Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
License plate for tow dolly

Any Texas folks know whether a tow dolly needs a license plate?

Some say if the dolly has taillights, brake lights a license plate is not required.

I've been going in circles on Texas DMV.

Thanx
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
There have been many previous posts regarding Texas, tow dollies, and license plates you may want to review;

https://www.google.com/search?q=%27t...earch=irv2.com
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Everything there is to know about Texas DMV law is in this document:

http://www.txdmv.gov%2Ftxdmv-forms%2...dgBWv5tDcIBhfZ

Page 2-20 Deals with Towing Devices and specifically Tow Dollies. It states that Texas does NOT require registration but will issue them if the owner requests it. The reason for that is that other states may require it on some or all such dollies, so Texas makes provision for issuing them if needed.

Here is the relevant paragraph:

Quote:

Register towing devices used to transport secondary vehicles behind motor homes, etc., as
semitrailers at the owner's discretion. Registration of this type is not required in Texas, but
may be required in other jurisdictions. Handle the registration of these vehicles in a
manner identical to that used to register semitrailers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jbwilli1

DMV doesn't know its own laws and most are to lazy to look them up, at least here in IL

I called the Illinois State Police and they informed me that Tow Dollies DO NOT require a license plate nor do you have to have a title on it. It is considered licensed by the vehicle it is carrying.

Recommend you call the Texas Rangers and get their input. They are the ones who will stop you in the road. I've been through TX several times over the past years with my toad on a dolly with no problems.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #6

In laws had one and they never had a tag on it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No tag required and no titles issued by the DMV. Texas Rangers don't do traffic enforcement, that's done by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
barmcd,

Sorry for my mistake. Always thought the Rangers were like our State Police. Shows I'm not from TX.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
barmcd,

Sorry for my mistake. Always thought the Rangers were like our State Police. Shows I'm not from TX.

Best wishes - Richard
No problem Richard. Rangers are like Texas' very own FBI, They have criminal investigative responsibility for major incident crime investigations, unsolved crime/serial crime investigations, public corruption and public integrity investigations, officer involved shooting investigations, and border security operations.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #10

Florida is the same as Texas. No tag required. Just Incase you head this way[emoji4].
Ssowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #11

I live in Fl and when I bought a used tow dolly from the original owner I asked for a copy of the original bill of sale. With no title or registration, I wanted chain of custody documentation in case there was any future question of theft.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Seems to me that if your toad/rig is registered in one state that does not require a tag/registration for the tow dolly, a state which does must abide by the registered state's rule.

It's called the Full Faith & Credit clause of the Constitution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_F..._Credit_Clause
Old 02-10-2019, 04:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciesDaddy View Post
Seems to me that if your toad/rig is registered in one state that does not require a tag/registration for the tow dolly, a state which does must abide by the registered state's rule.

It's called the Full Faith & Credit clause of the Constitution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_F..._Credit_Clause
That's what I understood.

I like things in writing, so I emailed our Department of Finance and Administration (responsible for licensing) and got a response back that they are not titled or licensed. I printed that email and carry it with me .... just in case.

I don't know for a fact, but I always assumed that if someone is putting something in writing and signing his name to it, he's more likely to do the research than he is if you just call.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Thanx, we're heading to Destin in May
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly