Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #113

Get yourself a test light...clip the test light to a good ground on your mh..with your cord connected put on your mh left directional...then with the probe end of the test light, touch each connector on the cord until it flashes..That wire will be the left side directional and brake light...Do the same with the right directional...Then turn on your headlights and do the same...that wire is your running lights...The 4th wire is ground...

The standard for 4 wire round or flat is:
green...right dir and brake
yellow..left dir and brake
brown...running lights
white...ground

Cool tech uses red for ground...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #114

I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara which I plan to flat-tow with my motorhome. Following the excellent advice given, I disconnected the IOD fuse. Towing went fine, but after I stopped for overnight, my Jeep battery was completely dead. I left my EvenBrake (required by my state of CA) plugged into the 12v receiver as I had been doing with my 2005 Wrangler. Am I going to have to remember to disconnect the EvenBrake or is there some other reason why my battery went dead?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #115

Bill in your pic with the dash and "No Fuse"in LED!! Is the Key in towing positin re 'ACC' which is one klick up or is it in 'On' or 2 Klicks up???? Which is 'NOT' towing position.

That's where my No Fuse LED's are visible!!

Thanks Rick

Rick
Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #116

Bill Yes You do see it when running 'BUT' whem towing you are one Klick back and "Blank screen"

Rick
Old 03-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #117
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Vince L, welcome to iRV2.

There is an abundance of Jeep towing information here, and our members will be able to help you.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #118

Thanks, Bill. I will try disconnecting auxiliar brake from the 12v when I stop for the night. However, since the brake also runs off the Jeep battery when I'm moving, isn't this going to deplete the battery by the end of the day?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
snip:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince L:
since the brake also runs off the Jeep battery when I'm moving, isn't this going to deplete the battery by the end of the day?
Indeed it might. Again, many here are using auxiliary braking plugged in to the 12v receptacle on their '07 and '08 Wranglers and they do not have dead battery issues. Probably depends on the brand of auxiliary brake, etc. etc. Again, easy fix if there are issues is to run a 12v line from the RV to the Wrangler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't actually done a real day of towing with my SMI unit so I don't know if I will have battery problems. But I have been thinking about it and will install a "Toad Charge" with a 12v feed from the RV if it becomes an issue.

I'm not sure if you were suggesting running the aux brake system directly off the RV. That would be a mistake for the break-away function would have no power should the toad pull away from the RV. What one needs is a system that keeps the battery of the toad charged while the aux braking system runs off the toad's battery.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #120

Bill I believe we are saying the same thing, but differently. I am saying 'Blank screen' and you're saying "dark screen" and we're both referring to the same thing.

I do have the key one position forward and the steering is definitely unlocked.

Your info about the IOD fuse and having to pull on it fairly forcefully is absolutely correct as I was only pulling up on it lightly and it was sometimes re-connecting.

I think we're on the same page. Your knowledge and patience is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by BillArf:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by offthewall:

I'm not sure if you were suggesting running the aux brake system directly off the RV. That would be a mistake for the break-away function would have no power should the toad pull away from the RV. What one needs is a system that keeps the battery of the toad charged while the aux braking system runs off the toad's battery.
No, I was not suggesting anything in particular. I went into no detail. Just said get 12v power from the RV to the toad..... But, a "Toad Charge" (there are others) or similar adjunct as you state would be be the way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just trying to clarify the situation for others. I have seen reference elsewhere where others were running their aux brake system off the RV and thought it through for myself and realized that it's a bad idea.

This thread is becoming a huge resource. Great stuff.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #122

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Bill could you give me a little advise? Maybe it's nothing but here's what happening. Towing the 07 Wrangler with our 05 Dolphin on a Workhorse w24. Blinkers work fine with or without toad. Brake lights work fine with or with out toad but,,,,if we are towing and use the turn signals while coming to a stop (brake lights on), the signals work for about 3-4 seconds after applying the brakes and then go straight on, no blink. Let the brake off and the blinkers return to normal operation. Both left and right signals behave the same way. We are using a CoolTechLLC harness on the jeep, factory wiring on the coach. Both work fine independently, both work fine together until you apply brakes, then the blinkers light stays on. Let go of the brake, blinker back to normal. I bought a new blinker module for the W24 and will see what happens on the way home. Any thoughts or suggestions?
PS, I did tap the White/Yellow on the Jeep harness so that I didn't have to plug and unplug the Cooltech harness when I tow a little trailer behind the Jeep. What does this White/Yellow wire do?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #123

Rick,,, I realize you are asking Bill this question, and by all means he will know exatly the problem. He is the true expert on this subject. But until he gets back to you , i had the same problem a while back, and my problem was cured when I changed flasher to a heavy duty one. They just plug into the fuse panel.....John
Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #124

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for that. I bought a new one and installed it already. Although it looks like the old one, the package for the new one did say that it was good for trailer towing. I'm wondering why on earth Workhorse would of placed one that wasn't rated for additional lighting. I could of been that the old one was just getting weak. I'll report our findings on Monday when we head north. Thanks for getting back to me. It really bugs me when things like this happen. I'm thinking we've solved it.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #125

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Bill. I'm hoping it solves the issue. As noted, I did splice the yellow/white with the supplied wire tap.
Cheers
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just hooked up the cooltech harness to my 2008 Wrangler (with the tow package). I spiced into the extra wire per the instructions. Everything works except the right tail light on the jeep. Before I disconnect the splice and try that, any ideas? THANKS!