Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leave key in accessory position. 2013 CR-V

We bit the bullet and bought a 2013 CR-V to flat tow rather than using our tow dolly. **As a result I have a like-new EZE-Tow for sale. Still in BRAND NEW condition.**

Seriously, the owner's manual says to leave the key in the accessory position. The 2013 CR-V does not have a locking steering wheel. Why do I need to leave it in the accessory position? Is there a tranny pump that is still pumping?

Second, I plan on buying the RVI2 Braking system rather than a permanent mounted system. It can be used in my 87 Jeep Cherokee when going to the mountains for some 4x4 fun. I've read a lot of CR-V dead batteries posts and the obvious fix is to pull/bypass the fuse when towing. If I pull the fuse I kill power to the 12V sockets needed by the RVI2. I'm aware that a more permanent fix is to install a charging circuit from the coach. That is my plan B.

Completely turning off the CR-V will solve the battery drain issue as nothing will be drawing power except the RVI2 plugged into the 12V socket. That's not going to kill your battery in 6 hours. So, other than the owner's manual saying so, does anyone know the real reason behind leaving your key at the accessory position? Thanks!

Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
So, other than the owner's manual saying so, does anyone know the real reason behind leaving your key at the accessory position? Thanks!
I'm a firm believer of following the manufacturer instructions and I do leave my key in the accessory position when towing. That said, why do your believe that the CRV does not have a locking steering wheel.

If I go to my 2012 CRV, key in the off position, turn the wheel ~ 90 degrees, the wheel will lock.

Why chance it and lose the warranty?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We too just bought a 2013 CRV and are getting it ready to tow. You can bet I will follow the EXACT procedure for towing that Honda printed in the owner's manual! I don't want to take a chance on voiding my warranty!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I'm a firm believer of following the manufacturer instructions and I do leave my key in the accessory position when towing. That said, why do your believe that the CRV does not have a locking steering wheel.

If I go to my 2012 CRV, key in the off position, turn the wheel ~ 90 degrees, the wheel will lock.

Why chance it and lose the warranty?
Because I moved the moved the steering wheel and it didn't lock. Having said that, I can tell you that I didn't move it as far as 90 degrees in either direction. I know manufacturers are getting away from locked steering wheels. I have an 2003 Grand Caravan and a 2013 Chrysler 200 that I've pulled on my tow dolly. Neither of those has a locking steering wheel.

I know what the manual says. It's not uncommon for owner's manuals to be incorrect. Sometimes corrections don't make their way into the new model year's manuals. After all, we're only human. I'm not saying that I'm smarter than the engineers who built the car, but I tend to analyze everything and ask questions, hence this thread. I will check the CR-V for a locking steering wheel when I get home tonight. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

I have posted this before, the easiest way to avoid a run down battery is to replace the OEM 420CCA battery with a group 24 850+CCA replacement battery. Honda uses a minimum capacity spec battery that will not withstand sustained voltage draw.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have posted this before, the easiest way to avoid a run down battery is to replace the OEM 420CCA battery with a group 24 850+CCA replacement battery. Honda uses a minimum capacity spec battery that will not withstand sustained voltage draw.

Or you can run a charging line from your coach to the towed battery. Did that on my accord for several years. Never had a dead battery.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Because I moved the moved the steering wheel and it didn't lock. Having said that, I can tell you that I didn't move it as far as 90 degrees in either direction. I know manufacturers are getting away from locked steering wheels. I have an 2003 Grand Caravan and a 2013 Chrysler 200 that I've pulled on my tow dolly. Neither of those has a locking steering wheel.

I know what the manual says. It's not uncommon for owner's manuals to be incorrect. Sometimes corrections don't make their way into the new model year's manuals. After all, we're only human. I'm not saying that I'm smarter than the engineers who built the car, but I tend to analyze everything and ask questions, hence this thread. I will check the CR-V for a locking steering wheel when I get home tonight. Thanks.
I'm with you. I would not leave the key in the accessory position unless I was required to. Why don't you get back with us after you check into it a bit further? Go ahead and see if you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the key in the "off" position.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just checked our 2014 CR-V and with the key out, the steering wheel does indeed lock when turned 90 degrees. Looks like key in ACC position is correct for towing.

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I just checked our 2014 CR-V and with the key out, the steering wheel does indeed lock when turned 90 degrees. Looks like key in ACC position is correct for towing.

Ditto with my 2014 CR-V . . . you pull it hard 90 degrees and the steering wheel locks.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Or you can run a charging line from your coach to the towed battery. Did that on my accord for several years. Never had a dead battery.

We have a 2013 CRV.
Ditto the charge line. We've never had a dead battery and we leave the valet key in accessory position.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I checked last night and it did lock. I was surprised both that it locked but also that you had to turn it THAT far to lock it. At any rate, that answers my question. I'll use the valet key for towing and install a charging circuit.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
I checked last night and it did lock. I was surprised both that it locked but also that you had to turn it THAT far to lock it. At any rate, that answers my question. I'll use the valet key for towing and install a charging circuit.

What happens if you turn the key on, then turn the key off but do not remove the key, does the wheel still lock? Most Asian imports built since 2009 do not lock the steering wheel till you remove the key.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
What happens if you turn the key on, then turn the key off but do not remove the key, does the wheel still lock? Most Asian imports built since 2009 do not lock the steering wheel till you remove the key.
Tried that too. Still locks.

Edit: Come to think of it, when I was testing I don't think I went all the way to the ON position. I think I only tried it from the ACC position. I'm going to try again when my bride gets home.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

Another advantage to having a charge line is you can charge the car battery if someone forgets to turn the car off accessory when stopping for the night. Don't ask how I know that...

Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote