Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Leisure travel Unity Towing

We have a 2011 Leisure Travel Unity built on a Sprinter. It's rated to tow 5000 pounds and we would love to tow a Jeep Wrangler or something along those lines. My concern is just how well it will pull the Jeep. Will it be sluggish and struggle on uphill grades or will it do ok. I have this fear I'll invest in the jeep and find its just to much for the Unity. Anyone with any experience with this type of setup or any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The traditional rule of thumb for large vehicle performance is no more than 100 lbs per horsepower. Even at 100:1, performance on hills over 3% grade will be sluggish.

So what is the combined weight of coach + Jeep vs the hp of the Sprinter power plant?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

The Unity has a 3.0l diesel with 188hp and gvwr of 11030 lbs. the Wrangler should be between 3800 - 4000 lbs or so.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidean
The Unity has a 3.0l diesel with 188hp and gvwr of 11030 lbs. the Wrangler should be between 3800 - 4000 lbs or so.
Capacities include 26.4 gallons fuel,30 gallons water, 37 gray water and 29 gal black. Thanks very much for your response, very much appreciated!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Gidean, for calculations use 8 lbs. per gallon water. If every tank is filled you will have 960 lbs. You will not likely have everything filled at the same time but you need to use those numbers for safety.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same question. So far the results have centered around a commonly mentioned horsepower per pound number. However, most of use would like to know the durability expected and the handling resulting from towing. This would be specific to the Sprinter.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

I really caution against using the 5000 lb towing capacity on any Class B or possibly a C RV as really the amount that can be towed.

I suspect the GVWR + 5000 is greater than the rated Combined Weight rating on any Class B at least and one would really have to strip the RV weight down from its GVWR to meet the combined weight spec. I have a Leisure Van Libero with a GVWR of 12,300 lbs and a tow weight of 5,000 but a combined weight rating of 16,000 lbs. So to tow a 5,000 lb load, my RV GVWR becomes 11,000lbs which is not possible unless I don't carry anything in the RV.

The toad I use with my Libero is a Smart Car that weighs 1,800 lbs. I hardy know it is there from a performance perspective. I have another toad, a Chevy Malibu I towed behind my Monaco Dynasty. It weighed about 3,400lbs and did not really notice a performance issue but when I tried it with my Libero, I really knew it was there from a performance perspective and I decided to buy the Smart if I was going to tow anything with the Libero.

Hope this helps. Suggest looking at the combined weight before selecting the Toad to pull.

Good luck and happy RVing.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Very good advice on the GCWR. Ironically I am unable to find the GCWR anywhere n the vehicle. The sections on the spec sheet for this were left blank. I will contact mfg for the info. The RV is specced at 11030. the manufactures rep (not the dealer) says I should be fine pulling the wrangler. I will get the GWCR and continue to research it. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Good luck. The owners manual for my Leisure Van Libero has the GCWR stated therein. If it is not there on yours indeed I suggest you give Brad @ EEE a call on that.

The Libero has a higher GVWR than the Unity. It has a longer wheelbase, larger tanks and is a bit wider and a bit longer than the Unity.

Is the GCWR listed on the label on the RV.

The Unity is a nice unit.