Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 4 door. Maybe that is the problem getting the wire in the frame
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #44

I recently installed mine and I wish I saw your pose with the confidence of the ease of putting it in the rail. I may redo it someday, but for now, it is great. Just did my first test ride today around the neighborhood and rig mounted great, lights and harness worked as advertised, all is good. Now for the braking system.....

2004 BigFoot 29SL
Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Pulling the IOD fuse really is a must - takes all of 10 seconds. I towed from Phoenix to San Diego - Jeep arrrived safe and sound and battery was as dead as a door-nail. The dreaded click-click is all I got as I turned the key. MyGiG was working though - that's helpful. Note: I did have myGiG off for the entire trip. I had ALL the accessories off, and it still went dead.

Towing home I pulled the fuse and when I got home, Jeep started right up with no clicking - after pushing the fuse back down again of course.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #46

Does anyone reinstall the bellypan after installing the base plate? Thanks Tom
Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #47

Does anyone notice a strong burnt rubber oder in the JK when they get back in?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #48

Yes, I posted this a couple of months ago, smells like hot oil or elec, I follow all of the rules in setting up the tow...but have this odor in the jeep after about two hundred miles..I double chk everything, glad to finally see I am not crazy..the problem is there, sometimes by little engine problem light comes on,but after a day or so goes away...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #49

setting up right but did not pull the fuse deal, the little engine outline light comes on after a 200 to 300 mile tow, but goes off in a day..have been to the dealer a few times, they see nothing wrong...so living with it..just to be safe I have been starting and running the engine and trans for about 10 minutes at times...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #50

Yep, mine smells like hot oil...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #51

I am towing a 2007 Wrangler and have similar problems with smell. The smell is a 'hot rubber' smell but only occurs when I drive the Jeep after towing. No smell while it is being towed. It comes from the front and there are no hot brakes, tires, belts or wires that I can find. I have towed it about 2500 miles total on two trips. It is a mystery that I have yet to solve!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 AM   #52

This burnt oil/rubber smell has been discussed several times on several rv websites. I'm on my 5th Jeep product towing and all have had the same issue. It is from road grime (rubber/oil) that is kicked up during towing. It will be strong at startup and burn off over the first 10-15 minutes. All toads get a certain amount of it, but I think the grills on Jeeps allow a little more than some other vehicles. My Chevy truck get a little of it, but nothing like the Jeeps.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #53

This road grime explanation sounds resonable. It goes right way after start up. It must burn right off. I can live with this.

Another note: As far as the wiring harness goes. I did nothing like has been recommended here. I took a regular 6 to 4 pin harness,6 at the coach 4 at the Jeep. I ran it all the way down the Jeep and plugged it into the 4 pin female that came on the Jeep. Since electricity is not directional, the coach works the Jeep lights and the Jeep works the coach lights. When I need to tow a 4 pin trailer with the Jeep, I just unplug it.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #54

I am currently pulling a "92 Jeep Wrangler behind my motorhome with a Roadmaster hitch, which is practically new. Does anyone pull an "07 with this hitch? How about mounting the baseplate? Any problems?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #55

BillArf,

It sounds like KjnMartini is running his wiring harness to the back of the jeep and plugging into the plug that you use for lights on a trailer when you hook up a trailer behind the jeep.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by digNbubbs:
I haven't uploaded the new pics of the entire setup - Aventa LX towbar, Blue Ox baseplate, new coiled cable for lights, new safety cables, Cool Tech LLC harness, Brake Buddy. It all works together harmoniously.

--kev
kev,

How are you powering the Brake Buddy? Is it running off the Jeep battery as you are towing or do you have some sort of power line or toad charger setup going? This is the one area not mentioned in this thread. Thanks.
Closed Thread