Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #15

I've toad the wrangler before and it is a very good one. I would like to look at the gladiator when they come out with it...also the diesel option in the jeep.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #16

I had a Wrangler for 2 years, and traded it in on a Liberty last August.

I really liked the Wrangler -- no question. But it turns out that I've got a real voice problem, and it turned out that if we were driving down the road, I couldn't talk to whomever was with me. Of course, I didn't have the hard top, so I have no idea how much of a difference that would have made, but I always felt that having a hard-top kind of negated part of the reason I wanted a Wrangler to begin with. So I never really wanted to go with that option.

I don't do a ton of off-roading, although I'll certainly take the Liberty into the 4-wheel drive trails in Colorado. But I know that I'm not going to do the extreme stuff, so for me, the Liberty will suit me just fine.

In either case, towing is a breeze.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #17

Thanks for this topic. I was considering the Wrangler and Liberty.

Looks like the Liberty is more practical and yet off road capable.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:

Looks like the Liberty is more practical and yet off road capable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What is your definition of "off road capable"? Think of the Liberty as a tamer Wrangler. Both are very capable offroad in their stock form. The Wrangler is a "convertible", which has its own problems and limitations.

The biggest difference lies in how you want to use the vehicle and how, or if, you want to modify the vehicle. The aftermarket for increasing the capabilities of the Liberty is limited, but absolutely massive for the Wrangler.

The Liberty can be mildly lifted (this link is an example) (2.5") for larger tires, the Wrangler with a 10 inch lift and will clear 38" tires.

I suspect that the original poster would be perfectly happy with the Liberty.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvinc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:

Looks like the Liberty is more practical and yet off road capable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What is your definition of "off road capable"? Think of the Liberty as a tamer Wrangler. Both are very capable offroad in their stock form. The Wrangler is a "convertible", which has its own problems and limitations.

The biggest difference lies in how you want to use the vehicle and how, or if, you want to modify the vehicle. The aftermarket for increasing the capabilities of the Liberty is limited, but absolutely massive for the Wrangler.

The Liberty can be mildly lifted (this link is an example) (2.5") for larger tires, the Wrangler with a 10 inch lift and will clear 38" tires.

I suspect that the original poster would be perfectly happy with the Liberty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no intention of trying to negotiate the Rubicon with a Liberty. I was commenting on the fact that the Liberty will provide me with reasonable off road ability and still provide me with practical useage, (ie. carry the two dogs, groceries, two more passengers with acceptable comfort and room, etc).

I realize that the Wrangler is considerably more capable off road and can be outfitted to accomplish greater off road ability.

2003 KSDP
Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvinc:
What is your definition of "off road capable"? Think of the Liberty as a tamer Wrangler.

&lt;snip&gt;

I suspect that the original poster would be perfectly happy with the Liberty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have no intention of trying to negotiate the Rubicon with a Liberty. I was commenting on the fact that the Liberty will provide me with reasonable off road ability and still provide me with practical useage, (ie. carry the two dogs, groceries, two more passengers with acceptable comfort and room, etc).

I realize that the Wrangler is considerably more capable off road and can be outfitted to accomplish greater off road ability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was not trying to imply otherwise. Just pointing out some differences between the Liberty and Wrangler. The Wrangler is a 2 two door and not the best for additional passengers.

Though, you know, you could probably do the Rubicon in a Liberty with only a few winch/strappings.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobAndTeresa:
We currently to an Accord and in the near future are planning to get a FWD vehicle for a toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>BTW, a Four Wheel Drive vehicle is commonly abbreviated as 4WD. This keeps it from being confused with the Front Wheel Drive (FWD) nomenclature. Isn't the Accord already a FWD? It's a nit, I know.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #22

Alvin,

I misunderstood your post. I thought you were indicating that the Liberty would be very limited in its off road ability vs the wrangler. My apologies.

Yes, my brother would take the Liberty and probably make it through the Rubicon, but not me!

2003 KSDP
Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #23

Does the Jeep Liberty require the Command Trac 4WD system to tow four down? Or can either 4WD system offered by Jeep used in the Liberty for four down towing?

2003 KSDP
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #24

I've been digging around alot before the purchase and have decided to wait awhile as the '07 Wrangler is going to have a V-6, and both 2-dr AND 4-dr models. Both will be available in the Rubicon upgrade, will have pw, power locks, etc. I've seen pics and looks promising. It is still not as "refined" as the Liberty for comfort features, but is alleged to be a BIG step up and maintain the off-road capabilities.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #25

That sounds like it will be a great upgrade and still keep the off road ability with the Rubicon edition.

2003 KSDP
Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #26

Here's my Jeep 'toad'. I gave up refinement a long time ago to be able to get a little farther off the beaten path. And yes, it has done the Rubicon trail! It still works well as an open top family fun machine though, and my two little girls love to ride around in it even on the street.

Ford chassis
Josh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #27

Nice looking rig!

2003 KSDP
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #28

Thanks! She's a real goat!

Ford chassis
Josh D is offline   Reply With Quote