Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #1

Lesson learned with Blue Ox

Yesterday while departing Phoenix for home in Texas in our Entegra Cornerstone, I noticed that the PS arm on my Avail was not locking. I reset it and it seemed to lock before departing. Down the road I noticed a little bucking when we tried to stop at a Cracker Barrel that had RV spaces full of cars, as we pulled around their lot.
Headed on down road about 40 miles to next one. After meal I pulled out on street to be straight and inspected connections. All looked fine but again the “lock” on PS side arm was easily disengaged.
Pulled pin, moved arm in and out several times and reinstalled pin and lock. Back on I-10 I kept an eye on toad (F150).
After many lane changes due to truck traffic we were rolling in the open and I suddenly noticed the truck was way out left in the rear, having broken the pin (apparently) on the PS arm. Managed to get everything to a stop, safety cables did their job as dod Air Force one brakes and only have a slightly bent hitch/bar connection from torque and a very small scuff on truck plastic. Toad was nose to tail on coach but no damage.
Obviously the arm lock mechanism was failing/failed and I should have disconnected when it would not stay locked and had my DW drive the toad. Lesson learned.
DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for sharing. Sound advice.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Google tow bar failures. One brand features prominently.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Google tow bar failures. One brand features prominently.

Do you think that is because one is more popular and out there in higher numbers than another? Or that it’s not built as well?
walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I Googled towbar fails and got mostly Roadmaster and Demco. Gosh, its almost like they tailor the results to the user. They wouldn't do that, would they? It's almost like an information bubble or something.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
Yesterday while departing Phoenix for home in Texas in our Entegra Cornerstone, I noticed that the PS arm on my Avail was not locking. I reset it and it seemed to lock before departing. Down the road I noticed a little bucking when we tried to stop at a Cracker Barrel that had RV spaces full of cars, as we pulled around their lot.
Headed on down road about 40 miles to next one. After meal I pulled out on street to be straight and inspected connections. All looked fine but again the “lock” on PS side arm was easily disengaged.
Pulled pin, moved arm in and out several times and reinstalled pin and lock. Back on I-10 I kept an eye on toad (F150).
After many lane changes due to truck traffic we were rolling in the open and I suddenly noticed the truck was way out left in the rear, having broken the pin (apparently) on the PS arm. Managed to get everything to a stop, safety cables did their job as dod Air Force one brakes and only have a slightly bent hitch/bar connection from torque and a very small scuff on truck plastic. Toad was nose to tail on coach but no damage.
Obviously the arm lock mechanism was failing/failed and I should have disconnected when it would not stay locked and had my DW drive the toad. Lesson learned.
That is their newest towbar. Have you contacted them? What did they say? I would bet they will be very interested.

Quote:
I suddenly noticed the truck was way out left in the rear, having broken the pin (apparently) on the PS arm.
Do you mean the Lug Bracket pins? Boy oh boy it sure would take a lot of force to break one of these! I've had the retainer clip stolen once when were were eating lunch at a rest area and the pin worked its way out and is somewhere in Tennessee. When we got stopped I found the other retainer clip was in the open position. The toad acted exactly like yours did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triple Lug Bracket.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	195207  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
I Googled towbar fails and got mostly Roadmaster and Demco. Gosh, its almost like they tailor the results to the user. They wouldn't do that, would they? It's almost like an information bubble or something.
You know, that is the oddest thing. My wife can Google something when she is using her Gail account and get one set of results. When I Googled the same thing using my Gmail account I got a different set of results! I never thought about them slanting the results.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

I'm very interested in this since I run a Blue Ox towbar. Any chance of a picture where it broke? Also very interested in what Blue Ox might have to say.
I've been thinking for some time, you control the search engines and you control society..... Good thing I'm not into conspiracies, but it makes you think.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

We use an Avail too. I receive mostly blueox hits when I google tow bar failures...yikes!

Please post a photo of what failed.

BTW, I guess that is why they recommend that the doggone thing be returned to the factory every two years or 10,000 miles for a $95.00 minimum cost service.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH2 View Post
David, I don't think your lesson has reached its conclusion until you've contacted Blueox to find out Why this happened and What they suggest to do about it.
From the sounds of your post, you were very fortunate to come away relatively unharmed but if this were mine, I'd want answers before using it again.
Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #11

I don't even use those round spring retainer pins on my tractor because they come out to easily.

https://smile.amazon.com/Special-Pro...h+spring+clips

I wouldn't think of using them on my tow bar.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I’ve been using them for 15 years and never had one come loose. Are you aware that there is a correct and an incorrect way to lock them?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I’ve been using them for 15 years and never had one come loose. Are you aware that there is a correct and an incorrect way to lock them?
I don't think these pins are what the op is referring too. But after finding one of mine tampered with, I purchased this set from Blueox. No more pin issues.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Locks...x/BX88101.html
Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an Alpha tow bar from Blue Ox. It has been acting up lately, one of the legs won't lock as dependably as before. It won't lock in the closed (fold for not towing) position at all and sometimes it won't lock in the towing extended position unless I try it 2-3 times. No total failure yet. I am going to speak to the Blue Ox folks at FMCA in Perry this week to see how to fix it. WKYP.

Regards.

Chuck

Tags
blue ox