Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #71

Ordering the Cool Tech harness today.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
I was haveing problems when towing my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sarahara 4 dr. I put the transfer case in neutral, tranny in park and the ignition switch in ACC. I twisted the steering wheel a bit to insure (so I thought) that the steering wheel was not locked. When i started the MH and began the trip, on ocassion I noticed the MH steering wheel cocked at an unusual angle as I was on a straightaway on the freeway. I pulled over when safe to do so only to discover a burning rubber smell. I discovered that the ignition switch, which was in the ACC position had not kept the steering wheel unlocked. I talked to the servive rep at the Jeep dealer and when I brought it in for the normal service interval they also replaced the ignition switch. The service rep told me that the replacement ignition switch was a 2008 model and did not have a lock position for the steerin wheel.

2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #73

Has anyone installed the Roadmaster XL base plates on an 07/08 Wrangler and if so, how difficult was the installation...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #74

Thanks Bill..The reason I asked is that I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar and I am thinking of trading my Liberty for a Wrangler 4dr...It looks like from their web site that Blue Ox does make an adapter for the Falcon 2 to Blue Ox base plate.....I'll give them a call...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the blue ox tow bar mounted on my 07 Wrangler Saraha. I will be purchasing a Brake buddy prior to starting the touring season. I have seen the install pictures showing the blue ox base plate. My question concerns the breakaway switch. In the pictures it looks as if the switch is mounted in some sort of sleeve or bracket. Does the sleeve/mounting bracket come with the Brake Buddy? If not where would one get the bracket? What does the bracket mount to on the bumper?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #76

The bracket comes with the Brake Buddy breakaway kit...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #77

Bill...Just to clarify...For those of us with Roadmaster towbars...I called Roadmaster and their XL bracket # 1429-1 will fit all 07/08 Wranglers with or without electric front swaybar..Model # 1428-1 will only fit models without the electric swaybay...Don't know why they make the 1428-1 unless it is less expensive...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
BillArf,
I am wondering if attaching the breakaway switch to the plate on the Jeep is a good idea. My understanding is that if the plate seperates from the toad, the switch should be independant of the plate to allow the toad breakes to activate. With the Blue Ox plate I seriously doubt the plate would seperate or fall off the toad and that the major concern would be the tow bar itself, however why take a chance?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
The service rep told me that the replacement ignition switch was a 2008 model and did not have a lock position for the steering wheel.
Well, as of TODAY, I have been in contact with 23 other '08 Wrangler owners and they all say they have a steering wheel lock!!

You might want to go double check and not take that service reps word for it. UNLESS some '08' Wranglers are leaving the factory without a steering wheel lock? Try turning your steering wheel more then 1/2 turn with no key in the ignition.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that 24. I have read that online on several forums but upon checking my 08 Wrangler Unlimited, auto trans DOES have a locking steering wheel. It was built in 12/07.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #80

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

This question is off the subject and may not be correct for this thread BUT here goes. I now tow a 99 jeep wrangler, roadmaster sterling all terrain, m&g braking sytem including break away system. I'm now interested in buying an 08 4dr jeep sahara std xmission with tow package 2 questions:
1) what would one expect to pay for the sahara less taxes and license fee?
2) what if any exchange value for the old m&g and cost for the m&g setup on the new sahara with the breakaway?
I appreciate your response>
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just installed the Blue Ox Baseplate and Cool Tech wiring harness today on an 08 Wrangler Unlimited. Took about three hours. Went fairly smoothly. The toughest part was removing the eight factory bolts that hold the front bumper on. Man those things are on tight! Will be installing the SMI brake system when it arrives from RV Upgrades. I'll post pictures and experiences when it's all in.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #82
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Would be nice to have install info on the SMI brake system posted here.
By clicking on the SMI sponsor banner at the top of the page one can access SMI's product information which includes an installation diagram.
Ask and you shall receive....
Old 02-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
Would be nice to have install info on the SMI brake system posted here.

In regard to any brand baseplate install on the Wrangler...do have a breaker bar on hand for use when loosening various bolts. Very easy to loosen the bolts when you use the leverage obtained with a decent breaker bar.
Will post installation experience with the SMI kit when complete. It looks straight forward. The only thing I'm still undecided on is where to put the control unit inside the jeep. Until I get the part in my hand, it's hard to tell where it will fit best.

BTW I did have a breaker bar for those bumper bolts. There is just very limited work space and the nuts are the type that are tight until all the way off.

Some pics of the finished baseplate/wiring install.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #84

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I cannot install the Roadmaster 1429-1 on my 2008 Sahara...
I took off the rock guard as required and started to do the other work elongating the holes on the frame and the holes (side to side) seemed to be misaligned. I tried to run the 5" bolt thru and it would not align plus interference with the frame. Anyone else experience this problem? I'll call roadmaster on Monday and try to get the 1428-1 (I originally ordered, but they sent the 1429-1 as interchangable) or help in resolving my issue

Closed Thread