Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #1

how difficult is it to launch a 23 foot boat with a class C? No camera just mirrors. I think with the boat on the trailer i will be OK but am worried i wont be able to see the trailer with boat off. What do the rest of you do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #2

how difficult is it to launch a 23 foot boat with a class C? No camera just mirrors. I think with the boat on the trailer i will be OK but am worried i wont be able to see the trailer with boat off. What do the rest of you do?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I'd put a hitch on the front.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #4

I had a truck set up like that once and had thought of doing that. I figured you could also mount a cooler rack on the reciever. Scott.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #5

I had a "Front hitch" (Reciver) mounted on my Class "C". just drivr up to Boat ramp at a 90 degree angle, unhook from rear, turn MH arount hook up to front drive it down the ramp.

Advantage, you can see everything, and your rear wheels stay high and dry.

As soon as I bought my 2003 class "A" I had a "Hitch Shop" mount a front hitch on my calss "A". Just used it last week, I pull a 17 ft Pontoon Boat.

Bruce
Old 07-28-2005, 06:48 PM   #6

.....disadvantage is loosing traction on launch ramp and many owners will not let you tie up their ramp doing same....Brown Algae is very slippery in late summer when wet and you are not going to have the weight transfer for pulling out your boat. I used to own a launch ramp and would not permit front launches during any rush time....the risk of loosing launch space was considerable and when we did loose a boat/car or truck /boat we pulled out both with 2 Military M-35A2's chained together to clear the ramp....retreaving cost was $250.00......payable before car/boat was removed from property [in cash!] I learned not to except insurance....insurance co's want a discount.....geofkaye
Old 07-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #7

I have a private ramp at our marina and it is crushed stone. At the right tide it is a level launch. Problem is narrow drive to get to it and no turn around.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 AM   #8

I have launched my boat (20 ft ski boat) several times with my Class A.

It is not a problem whatsoever. With the long overhang on the Class A, the rear tires never even get close to the water. I do have boat guide-on poles at the rear of the trailer that assist with seeing the trailer when loaded or empty.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I used to launch my 18' bost with my 31' Minnie Winnie and didn't have a problem. One thing I did was put PVC pipe extensions on the trailer as wide as the rig. I also had running boards on the coach where I could stand out there if needed and watch the whole thing. Never had a problem plus due to the length of rig the boat went straight when backed up. It was good. Retreiving wasn't a problem either. Remember to disconect trailer lights so they don't pop bulbs. Enjoy and Life is good.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been launching a 22' Sea Ray (4500 lbs) with a 27' Fleetwood Jamboree Class "C" since 1991. I never had a problem. When you launch the boat check how far the fenders are to underwater when the boat starts to float. When you retrieve it, back the trailer down to the same point. (You have to check the level each time because different ramps have different angles.)

I've always been able to see the boat fenders in my mirrors. Due to the overhang on the motor home, you don't usually have to back the rear wheels as close to the water as you do with a truck. When pulling the boat out use low gear. If you start to lose traction, use second gear. Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #11

I will have the hitch on this weekend. This is a twice a year issue as I leave the boat in the water for the summer. I will let you all know how I make out. Scotty.