours taking my time and no help at all. Could use a extra pair of hands for 10 min. when you first put the plate up to bolt on. Nice clean job. Now for the cool tech harness.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Installed the cool tech harness today. I could not get the fish wire to go in the frame. Worked on it longer then it took me to run the wire on the outside. It is still a nice clean install. I ran the wire and secured it to the brake lines. Now to see if it works?

Closed Thread