Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Lexus ES/Toyota Camry as a Dinghy

I would like to pull a 2005 Lexus ES 330 as a dinghy behind a Monaco motor home built on a Workhourse chassis having an 8.1 L gas engine. Certainly a Lexus ES is probably the same as a Toyota Camry. I understand that I will need to add an electric pump to cool the transmission and a breaking device. I would appreciate advice with regard to the details of preparing a Lexus ES/Toyota Camry to serve as a dinghy. Has anyone successfully used such a car as a dinghy?
John Howell

howelljh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello and
I am not familiar with your particular vehicle but I'm sure someone with more experience then I will give you some good advice.

'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with REMCO Home | Remco Towing

They are the knowledge base for towing a dinghy.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed a 2007 Toyota Avalon about 30,000 miles using a Demco Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly. I'm now towing a 2011 Chev Malibu 4 down and wish every day I had my Avalon back. If you're set on towing 4 down then take Kens advice and check with Remco. Then check with Blue Ox or some other tow bar supplier to see if base plates are available for either car.

Oops! Just checked Blue Ox and they make a base plate for a Camry but not a Lexus.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought a 5 speed manual 2009 Camry that is approved for 4 down towing. The best part was that it was sitting on the lot for so long, that the dealer was dying to get rid of it. 8k off the sticker and I am driving a fantastic toad that is easy as pie to tow4 down. Turn the key to acc and go. No fuses to pull or fuss with and tows real nice.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've seen an ES330 dolly-towed and can't think of any reason that a lube pump would not work as well. Remco seems to agree - they offer a Lube Pump for the ES330.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
We have towed two Lexus, an 2000 RX300 and a 2007 RX350, both using a Remco lube pump. Never any problem with the car's transmission.

2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QGP
garymkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Do you have to bleed the remco lube pump, we are preparing our RX350 for towing.
Any advice would be appreciated.
calamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
The pump on our RX350 is completely automatic, all we do is connect the cord to the car and turn the pump on from the control unit in the coach. That is all there is to it.

2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QGP
garymkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote