Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I had Honda make me a key that would turn in the ignition but not start the car. I felt better doing that in case somebody saw the key and tried to break in and steal it. I turn the key OFF and leave it in. The steering lock does not lock till the key is removed. I also ran a charge line and now never ever have a dead battery.

Dave

djhinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
I checked last night and it did lock. I was surprised both that it locked but also that you had to turn it THAT far to lock it. At any rate, that answers my question. I'll use the valet key for towing and install a charging circuit.
Good answer!

The use of the valet key will disable your remote locks so you will need to use a key to lock the car.

Options:

1. Larger battery in CRV - There are several posts on that mod that folks like regardless of using it as toad or not.

2. Fuse bypass switch - Simple, effective but doesn't deal with the small CRV battery. It was our option of choice but not by a lot of margin over the charge line. BTW...we have never had a dead battery doing this even after leaving the care in ACC position over night.

Don't forget that along with doing all the things to prepare the CRV for towing (page 235 on my manual) that you also are supposed to replace your transmission fluid every 2 years or 30,000 miles (combined drive and tow mileage), which ever comes first.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I had Honda make me a key that would turn in the ignition but not start the car. I felt better doing that in case somebody saw the key and tried to break in and steal it. I turn the key OFF and leave it in. The steering lock does not lock till the key is removed. I also ran a charge line and now never ever have a dead battery.

Dave
Intersting and PROBABLY 99% fool proof.

My concern would be that either the key doesn't seat properly and/or vibration causes the key to back out a bit. In such a case you probably wouldn't know the damage that might cause until it was too late. Putting the key in the ACC mode locks the key in place. Also...regardless of the lack of function such a key might have, the appearance of the key would not change the mind of the thief if they were to see that key and be inclined to bust a window so you still have a busted window. So...what have you gained in that area since the bait is still on the hook?

BTW...while I respect the concern about the someone seeing a key in the lock and trying to steal the car, consider this as opinions of a person that use to steal cars (repo man ) for a living...

1. Thieves will want a quick get away. It is one thing to gain entry (break a window or other method) and drive a car away but it it entirely another thing to also have to disconnect that car from a tow bar. Of course you have locking tow bar pins...right?

2. If you are leaving your MH & toad and will be out of site (including overnight parking but not unhooking), I would still remove any key and then lock the car. That will both remove the "appearance" of a key in the ignition since the thief wouldn't know it was a blank until they tried to turn it and avoid any damage that might occur when the thief attempts to get in the car.

The side benefit of #2 is that it could be a good reminder to start the car and go through the towing preps after a break in a long day of towing or an overnight stay.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
2. If you are leaving your MH & toad and will be out of site (including overnight parking but not unhooking), I would still remove any key and then lock the car. That will both remove the "appearance" of a key in the ignition since the thief wouldn't know it was a blank until they tried to turn it and avoid any damage that might occur when the thief attempts to get in the car.

The side benefit of #2 is that it could be a good reminder to start the car and go through the towing preps after a break in a long day of towing or an overnight stay.
I always remove the key and lock my Element overnight. I have a 10 minute warmup routine for the trans when I am walking the dogs just prior to pulling out in the morning. At the end of the warmup (as per spec), with the trans in neutral, I turn the key to shut off the motor and that is it. I have towed multiple days in a row with no problems at all.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tested this morning and as several people have already said, the steering does NOT lock until the key is removed. I was able to move the wheel from stop to stop and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post

Dave
I'm happy to find someone else who tows with the key off. If you can leave the key in the ignition in the OFF position then why wouldn't Honda just put that in owner's manual? Dave, if you're turning your key off what was draining your battery? Did you have a braking system plugged in to the 12V port?
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #20
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
HA! I just got a mental image of everyone running to their cars to check this out!

Anyway, I just did and on my Element, when the shifter is in neutral, you can turn the key to off, but there is still one more click to go in order to remove it. You cannot get to that unless it is in park. I guess that's why I haven't had any problems draining my battery, as the car really is off. Strange that with the same motor & trans, there are such differences.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is funny. I haven't visited the Toad and Towing section of the forum in over a year, but the same old debates are still going on. And I still can 't figure why anyone would bother to screw around with pulling fuses or disconnecting this and switching that. Just install a darn charge line and be done with it.

Enjoy!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #22

We just had a tow bar installed this past week, and the two hour drive killed the battery in our 2009 Honda Crv, which brought me to this forum. I suppose that now, I will have to figure out which of the solutions offered, is the best route to take on trip #2.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhine View Post
We just had a tow bar installed this past week, and the two hour drive killed the battery in our 2009 Honda Crv, which brought me to this forum. I suppose that now, I will have to figure out which of the solutions offered, is the best route to take on trip #2.

It's been a few months. What did you do? Our coach is going in this week to get the charging line installed. Tiffin say's it's connected, but I don't think it is. Haven't been on extended trips for a few months. I have been stopping after two hours, (something I need to do anyway) and when I do, I start the car. After the line is installed, I shouldn't have to do that anymore. I will carry the power pack until I'm sure though.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
We bit the bullet and bought a 2013 CR-V to flat tow rather than using our tow dolly. **As a result I have a like-new EZE-Tow for sale. Still in BRAND NEW condition.**

Seriously, the owner's manual says to leave the key in the accessory position. The 2013 CR-V does not have a locking steering wheel. Why do I need to leave it in the accessory position? Is there a tranny pump that is still pumping?

Second, I plan on buying the RVI2 Braking system rather than a permanent mounted system. It can be used in my 87 Jeep Cherokee when going to the mountains for some 4x4 fun. I've read a lot of CR-V dead batteries posts and the obvious fix is to pull/bypass the fuse when towing. If I pull the fuse I kill power to the 12V sockets needed by the RVI2. I'm aware that a more permanent fix is to install a charging circuit from the coach. That is my plan B.

Completely turning off the CR-V will solve the battery drain issue as nothing will be drawing power except the RVI2 plugged into the 12V socket. That's not going to kill your battery in 6 hours. So, other than the owner's manual saying so, does anyone know the real reason behind leaving your key at the accessory position? Thanks!
Sounds like a plan but, give this a try,

Start the car and run the shifter from D into N as per the set up in the Manual. This part is Non Negotiable to position the transmission internals.

Now turn the key to the last stop from the run position to shut the engine off. That is the Acc position.

Now, try to turn the key beyond this point to Off. In order to do this, you need to step on the brake and shift to Park.

So, here's the thing, if you can tow the CRV in Park, there is no need to leave the key in the Acc position. See my point?

I am one that can attest to the battery issue on the CRV. Even if you put in a charge line or not, pull fuses or not, you will end up with a dead battery at some point. To avoid swollen blood vessels in your forehead, loose the OEM toy battery and put in the real group 24 battery with at least 850 CCA as opposed to the OEM 400 CCA Toy.
Go to your Honda Parts counter and ask for the 2 piece battery tray for a 2013 Odessy (under $20) and then go to the battery supplier of your choice and get a group 24. Problem solved. End of story.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #25

We have just sarted to tow a Honda 2013 CRV. We have a charge line and killed the battery after the 2nd day of towing. Did not know about changing to a larger battery at the time. We had a new battery installed and again had a dead battery. Finally bought the Fusemaster and that has solved all our problems.

We find it easier to just resolve problems than keep going around in circles.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM   #26

We actually havent been back out yet with a tow. I saw a video of the self install of a charging line that the braking system sells. Looks pretty easy. I discovered that one thing we didnt do the first time was to actually turn off the nav system. We stop every couple of hours as well. Let us know how your trip goes. Our next towing experience will be Christmas.