Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LED Taillights on Toad

Does anyone tow a vehicle with LED taillights? We have a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid that has LED taillights and I don't think there is a harness to utilize the LED lights. I'm just starting to look into all that is needed to make it towable. I've been in connect with Blueox about a baseplate for the hybrid but as of yet not the harness.

Thanks
Larry G

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I use a set of LED trailer lights. On our Jeep I velcro'd them inside the tailgate window. They were bright enough to go throuh the "deep tint" without a problem. On our pick-up I velcro them to the top of the tailgate. I ran a set of wires(4) under the vehicle into the back or bed. They work fine and there is no messing with the toad's wiring.

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not real sure of your question. I have a Honda CR-V with independent LED lights permanently installed within the CR-V taillight lens. There is an unused light location in the lens. Just drill a hole and insert the LED. Wired to the coach. Never had a problem and did not have to touch the CR-V wires.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the last post about an independent harnass.

I have two toads, 2008 Chrysler minivan and 2008 Jeep and both are rigged with a separate towing light harness. That way you don't tap into the auto harness and have the chance of frying any of the expensive electronics.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I just wanted to know what people are using on toads with LED taillights.
On the Blueox site there're showing a light bar that goes in a receiver hitch of the toad for the Ford Flex with LED lights, I'm assuming that the LED's in the vehicle are more difficult to hook-up, so they go with the light bar. Our car won't have a hitch, so the bar setup is out. I haven't looked, in depth at the taillights on the car yet to see if there's room for another bulb but they seem to be not deep.
I've been looking at the suction cup or magnet lights as a backup if things don't work out. If I do go this way I'd like to temporarily mount them on the package tray so they don't come up misssing someday.

Thanks
Larry G
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2009 Ford Flex with LED tail lights. We had a Blue Ox baseplate and wiring harness installed and all works great.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
glennb100, that's great to hear, by any chance would you know the Blueox wiring kit number that you had installed on your Flex?

Thanks
Larry G
Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
I've been looking at the suction cup or magnet lights as a backup if things don't work out. If I do go this way I'd like to temporarily mount them on the package tray so they don't come up misssing someday.

Thanks
Larry G
they make wireless led tow lights with magnetic mounts. the transmitter plugs in at the moho receiver hitch. maybe they would work on your package tray?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Let's stay on the topic of LED tail lights.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Let's stay on the topic of LED tail lights.

Thanks!
huh?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW I agree with DAN L. Is the question about how will LED's work or is there a problem hooking up the a Toad that has LED's as original equipment instead of regular bulbs? I have not looked at a car with LED's as original equipment but diodes should still work, I think?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi All, I've got everything installed and ready to go, just need to connect and do a test drive. To answer my ? on the LED taillights. I used the Roadmaster Universal wirinng kit with the diodes and just spliced into the light wires in the trunk, Yes it does connect like regular lights.
Our Mercury Milan has seperate turn signals but I wired it to use the brake lights as the turns, two less diodes. Everything works when tested but I haven't yet connected to the MH, thats coming later this week
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have LED lights in my GMC Acadia. Nothing different about them and any standard toad wiring kit or instructions will work just fine. The lights work like any other as far as wiring is concerned - there are a stop, tail and turn signal wires to the tail light assembly and you tap in there. Use diodes to prevent backfeed into the tad's own systems, but that is standard procedure with any method that uses the existing lights.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote