Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #1

We currently to an Accord and in the near future are planning to get a FWD vehicle for a toad.

Considering CRV, Wrangler or Liberty. I want a good toadm however also want something good for some 4-wheeling, nothing wxtreme but want something that won't leave us wanting. Those that have a FWD will prbably understand what I'm saying.

I have no problem with any of these but want to try to make an educated decision on which.

Was kind of leaning toward the Liberty, but not sure how they are for getting off the beaten path.

Appreciate any input from those who have or have had any of them.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #2

We currently to an Accord and in the near future are planning to get a FWD vehicle for a toad.

Considering CRV, Wrangler or Liberty. I want a good toadm however also want something good for some 4-wheeling, nothing wxtreme but want something that won't leave us wanting. Those that have a FWD will prbably understand what I'm saying.

I have no problem with any of these but want to try to make an educated decision on which.

Was kind of leaning toward the Liberty, but not sure how they are for getting off the beaten path.

Appreciate any input from those who have or have had any of them.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, I can't help with the others but the Wrangler TJ is great off road and makes a good toad. I towed mine behind a class A and then behind a fiver before getting the toyhauler. Just put the trans in park, the transfer case in neutral, and you're good to go. Also, the tow bar is a lot easier on the wrangler IMO but with the others you will probably have a little better ride and comfort. If I was getting another I would buy the Rubicon. The way it comes from Jeep it is ready for anything sanely possible, get it with an auto and all the extras and you will be one happy camper.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

All of the 4WD Jeeps are great for towing. It's going to depend upon what your personal preferences are as to which is best for you. We tow either the Wrangler or the Grand Cherokee , depending upon where we are going. The Grand Cherokee is roomy, very comfortable, and goes off-road in most places.

The Wrangler is short (and mine is the long wheelbase Unlimited model too) so there's not as much cargo space. You have to lift your feet over the tub to get in and out and the canvas tops make more wind noise. Overall the Wrangler is a less refined vehicle than a GC or Liberty.

With the Liberty you get a hard top, less wind noise, and still get some decent off-road capability. But, you just can't beat the Wrangler for top down travel with excellent views and it's off-road prowess is legendary. Personally, I plan on replaceing my Wrangler Unlimited with a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited next for even more off-road capabilities because I don't mind putting up with the lack of refinements. Besides, if we need to haul more people or things the Grand Cherokee is parked right next to it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Mark we want to see some of these "elevated wheel" pics from you!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #6

Hi,
I have a 97 Wrangler that I tow behind my coach and it tows nicely. Since my rig is a diesel, I'd like to have the Liberty CRD...just because of same fuel for both rigs. The Liberty is a very capable off road machine...with the Wrangler being more so. Unless you are planning to cross the Rubicon trail, you may not need the Wrangler. The liberty is a nicer ride with more creature comforts. It is uni-body construction, while the wrangler is body on frame, if that helps on your decision.

Now, if I could get a Rubicon wrangler with the 2.8 diesel out of the Liberty with a 6 speed transmission, I would be one happy camper!!

D

2002 Monaco Knight 32PBD.
dsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It's funny the three toads you mention as possiblities are 3 I've considered and have owned two of them.

My favorite towed vehicle by far was the Wrangler, but unfortunately, it was an impractical vehicle for us. With two adults and 3 kids in the family, the Wrangler required the 3 kids to sit in the back seat of a vehicle designed for two. I actually added a third seat belt to factory seat belt anchors, but finally decided that I had to sell the Wrangler.

We did use our Wrangler when touring the Michigan UP last Summer, and certainly went places that a less capable vehicle wouldn't be able to go. My Wrangler, pictured below at St Ignace looking at the Mackinac Bridge was my project vehicle as Jeeps can be. There's no limit to modifications or items you can add to a Jeep. I called mine my Ebay Jeep, as I bought a Rubicon suspension parts, Mickey Thompson wheels, nerf bars, driving lights, new top, new bumpers, and a whole bunch more stuff off Ebay and had fun working on the Jeep. I slightly lifted the Jeep, and added 31" tires to it making it a capable off-roader without affecting it's driveability or towability.

Currently, I'm setting up a CRV as a toad. My wife loves the vehicle and uses it as her around town grocery getting car. Certainly it's not an off-road vehicle like the Jeep was, but it turns out to be a "practical" toad for us. Much quieter, and more comfortable riding than the short wheelbase Wrangler, but no where near the fun.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi RobAndTeresa ,

Well my last toad was 1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grand, and my current toad is 2004 Jeep Wrangler-X, so you know what I would pick !! As the others have said the others have more comfort, but nothing beats a Wrangler for off the sales floor off road ability!! Also there is not a better vehicle for site seeing, then going for a ride either on or off road as there is being in a Jeep with no doors or roof!!!! Best of luck with what ever you pick!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Check out the new Suzuki Grand Vitara or XL7 4WD. It's a really nice little SUV and has real 4WD drive with a transfer case just like the Jeeps. We've owned two and are contemplating buying a new one later this year - we love the bolder styling on the 2006 Grand Vitara. We know a lot of people who tow Vitaras (or Trackers, which were their twins with aChevy badge until 2004) - they make excellent toads.

Between the Liberty and the Grand Vitara, its mostly a matter of your preference.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #10

We have the Liberty. When we decided to go to 4X4 we narrowed it down to Wrangler and Liberty. The Liberty is much quieter, rides much better, more room and a lot easier to get into and out of. One more: it has a higher ground clearance than a wrangler.

We have had our Liberty on some pretty tuff grounds down in Big Bend National Park, TX. We went through some pretty good washes.

We also used it on some very nasty logging trails in Oregon. No problems.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #11

"It's A JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand"
Old 03-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #12

Love that Jeep thing! I just bought a Liberty last week. Putting tow plate on it next week. Already took it down Padre Island National Seashore (for 5 miles or 6) to get a feel for it. Sweet.

PatT
PatTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Robbie,
We tow a 99 Jeep tj "Wrangler". Lifted, modified,trail jeep and daily driver very simple to tow and hook-up.
If you intend to play, off road 3-4 class trails or hard wheel'in you will need to modify a bit, and you will eventually break something. A counter measure I took was locking hubs on all 4 wheels, kits from Currie enterprises. That alone has saved me a lot of greif. It also reduces your Jeep to a 4 Wheel trailer nothing turns but the hubs and wheels. NOT CHEAP but a warm fuzzy feeling follows when your 800 miles from home, GET OUT AND PLAY!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Swannee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
We've found the Liberty to be a good compromise that fits right in between the CRV and the Wrangler. Almost as off-road worthy as the Wrangler and almost as practical as the CRV.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote