Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Laws on towing a motorcycle trailer?

Let me introduce that I've never owned a trailer, or have towed a trailer.
I'm looking to get a motorcycle trailer to tow behind my 26' class A. Just enough to haul my little 350cc scrambler, and a scooter for my wife. I'm not sure what all I need to know to make this happen safely and legally.
Most of what Dr Google tells me is for boat trailers, and I'm not sure if different types of trailers carry different laws.
I'm in Oregon, and it sounds like as long as I'm compliant with the laws of my state I'll be fine in all other states except Colorado, Georgia, and Delaware.
Anybody willing to steer me in the right direction?
Thanks kids!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check with the Oregon DOT. Their rules will mostly be honored in any of the other states you travel through. The exception might be break-a-way brakes or a braking system at all. For your safety and the safety of others on the road, having brakes and a break-a-way braking system is peace of mind. I'd look for surge disc brakes, if possible, they work, no dash controller or adjustment of the brakes needed.

For a small flatbed trailer, the weight might be so little as no brakes needed, for an enclosed trailer it might need brakes, according to trailer's loaded weight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremson View Post
Let me introduce that I've never owned a trailer, or have towed a trailer.
I'm looking to get a motorcycle trailer to tow behind my 26' class A. Just enough to haul my little 350cc scrambler, and a scooter for my wife. I'm not sure what all I need to know to make this happen safely and legally.
Most of what Dr Google tells me is for boat trailers, and I'm not sure if different types of trailers carry different laws.
I'm in Oregon, and it sounds like as long as I'm compliant with the laws of my state I'll be fine in all other states except Colorado, Georgia, and Delaware.
Anybody willing to steer me in the right direction?
Thanks kids!

Well Sir,
First off, towing a motorcycle trailer that's capable of the cycles you plan on, will be so small, that you'll never know it's even there. And, I've seen a few thousand motorcycle trailers in my life and not one of them ever had any brakes on them, primarily because they're most likely WAY under the weight requirements for brakes on a trailer. It's been a long time since I looked up any rules for brakes and weight of a trailer. If I recall, I think for CA it used to be around 1,500 lbs, and beyond that required brakes but, don't quote me on that, better look that up in your states Department of Motor Vehicle Rules or, some other high faction that will have all the info you'll need.
It's a pretty simple deal here. The lights ARE required (running, brake, turn, side marker etc. But, I'd just about bet my house that on a small M/C trailer like what you're thinking of, there will be no requirements for them. As for weight limits, that's determined by the axle/spring set. If you look up M/C trailers in Trailer suppliers, you'll most likely find lighter weight capability axles, like maybe in the neighborhood of 1,200 lb. axle or maybe even a 1,500 lb. axle.

What I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND is, make DARN SURE you get larger tires and wheels with your trailer. Do not, REPEAT DO NOT, allow some trailer salesman tot talk you into a trailer with 8" wheels. I don't care what they're rated at in speed or weight carrying capability, they're TINY tires and wheels. Think about what kind of revolutions those will be turning at 60-70 mph, YEOW

Get no less than 13" wheels and preferably 14". Way less revolutions per mile and therefore, way EASIER on those trailer wheel bearings. Oh, and do get a spare tire and wheel for your M/C trailer.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #4

Thanks so much. Sounds like I won't have to much trouble with any restrictions.
I'm most likely going to be getting a used trailer off Craigslist. There's quite a few here between $300-500.
Excellent point on the wheel size. I've been pretty turned off by trailers with such tiny wheels, you definitely put it into words why I should be.
It seems that trailers don't have to be titled and registered in Oregon, but do all trailers come with a title? I assume that means they have a VIN somewhere?
Any tips for inspecting a used trailer to see if it's any good? Anything I should specifically be aware of? What should I be sure is there, and what should I be sure to avoid?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #5

I tow a 2004 Harley Davidson maybe 700 lbs behind our ACE 30.1 and it is like there is nothing back there. I can't find it now but there is a web site that gave all the towing regulations for all 50 states. I put together a Harbor Freight 4' X 8' trailer, I think it is about 1700 lbs gross weight so well under that. Actual weight is probably around 1100 or so lbs, that includes a spare tire and wooden sides I built for it. IIRC there were only one or two states that required brakes if under 1500 lbs. and they were states I don't plan to visit or travel through.
The wheels are 12" and only rated for 55 mph so I keep things at 60 mph. Whatever you get for a trailer I suggest you pull the wheels and hubs off and check and re-pack the wheel bearings. This seems to be the weak point on these small trailers, instructions warned to check and pack the bearings before assembly. I am guessing but I have a feeling a lot of people don't do this and theirin lies a big problem. My bearings probably wouldn't have lasted 100 miles if I hadn't followed instructions. There was some metal chips in them and not enough grease to do anything. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alright - thought a great deal about this. Get 50' of 1" rope, wrap it securely around the front forks, get a pair of decent goggles, get a really good whistle and then start towing 2 down. When you need a break just blow hard on the whistle!! We did this once but got pulled over. The police thought i was blowing the whistle and trying to pass!

I am sorry - but I just couldn't resist. Again apologies but I just thought we all could use a smile.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

I have a Aluma motorcycle trailer and I have my smart car set up to tow it, the trailer is rated for 3000 lbs, and there are no brakes on it, and it is the trailer built according to the industry standard for california.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Here (in part) is what California DOT states regarding brakes.

"In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good; however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs."

With a small trailer carrying 2 smallish bikes you will have no problem. I would guess that both the bike and the scooter together weigh about 600 pounds so you would need a trailer that weighed less than 900 pounds. As a general rule, a typical flat bed trailer is about 100 lbs per linear foot.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremson View Post
Thanks so much. Sounds like I won't have to much trouble with any restrictions.
I'm most likely going to be getting a used trailer off Craigslist. There's quite a few here between $300-500.
Excellent point on the wheel size. I've been pretty turned off by trailers with such tiny wheels, you definitely put it into words why I should be.
It seems that trailers don't have to be titled and registered in Oregon, but do all trailers come with a title? I assume that means they have a VIN somewhere?
Any tips for inspecting a used trailer to see if it's any good? Anything I should specifically be aware of? What should I be sure is there, and what should I be sure to avoid?
Buying a used trailer, I'd look for a good frame, no cracked welds or damage. You could pull a wheel and check the bearings, but if you don't see signs of overheating or seriously leaking seals, I'd just plan on replacing the bearings and seals when you get it home. Same as the tires, if they look O.K., the axle is most likely perpendicular to the draw bar. Check the dates of the tire manufacture and replace if more than 5-6 years old.

If no registration or license required in Oregon, then have a copy of the bill of sale in RV when traveling. VIN or serial number is usually stamped in the tongue of a manufactured trailer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

"We" have a small trailer that was started by our now 48 year son when he was in high school. A few years later our older son finished it with the rear axle, springs, and 13" wheels from an older Honda wagon. I have used it to haul Honda CT90's and a Honda GL500 Silverwing from OR to WV and places in between with no license and no brakes without any problems. OR does not require a license for trailers less than 1800 lbs. loaded weight. Although I have never weighed it, I would guess that the weight of it and either the two 90's or the Silverwing (about 500 lbs) would be considerably less than 1800 lbs, possibly less than 1000. I also used it to haul the 90's to our bow elk hunting camp for years before building devices to carry them on each end of the tracker.

Before the first cross country trip with the trailer and bikes I did consider licensing it, but thought I would just go ahead and see what happened, and nothing did. We did blow a tire somewhere in the mid-west one time that also took the fender with it, so carry a spare. I think the problem was that the tires were old.

After hauling the 90's several times with only tie downs and having them fall together on bumpy logging roads because the wheels would slide sideways, I built two metal "channels" with a sort of ramp at the end to stop the front wheels. These attached to the trailer at both ends with pins that went through the channel and trailer frame. That kept the wheels in place and they were easily removable. I would recommend something like this, or another method to keep the wheels from moving sideways, because when that happens it causes slack in one side of the tie downs and the bike can fall.

I also have another HF trailer with 8" wheels, but I would not even consider going very far with it, and only with a few hundred lbs. even for short trips.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #11

Thanks a lot, guys. It sounds like there's not that much to worry about in getting a trailer as long as I follow my states laws which are pretty lacks.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #12

Have had 3 different motorcycle trailers my most recent being a 2015 "big" Zeiman 3 rail with extended tongue and storage box but none of them ever have had brakes from the factory.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are getting a used trailer you need to find out when was the last time they did the bearings and also check the DOT Date on the side wall of the tires. Just because they look good does not mean they are good. They need replacing about every 7-10 years just like MH tires, no matter how many miles are on them. They age out from the inside.
As others have said, you also need a spare tire and a way to change it, a Jack, unless you plan on unloading it and have someone hold it up while you change the tire
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought an exact trailer that HF sells, with the 8" wheels, when I got married back in 1985. Towed my 2 ATCs on it, 4-6 times a year, 350 miles round trip, for 20 years, and only blew 1 tire. I did, however, go through several wheel bearings (those little tires are SPINNING at 65 mph!). Because the trailer folds up, it has been stored inside my garage, and it still has the original plywood on it! I still have it today and used it occasionally for odd jobs.
CA does require lights and licensing, but not brakes on a trailer that small.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer